Cheap homemade aviation headset thread.

CoffeeIcePapers

Well-Hung Member
Everyone that knows me knows that I am a cheapskate. I wanted an in ear headset, but didn't want to pay $500+ for one and figured I could do it on the cheap. I did a google search and found other cheapskate people out there that did something similar:

http://www.cozy1200.com/geeklog/article.php?story=20070427102533266

The only problem is that the mic and headset are two separate pieces, and I didn't want something rigid going around the back of my neck.

I borrowed a lot of ideas and came up with this:

audio480_A_rgb3.jpg
The only problem is that it plugs into a computer and not the headset.

OK, I screwed up and left my phone with the camera in it, so I will just post links to the parts and give instructions.

Parts list:

Project Box
2 Stereo 1/8" jacks
Audio Transformer
Headset Wire with the jacks that plug into the mic and headphone plugs of the airplane. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]<nobr>PN 800036 </nobr>I salvaged this from an old headset.<nobr></nobr>[/FONT]
Plantronics 480 Headset I got it for $20 shipped from ebay
15-30w Soldering Iron Every Cheapskate should have one of these
.032" Rosin Core Solder Smallest diameter solder they have.
Small gauge wire. I stripped an ethernet cable.
Comply Foam tips. www.complyfoam.com They have a product selector on their website that will let you pick the right ones. The ones that come with the headset are OK, but don't do the job well enough.

Step One

Prepare the project box. Use a drill to put a hole in one end to have the plugs going out to the airplane, and drill two holes on the opposite ends to put the jacks in. Alternatively, if you don't have the right drill bit, you can use the soldering iron to burn the hole into the plastic, but it will ruin the tip. Make sure you lay everything out first before doing anything, to make sure they will fit. Go ahead and put the two audio jacks in the holes, and tighten the supplied washer to hold them in place.

Step Two:

Prepare the aviation headset plug. It goes from two separate plugs, down to one singular bunch of wires. Cut the singular part down to about a foot long. Feed the wire through the hole you drilled earlier.My old headset had a rubber stopper that fit in the hole to help keep the wire in place. Strip the insulation at the end tin the individual wires with solder so they are ready to go.

Step Three:

Label one plug as the mic and one plug as the headset jack. You have to wire them according to the diagram on the back of the box it came in. You also have to solder a jumper on the audio plug from the left to right if you are flying in planes with a mono intercom. You could also wire a toggle switch in between the jumper if you fly in different types of planes.

I will post pics and more details on the wiring later.

Why the project box? Would you be able to cut off the existing computer plugs and then solder on the correct aviation plugs and heat shrink for a clean look?

Why the project box? Would you be able to cut off the existing computer plugs and then solder on the correct aviation plugs and heat shrink for a clean look?

You need to have an audio transformer inline to match the impedance of the headset to the impedance of the audio panel/ intercom.

Also, I want to hack up a bluetooth adapter at some point and throw it in there. It really isn't any bigger than any ANR enclosure that requires batteries.

Back