Colgan Reduction Conference Call Highlights

I think this is the biggest issue with lower time pilots. Some guys step from an airplane that they're completely comfortable in (say a Seminole or 172) into a Q400, CRJ, ERJ, whatever and have the same attitude. Most of the low time guys fly just fine, but it's the decision making that is seriously lacking. Something you might do with just you and your instructor (or even just you) in a Seminole is not something you'd do with 50+ people in the back. I had an FO a couple of weeks ago make a decision like that. I looked at him and said "Seriously? That's what you're thinking? Well, I disagree. We're doing this and here's why...." To his credit, he listened. There's some basic knowledge gaps out there in the low time guys. I try to fill in those gaps where I can, but when you've got a t-storm moving onto the field, you're running the fuel numbers in your head and trying to get a wx update for your alternate while the FO is flying the plane is NOT the time you need to turn back into an instructor. BTW, for those that say instructing sucks.....I think that job better prepared me for being a CA than being an FO for 2 years did.

Only been a CA for a month and a half, and I agree 100%. The bigger pay is nice, but there's a reason it's there.

:yeahthat: But at the same time my 500 hours in my dad's super cub and when I instructed I only did tailwheel instruction so that did absolutely nothing to prepare me for my 121 gig. Other than realize that bigger planes are easier to land on these big huge runways :crazy:

BTW, for those that say instructing sucks.....I think that job better prepared me for being a CA than being an FO for 2 years did.

Only been a CA for a month and a half, and I agree 100%. The bigger pay is nice, but there's a reason it's there.

Without a doubt when you're a regional captain, and especially a junior captain paired with junior FOs, you have your instructor cap on. Some FOs are very receptive to help, others feel that as long as they complied with a procedure or policy, that they are fine.

My own observation is that the older FOs who have been out in the world tend to be more receptive, and a little more professional. I'm not saying that the younger guys aren't, but the few "problem children" FOs I know of are like spoiled brats in the plane.

But yeah, there is probably a bigger correlation between one's ability as an instructor and being a captain than as an FO and being a CA. As an instructor you are much more of a manager in the same sense as a CFI is.

I think this is the biggest issue with lower time pilots. Some guys step from an airplane that they're completely comfortable in (say a Seminole or 172) into a Q400, CRJ, ERJ, whatever and have the same attitude. Most of the low time guys fly just fine, but it's the decision making that is seriously lacking. Something you might do with just you and your instructor (or even just you) in a Seminole is not something you'd do with 50+ people in the back. I had an FO a couple of weeks ago make a decision like that. I looked at him and said "Seriously? That's what you're thinking? Well, I disagree. We're doing this and here's why...." To his credit, he listened. There's some basic knowledge gaps out there in the low time guys. I try to fill in those gaps where I can, but when you've got a t-storm moving onto the field, you're running the fuel numbers in your head and trying to get a wx update for your alternate while the FO is flying the plane is NOT the time you need to turn back into an instructor. BTW, for those that say instructing sucks.....I think that job better prepared me for being a CA than being an FO for 2 years did.

Nice post Kell. :)

I think there is a gap between what a low time FO thinks his role is in the cockpit and what is his actual role. Its tough to transition from being the "Pilot in Command" as a CFI to "Second in Command". It was tough for me to take off the CFI hat and take the SIC approach. I might have had it easier with my military experience, but others may not.

As the SIC you just have to understand that its not your decision, not your bird. That doesn't mean you let the Captain fly the airplane into the ground, but you get the point.

tuckntruck said:
I have a feeling a lot of the guys close the cockpit door, and forget what's back there. The assumed Liability of the Q is nearly 450 Million dollars.

My primary concern is the lifespan of the yoke actuator. If the front is ok, the back is ok too. Go ahead and close the door.

:yeahthat: But at the same time my 500 hours in my dad's super cub and when I instructed I only did tailwheel instruction so that did absolutely nothing to prepare me for my 121 gig. Other than realize that bigger planes are easier to land on these big huge runways :crazy:

11 off by S.

Are the cuts announced by continental at Abilene, Texarkana etc... going to lead to more furloughs at Colgan than the 40-60 previously announced?

Are the cuts announced by continental at Abilene, Texarkana etc... going to lead to more furloughs at Colgan than the 40-60 previously announced?

Continental plans to utilize the Saabs else where. Apparently we may have a location in Mexico in the works. The class I am in now is the first class to get SIC Types in the Saab just in case we do go international.

If the Q400 autopilot is the same as the Q200 then yeah it kind of sucks. The vloc mode captures localizers fairly poorly. It will overshoot and then come back if the intercept angle isn't like within 15' it seems like and thats not real cool when they're landing parallel runways. Kind of have to use heading mode to steer it in manually and then approach mode.

Continental plans to utilize the Saabs else where. Apparently we may have a location in Mexico in the works. The class I am in now is the first class to get SIC Types in the Saab just in case we do go international.

I thought they were giving SIC types so 2 captains don't have to fly it when we ferry it overseas, lol. kidding

If the Q400 autopilot is the same as the Q200 then yeah it kind of sucks. The vloc mode captures localizers fairly poorly. It will overshoot and then come back if the intercept angle isn't like within 15' it seems like and thats not real cool when they're landing parallel runways. Kind of have to use heading mode to steer it in manually and then approach mode.

Yea, same issues with the q400. It also likes to kick off in turbulence. Everyone who flew the saab says it had a better autopilot then the q, but still it wasn't anything like the superior automation system on the beech.

Yea, same issues with the q400. It also likes to kick off in turbulence. Everyone who flew the saab says it had a better autopilot then the q, but still it wasn't anything like the superior automation system on the beech.

You telling stories about me again?

Oh that's right.......you guys have trim!:D

Back