Coal-powered airplane

My larger point is that electric vehicles do not give you something for nothing. A lot of people seem to think otherwise.

What stands out is the reduction of “voltage loss” during the distribution of electricity is being reduced. It takes a considerable amount of petroleum to transport petroleum, however electricity flows pretty easily between points - after initial investment in infrastructure.

Last edited:
The term ”EV” is a misnomer, somewhat. There’s no pure electric vehicle because they’re running off of locally-stored (and sometimes somewhat produced) energy.

Now how you store that energy is up to the consumer. You can take it off the grid which is a combination of fossil, wind, hydroelectric, nuclear, solar, etc, or if you’ve got a sufficient amount of kWH being produced on your home solar farm, it provides an opportunity to choose to enjoy the benefits of a gasless car (acceleration, reliability, avoiding the stench of gas, technology) or live a little greener if you’re able to take advantage of alternative energy sources.

Why the “coal rollin‘“ crowd can’t understand this isn’t my concern as rationality has left them behind.

Buying a Tesla and saying “I’m green!” is like joining a gym and saying “I’m thin!” — it’s HOW you use it.

I have bad news for you, your tax dollars are already there!

@USMCmech explained it far more thoroughly than I did. The simple version is that electricity does not exist on its own. There's no natural source of electricity that can be mined or harvested. Electricity must be created. Energy cannot be created, therefore electricity is not energy.

My larger point is that electric vehicles do not give you something for nothing. A lot of people seem to think otherwise.
Electricity may not technically be energy per se, but there is electrical energy.

Watching you nerds go at it over electric vehicles the last week or two has been entertaining.

It’s great the thread ended with a CC train wreck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure it is. There are plug-in models that can go 25 whole miles before you have to start its fossil fuel powered engine.

Yikes, you’re right! I didn’t know that because I’ve never met anyone who’s bought one. The plug ins account for about 2% of Prius’ sold…so the likelihood that you’ve heard a Prius owner who’s car gets substantial power from the grid is pretty small.

But what I don’t think you’re comprehending—and this isn’t surprising—is that when an electric vehicle is charged via electricity from a regional power plant, it’s way more efficient from an cost and emissions standpoint than an internal combustion car with its own engine.

Ahh the environmentalism movement…. Where the mob ignores logic for a special brand of “scientific” populism. And every government dollar spent on a windmill farm is one not being spent to incentivize 4th Gen nuclear development and actually solve the problem of burning dead dinosaurs to charge your IPad.

Talking junk about environmentalists ignoring logic for fake science populism and then talking about burning “dead dinosaurs” seems pretty on message here

Last edited:
I have a Chevy Volt we bought used for our son. It's a plug in hybrid, so we plug it in overnight. The first 60 miles or so we drive it, it's pure electric. After that a gas APU starts up and powers the electric motor.

Thing is, between driving to and from school, karate, piano, and his friends houses... we never go over 60 miles in a day. So it never burns any gas.

Every so often it throws a "fuel maintenance required" error message. That indicates Chevy is concerned the fuel might go stale. You can put the car in "hold" mode to retain the battery, and use the gas engine temporarily. I'll drive it 30 or 40 miles on the gas engine, then add a gallon of fresh gas and the error goes away for another 6 months or so.

If we've put $20 worth of gas in that car since the day we bought it I'd be amazed.

It's proven to me that I just don't need gas range for our every day driving. My next airport car will be a used electric. Maybe a Leaf or Bolt (after the recall).

Don't tell my coworkers. I'm definitely not "rolling coal".

I have a Chevy Volt we bought used for our son. It's a plug in hybrid, so we plug it in overnight. The first 60 miles or so we drive it, it's pure electric. After that a gas APU starts up and powers the electric motor.

Thing is, between driving to and from school, karate, piano, and his friends houses... we never go over 60 miles in a day. So it never burns any gas.

Every so often it throws a "fuel maintenance required" error message. That indicates Chevy is concerned the fuel might go stale. You can put the car in "hold" mode to retain the battery, and use the gas engine temporarily. I'll drive it 30 or 40 miles on the gas engine, then add a gallon of fresh gas and the error goes away for another 6 months or so.

If we've put $20 worth of gas in that car since the day we bought it I'd be amazed.

It's proven to me that I just don't need gas range for our every day driving. My next airport car will be a used electric. Maybe a Leaf or Bolt (after the recall).

Don't tell my coworkers. I'm definitely not "rolling coal".
I jumpseated on you guys one time, and the FO was a huge electric vehicle person. So you wouldn't be the only one. And he was based in the same base.

My ex wife bought a hybrid plug in Prius in April, she said she has been to a gas station three times since her purchase. We’re still friends and I don’t have any reason to believe she’d lie about it. I’ve ridden in it and it’s a nice car, she says she considers it the best car she’s ever had. I don’t want one, but I wouldn’t discourage anyone from buying one.

Talking junk about environmentalists ignoring logic for fake science populism and then talking about burning “dead dinosaurs” seems pretty on message here

Some of us lived in Germany and got to watch hysterical populist fear and a weird form of environmentalism crush the most effective and quickest way to carbon neutrality in power generation.

End result of the cost benefit analysis of all Nuclear power and it’s possible future development vs “OMG did you watch Chernobyl/Fukushima!” Is Germany has begun burning more Coal because it could neither upscale Renewable (fashionable) energy sources nor does it have the physical infrastructure to use all that it generates. Never mind the even uglier geopolitical issue that comes from being beholden to a rival foreign power on energy imports and what that gives up in political capital.

Watching Environmentalist lobby groups rail against any pursuit of Nuclear energy is like watching a Marathon runner tie their shoe laces together before the race starts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a whole click of EV drivers that are based in DEN that fly for the redneck airline, I’d be one to if I still lived down there. There just isn’t the infrastructure available and the distances too far for me to make it work here in Montana.

Back