Cockpit View of Idaho Plane Crash

Definitely a contender for the Asshat of the Year Award.

asshat-award.jpg

That's actually a great idea. We should start a nominations thread for Asshat of the Year. The nominees would need to be related to aviation in one way or another. I'd say JC members would be eligible for nomination, but methinks that a lot of people would get butthurt over it.

You guys are really taking this asshat thing pretty far. Like, "I retracted the flaps in the flare, then didn't cancel until I got to the gate, all while wearing my favorite asshat!" far.

There are a lot of "take away lessons" from this video, but let me add one I didn't see mentioned.

If there is ever a time when the pilot isn't absolutely, positively certain the aircraft is going to perform with lots of room to spare, ....... don't make the takeoff with the passengers in the airplane. Come up with a Plan B. Make a takeoff solo and if there is lots and lots of spare performance, come back and get one and fly him out and come back for the rest later. Wait until the temperature drops. Ask someone to put the folks in their truck and drive them over to that bigger airport ten miles away and meet you there while you fly solo to that airport. Something, anything but loading the whole gang into the aircraft and departing with the thought that "this will probably work okay".

I definitely agree and think this is a good point. That being said, I doubt this was even in the guy's mind unfortunately. If you think about it, whenever you take off from a short runway, or have a high DA situation and you've crunched the numbers, you're usually pretty cognizant of it. Maybe you set a threshold such as X speed by 50% of the runway or something like that.

I would have to think that if this guy had any thought in the back of his mind that DA might be an issue and that the plane might not lift from the ground, he would have recognized it somewhere in the 2.5 minutes the plane wouldn't fly and put it down - particularly with trees and mountains in the foreground.

I dont think you quite understand how physics work.

I'm certain your knowledge of physics is far superior to mine;) And to reply to something I said that you feel is inaccurate with such articulation clearly demonstrates that you do! Thanks for the post that set me straight!:sarcasm:

inigo88, I didn't find offense in your comments about older engines. My response was coming from the point of view that it is not true to say older engines are not to be trusted. The graph for engine mortality is a bathtub curve where the two ends slope upward. The left side is an infant engine and the slope lasts a significant amount of time past break-in period for a new engine.

I have had considerable problems with new engines (straight from factory), fresh overhauls, and ancient beasts. The latter only due to it not being flown often. 'Conventional wisdom' needs to be dispelled where is is found for it serves only to perpetuate an inaccurate belief.

I'm certain your knowledge of physics is far superior to mine;) And to reply to something I said that you feel is inaccurate with such articulation clearly demonstrates that you do! Thanks for the post that set me straight!:sarcasm:
I think it was because you said, "...I am a pilot."

Insane video. I'm not sure what this ac's performance numbers said, but if they were within limits this is a fantastic example of why POH's are full of lies. I almost killed myself in a duchess once by trusting the POH's fuel burn. After that I padded every calculation with a 10% personal minimum.

Question, I've only flown twin engine turbo-props out of high da airports, so is it common to fly a normally aspirated 160hp engine out of a strip with a da of 9000 ft? I don't think I'd take anything with less than 300hp or at least turbo charged, and I'd probably still be nervous. I was talking to a former F-16 driver who owns a cirrus and he told me he takes a northern route over the Rockies. I don't know how this aircraft performs, but I can't imagine it would be very good more than a thousand feet above sea level.

Insane video. I'm not sure what this ac's performance numbers said, but if they were within limits this is a fantastic example of why POH's are full of lies. I almost killed myself in a duchess once by trusting the POH's fuel burn. After that I padded every calculation with a 10% personal minimum.

Question, I've only flown twin engine turbo-props out of high da airports, so is it common to fly a normally aspirated 160hp engine out of a strip with a da of 9000 ft? I don't think I'd take anything with less than 300hp or at least turbo charged, and I'd probably still be nervous. I was talking to a former F-16 driver who owns a cirrus and he told me he takes a northern route over the Rockies. I don't know how this aircraft performs, but I can't imagine it would be very good more than a thousand feet above sea level.

Sure. And it can be done safely. 4 people and stuff isn't "safely". Not in the circumstances in this video anyhow. The flight school at my hometown airport (5200') has a C150. They certainly don't use it at back country strips but they darn sure fly it all summer with DAs average around 7-8,000.

Also, theres Mountain Flying and flying over the mountains. That Cirrus you spoke of would be perfectly safe flying over the mountains. Personally, I would rather be in a 150 than a Cirrus while mountain flying. Mountain Flying 101 summed up into four words- Always Have An Out.

Question, I've only flown twin engine turbo-props out of high da airports, so is it common to fly a normally aspirated 160hp engine out of a strip with a da of 9000 ft? I don't think I'd take anything with less than 300hp or at least turbo charged, and I'd probably still be nervous.
I took my 300hp normally aspirated Viking to Leadville CO (9800'). When I got there a Cessna 172 was doing touch and goes.

I was talking to a former F-16 driver who owns a cirrus and he told me he takes a northern route over the Rockies. I don't know how this aircraft performs, but I can't imagine it would be very good more than a thousand feet above sea level.
What ??????

I took my 300hp normally aspirated Viking to Leadville CO (9800'). When I got there a Cessna 172 was doing touch and goes.

What ??????
The ac in the accident, not the cirrus.

My dad's a former F-14/A-4/F-4 pilot and when I did spin training he said "WITHOUT AN EJECTION SEAT!?!?!!!"

Sure. And it can be done safely. 4 people and stuff isn't "safely". Not in the circumstances in this video anyhow. The flight school at my hometown airport (5200') has a C150. They certainly don't use it at back country strips but they darn sure fly it all summer with DAs average around 7-8,000.

Also, theres Mountain Flying and flying over the mountains. That Cirrus you spoke of would be perfectly safe flying over the mountains. Personally, I would rather be in a 150 than a Cirrus while mountain flying. Mountain Flying 101 summed up into four words- Always Have An Out.

Interesting, it's been a long time since I flew GA, and that was always close to sea level. Still, I remember only being able to get I think less than 200 ft/min in the climb above 8,000.

You know - there has been a lot of good input in this thread and stuff. Everyone took their asshat off.

That said, it has occurred to me - one way around this is to simply fly airplanes that are ridiculously overpowered. Like horsepower to weight ratios under 10, and preferably in the 5 to 8 range. I think we can all agree that flying a ridiculously overpowered taildragger (to give clearance to a massively big prop) would make the world a better place.

Back