Colgan Reduction Conference Call Highlights

SmitteyB

Okay- not a good day for anyone at Colgan.

Highlighs of the Call

-Pulling 4 or 5 SAABs out of the US Airways Express system.
-3 Aircraft pulled from SYR, 1 from ALB, 1 from PVD (PVD will close as a base)
-Colgan is reducing the flying, Airways is not taking it away. Will be replaced with PDT.
-Still waiting for EAS awards in LEB, BHB, AUG, PKB, MGW, CKB
-No pilot furloughs until November 1st
-Will furlough by order of seniority (Surprising)
-50 to 60 Pilots will be furloughed forseeable.
-40 Flight Attendants will be furloughed.
-Voluntary furloughs bids will begin next week (90 days)
-Still looking at Q400 possible homes. Cannot take delivery of ANY Q400 until 3rd/4th Quarter 2009 at the earliest
-Trying to place the 4 or 5 SAABs with other carriers, no one really interested right now.

Hopefully this all works out and we can keep our EAS stuff so people don't have to be furloughed.

Its pretty bad when during your ground school you have to break for an hour to listen to a conference call on being furloughed in November.

I thought it was pretty funny how a captain asked if downgraded, would he keep captain pay.

So anyone planning on bidding for voluntary furlough by July 15th?

-Rob

Its pretty bad when during your ground school you have to break for an hour to listen to a conference call on being furloughed in November.

I thought it was pretty funny how a captain asked if downgraded, would he keep captain pay.

So anyone planning on bidding for voluntary furlough by July 15th?

-Rob

Honestly- I think most of the Street Captains will take a voluntary leave. Hopefully we can place these SAABs with someone else and we will be okay. Just study hard, learn the SAAB. If worst comes to worst, IBC Airways is hiring SAAB Captains based out of Miami. It's 135 Cargo, but hey it's a paycheck.

Good luck to us all. God bless all of you who work hard out on the line, too.

Very sad day indeed! However hopefully in the end with Airways doing these reductions you all will get more flying back in the end. Wait did I mis read this, Colgan is reducing the flying with Airways? I'm lost.

how far back in hire dates should the furloughs go?

They havent had many classes this year. I think our June 18th class is the first one since the first quarter of this year.

BH and DB came and talked to our new hire class. He pretty much assured us that we would be on till November and would complete training, basically saying that with our flying right now, we are short staffed.

-Rob

Even so... Nov. is a long time away.

As everybody knows, in this game, all the rules can change very.. very fast

One question. How is PDT going to cover this flying when we're already using all 55 (give or take) aircraft? Sounds to me that someone down there in SBY needs to get there act together and start getting more props on the property. My opinion of course

Sounds to me that someone down there in SBY needs to get there act together and start getting more props on the property. My opinion of course

Well, I will believe when I see the schedule. At the same time, we are not use all 55 planes yet. ;)

I hope no one get furlough at CJC. Good luck everyone.

Well, I will believe when I see the schedule. At the same time, we are not use all 55 planes yet. ;)

I hope no one get furlough at CJC. Good luck everyone.

Same here. This truly is an ever changing industry.
Good luck guys

Does anyone know if there are going to be anymore Q captain transition classes?

Its all about seniority. Looks like they are going to take all the voluntary furloughs. Then take the list and say "we need to cut this many pilots." They then draw a line in the list with the amount of captains they need and if your above that line, you keep captain. If your below that line then you get downgraded.

They did say there might be some downgrades. Buddy had many questions about seniority and he said a few times "we are furloughing in seniority." If they go against their own word, it just makes it easier to prove you cannot trust management and that a union is needed on property.

You know, it amazed me how at first buddy talked about FA furloughs and said "it will be in accordance with what the union contract says." That was that, no more questions. The rules have been set. But with pilots its all about hoping the company does the right thing and sticks to their word.

-Rob

Okay- not a good day for anyone at Colgan.

Highlighs of the Call

-Pulling 4 or 5 SAABs out of the US Airways Express system.
-3 Aircraft pulled from SYR, 1 from ALB, 1 from PVD (PVD will close as a base)
-Colgan is reducing the flying, Airways is not taking it away. Will be replaced with PDT.
-Still waiting for EAS awards in LEB, BHB, AUG, PKB, MGW, CKB
-No pilot furloughs until November 1st
-Will furlough by order of seniority (Surprising)
-50 to 60 Pilots will be furloughed forseeable.
-40 Flight Attendants will be furloughed.
-Voluntary furloughs bids will begin next week (90 days)
-Still looking at Q400 possible homes. Cannot take delivery of ANY Q400 until 3rd/4th Quarter 2009 at the earliest
-Trying to place the 4 or 5 SAABs with other carriers, no one really interested right now.

Hopefully this all works out and we can keep our EAS stuff so people don't have to be furloughed.

There is potentially some good things ahead for Colgan. Nothing is definate of course but the powers that be here in AUG are likely going to vote in favor of Colgan for the EAS contract. I think the same is happening in BHB as well. While this flying already exists for Colgan, it would be new Saab flying and that is a good thing. As I said, it's nothing definate but they are trying like heck to make it happen.

I'm not sure how the voluntary leave works but if I can still jumpseat then I'd be interested in taking a leave. I'll have to see the details when it comes out but if that's the case I'll probably be bidding for it.

Back