Considering leaving the profession for good, could use advice

That was probably the last era of the “if you’re going to eff around, you’re going to ‘find out’ on your own, we’re not here to save you” parent style. I think if we had kids and I raised them the way I was raised, I’d draw the ire of the neighborhood. ‘Junior shooting paintballs at your garage? I’ll throw one over your back fence, light his ass up, just watching out for his eyeballs and we’ll talk about it when he gets home”

That nirvana still lived through at least part of the late 80s and early 90s. We got in rock fights with neighbors, shot basically IED powered ballistic weapons into who the F knows where, set off M80s in school fields, and me and a friend even cut out the center 1/3 of a giant cedar tree in my folks backyard one afternoon so we could spy on the neighborhood better (I think we even hammered in some plywood my dad had in the garage to make a proper deck up there, maybe 50' up).

The real irony is that I think your peers/generation are the ones who first went buck wild with helicoptering, and obsessing over college and fluency in Mandarin at age 3. That would have probably been starting in the late 90s/early 2000s, i.e. the kids who were newborns when I was a teen or in college. They're f-d properly. God help them :) (I actually have no idea if this is true, I just have the irrational urge to yell at clouds and complain about the generation behind mine) But thanks, to your friends, for setting that parenting precedent :)

Interesting note: I just finished recurrent, and I feel pretty refreshed. It's actualy interesting how this kinda counted as rest. It also went very smoothly, and borh my sim partner and the instructor recommend that I put in for LCA.

A new lease on enjoying the career, perhaps?
At my place, LCA get a worse schedule than they could hold on their own, but we don’t do DEC, either. It could be a big bump in quality of life, or it could make it worse. I’d ask around, since this is your biggest priority.

Doing multiple leg new hire OE sounds exhausting to me.

That nirvana still lived through at least part of the late 80s and early 90s. We got in rock fights with neighbors, shot basically IED powered ballistic weapons into who the F knows where, set off M80s in school fields, and me and a friend even cut out the center 1/3 of a giant cedar tree in my folks backyard one afternoon so we could spy on the neighborhood better (I think we even hammered in some plywood my dad had in the garage to make a proper deck up there, maybe 50' up).

The real irony is that I think your peers/generation are the ones who first went buck wild with helicoptering, and obsessing over college and fluency in Mandarin at age 3. That would have probably been starting in the late 90s/early 2000s, i.e. the kids who were newborns when I was a teen or in college. They're f-d properly. God help them :) (I actually have no idea if this is true, I just have the irrational urge to yell at clouds and complain about the generation behind mine) But thanks, to your friends, for setting that parenting precedent :)
Exactly. I think about the irony all the time. The generation of parents that brags about getting burned on the playground slides are the ones who raised the pansies we all complain about today.

At my place, LCA get a worse schedule than they could hold on their own, but we don’t do DEC, either. It could be a big bump in quality of life, or it could make it worse. I’d ask around, since this is your biggest priority.

But I'm guessing, as in not speaking with authority. Its good resume padding and shows some initiative on her part, that will help her resume stand out in the large stack during the next wave.

But I'm guessing, as in not speaking with authority. Its good resume padding and shows some initiative on her part, that will help her resume stand out in the large stack during the next wave.
Not at all what I'm looking for. I love to teach, and I have relatively a lot of experience with what I'm doing. I'd like to be a part of shaping the pilot group.

As far as my schedules, it's hard for them to be worse.

Not at all what I'm looking for. I love to teach, and I have relatively a lot of experience with what I'm doing. I'd like to be a part of shaping the pilot group.

You guys lucky, getting both new flights from LAX to La Paz and Monterrey. Great day trips!

I’ve always wondered, is there any beef with Skywest and Horizon for E175 flying for Alaska?

Cool!

If you were a civilian CFI, it is literally the same set of muscles as a LCP/LCA. Cool calmness watching the world melt down, a save occasionally and a putting that ball back on the tee for Sparky to take a swing at it.

And hamburgers! Something that went well (bun), PROFOUNDLY BAD NEWS (meat) and then something that went well (the other bun) followed by “I want you to feel comfortable, and I think we both know need a couple more legs to consolidate those skills” when need be.

The performance bell curve with trends, Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs and the cold art of “calling balls and strikes”, some intergenerational training on communications and you’re good! I literally learned to speak and understand “Boomer”, “X”, “Millennial” and “Y” because it makes for a better instructor across the generations you will be working with.
undefined - Imgur.gif

I’m glad my paperwork, while endorsed by my local chief, was DOA in San Jorge.

Approved as requested.

I’ll take 5 legs on my home turf all day and twice on Sunday. Familiarity reduces wear and tear. I know exactly what’s going to happen and when. All the freqs are stored up in the home dome, and when someone says they’re Crystal Lake for 5, I know where they are
CB6FBF1C-4E8F-4F4E-8DB5-902616426A0D.jpeg

Kinda blurry cuz I had to dig it up from instagram but this is a classic from the Navajo days. I’m pretty sure I had a 15 or 16 leg day in the Cherokee at some point but that doesn’t compare in workload to the mighty ‘Jo.

View attachment 78620

Kinda blurry cuz I had to dig it up from instagram but this is a classic from the Navajo days. I’m pretty sure I had a 15 or 16 leg day in the Cherokee at some point but that doesn’t compare in workload to the mighty ‘Jo.

More than 12 in ‘Jo was a full day. 20+ in the sled was plenty. 15ish in the turbine suburban was just silly. I can still feel the inside edge of the pod when I’d whack my elbow on it.

More than 12 in ‘Jo was a full day. 20+ in the sled was plenty. 15ish in the turbine suburban was just silly. I can still feel the inside edge of the pod when I’d whack my elbow on it.
For me, the caravan was aesthetically almost perfect.

Except the wing strut, which I banged my head on several times while loading/unloading.

Might not be what're you're looking for, but my post will probably still be the end result. At least I'd imagine. :)

Approved as requested.

I’ll take 5 legs on my home turf all day and twice on Sunday. Familiarity reduces wear and tear. I know exactly what’s going to happen and when. All the freqs are stored up in the home dome, and when someone says they’re Crystal Lake for 5, I know where they are.

Change my mind - the optimal leg length is approximately 45 minutes.

View attachment 78620

I think (think) my record for legs was JNU-HNH-GST-JNU basically all day one day in the summer of 2009 or 2010. That whole trip is like 1 hour or whatever, and I did it 7 or 8 times... With the one off HNH trip on the way back or whatever I think I finished the day with 26 legs?
For me, the caravan was aesthetically almost perfect.
Now that I'm out of it and can talk •, I hated the • caravan. It's ugly, boring, and hurts your back. For those without the experience of the machine, here's my take:

The 600SHP bird is basically all the bad parts of the 207 combined with none of the delightful parts of the sled and with just enough extra HP to make you think you're invincible but not enough to actually save your ass.

The 675SHP van is basically just an experimental icing platform to see how far a seat-cushion can be wedged into the pilot-in-command's rectum during the winter months. If a snow-flake hits the wing and you haven't just slathered the wings in icex, you lose 20kts. The boots are just for show in any real icing and the principle strategy for success is probably just to fly in places without big rocks.

The EX, with the TKS and the 867SHP motor and G1000 is what the airplane should have been from the start, very capable, but TKS is still scary when you run out of it over the Alaska range (even if it is summer) and I'm sure breathing that stuff in is probably contraindicated for continuing to survive. Also, like every other • caravan it's bad for your back.

The Aerotwin 950 caravan is better, but the prop turns the wrong way and if you try to climb out at Vx when empty the nose will be so high it's scary. It shakes a bit too; efficent but ugly and loud. Plan on being an experimental test pilot if you fly one. Also, what's one more fishbox between friends?

In all of the caravans you can basically plan on not having a lower-back if you're moving fishboxes or mail. In 2018 I had to get a lumber punch done and the gal doing the punch said, "Oh, were you a caravan pilot or did you work as an electrician?" Apparently, the airplane is bad enough for your back that the doctor can recognize it while she's doing the work of shoving a needle into your spine.

Then there's the boredom. The caravan is insidiously boring too, because it's really • boring until it suddenly isn't. It's a mind-numbing excercise in the same • over and over again until suddenly it becomes very no-•-exciting-right-goddamn-now. As you can imagine this airplane can make you dumb AF because it has fixed landing gear, dirt simple procedures, and flies like a 182. That's fantastic for training, and also fantastic because you can basically not think about anything at all and successfully manage to move semi-truck quantities of dog food and fishboxes around without dying. This is bad however because when you suddenly really need to think about something you may have trouble remembering how.

To contrast with the utter boring characteristics of flying the damn thing the manufacturers decided to make 14 memory items. As if to warn you, "this thing may seem boring as hell - and it is - but think of all the things that could go wrong!" Don't worry though, none of those 1960s style emergencies are likely to occur. If anything you'll spend most of your brain power trying to think about if it is safe to take off 400lbs out of balance between the wings because in the 8 minutes your were on the ground in Tugonminutsaq somehow 60 • gallons went from one wing to the other because you forgot to close the fuel valves. Or you might wonder if it's reasonable to just pack the last 1000lbs of • into the pod and takeoff so you don't have to make one more trip. Other brain teasers include trying to see how a tiny VG on the leading edge of the wing allows for you to increase max takeoff weight by a couple hundred pounds, why anyone thought that spoilers for additional roll-control were a good idea on an already ponderously slow thick-winged airplane they were planing on operating in icing, or how stupid the sumps are on the airplane and how stupid the entire concept of an "epa can" is?

The Caravan was fine... but I'd say it was one of the least interesting things I operated for money.

Now that I'm out of it and can talk •, I hated the • caravan. It's ugly, boring, and hurts your back. For those without the experience of the machine, here's my take:

The Caravan is my favorite (non aerobatic, non turbojet) airplane I've ever flown. Solid, reliable, glides like a damned Schweizer when you feather it, hauls a metric effton of fish. You can do 165 to over the river and still be off by charlie. My opinion is that the ergonomics are fantastic, but maybe it's just a body type thing.

I never flew it in icing (Well, as you know, that can be a little ambiguous in AK), but it never let me down.

Easy airplane to fly, and really rewarding to fly well.

Back