Cockpit View of Idaho Plane Crash

SteveCostello

My member is well-known.
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

So... SUUUPER long take-off roll. It's easy to armchair pilot, but I'm watching this thing thinking he had a WHOLE lot of time to either abort the takeoff, or put it down in the grass long before hitting the trees. It was really clear he wasn't climbing out of that.

Shame.

I pissed myself just watching that. Definitely a long time to make the decision to stop and wait it out.

Without knowing the full details of the accident I am not going to cast judgement.

But...Dude, come on!

In looking at the video again, he should have put it down after coming back down to the ground the first time. It is obvious from that point right there that this airplane is not going to climb. At all.

I was just about to post this. It's a great example of the accident chain of events and how often its a couple of mistakes that compound to bring down a plane. High density altitude, altimeter indicates 6,300 feet, they said it was warm out. This probably demonstrates why the plane refused to climb, it was doing all it could do. No performance planning. Not aborting the taking, even after the plane wouldn't rotate for thirty seconds, still not putting it down in a clearing when there was a shot.

Again, all armchair piloting, but as said above, "come on!" ... This should not have happened.

On the plus side, it looks like he flew it into the trees, instead of dropping it in. Intentional or not, it worked out.

This is a solemn reminder of how much non-flying passengers put their lives in our hands. They trust that we know what we are doing, and know what the plane is capable, or incapable, of.

This is a solemn reminder of how much non-flying passengers put their lives in our hands. They trust that we know what we are doing, and know what the plane is capable, or incapable, of.

All of this, over and over again.

What a great teaching tool the video will be. You can pick up early on the visual que's that this isn't going to work. Plus how lucky that there was no fire?

This is a good example of why I seldom fly in the back seat of any GA aircraft. Not willing to trust another GA pilot with my life.

Downdraft my foot. The wing just straight up ran out of lift. Might have been just warm enough over those trees to increase the DA enough to take away what little lift that wing had.

Downdraft my foot. The wing just straight up ran out of lift. Might have been just warm enough over those trees to increase the DA enough to take away what little lift that wing had.

Isn't it typically cooler over trees? Prob had to do with them simply being close and him increasing back pressure just enough to start a nice slow mush downward.

I would think so, but... shrug ... who knows. Either way, I saw those trees coming up, and knew that it was not going to end well. Completely preventable.

Back