CFI-Instrument writeup

surreal1221

Yesterday I successfully passed the CFI-I practical exam with a DPA based out of Macon, GA. Examiner shall remain nameless, but I will provide his name through private message if someone asks.

I came prepared, lesson plans, books galore, etc, but never once needed to pull something out.

Oral

Oral lasted two hours.

Started off obviously with paperwork, and as soon as that was complete we initiated the practical.

Oral consisted of the part 61 requirements for an instrument rating, instrument required equipment. How would I teach constant airspeed / rate climbs and descents, what about standard rate turns? Examiner is looking for you to specify the primary or supporting (or control and performance) method of instrument instruction. Emphasis basic attitude instrument flying skills, as everything builds off of those. After the BAI discussion, we moved onto NAVAID/Communications. Know what band NAV and COMM radios work off of (VHF), and also know what frequency grouping(s) COMM and NAV radios run off, break down the NAV radio frequency pairings into ILS/LOC and VOR, etc.

From there we continued with VOR orientation, reverse sensing, and orientation of an aircraft throughout a ILS/LOC approach.

After that discussed NACO charts, minimums, decision height, he had me demonstrate an approach briefing.

After explaining ILS/LOC, VOR, RNAV/GPS approaches he informed me to go ahead and file an IFR flight plan for the following.

MAC D> MCN D> KMCN D> MAC.

The plan for the flight was to depart Macon Downtown, pick up our IFR, and fly to the MCN VOR for a hold. He told me to expect ATC to give a hold instruction, but if they do not he will provide one. After the hold, we would depart the hold and request the RNAV/GPS 13 into Macon Middle GA Regional, go missed, vectors for the ILS 5 Macon Middle GA, missed, vectors for the LOC 10 Macon Downtown. The plan was for me to fly the hold, RNAV 13, and have him fly the ILS 5, and then I'd take the plane back to finish the ride off with a partial panel LOC 10 approach.

That was the conclusion of the oral.

Flight

The overview of the flight is above in the last paragraph.

We taxied out, demonstrated an instrument check, and took off (RWY28). Picked up our IFR clearance and then he had me to put the hood on.

Once we received our clearance, I headed towards the VOR.

Atlanta approach gave me a hold over the MCN VOR, north, on the 360 radial, right turns, leg length was my discretion (1 minute). Entry was real easy as we were just west of the 360 radial - so a nice direct entry.

Flew the outbound 1 minute, turned in, reached the VOR at 1min5sec. I informed him of the corrective action to get our 1 minute time inbound (subtract 5 seconds from our outbound time). I did just that, came back over the first at 1 minute. Also, we had some winds from the southwest, so instructed him on testing out wind corrections (start small - then increase). First turn inbound I flew through the course by about 5 degrees, second time on the outbound I applied another 5-10 degrees of wind correction and rolled out on the inbound course just perfectly - with some wind correction towards the southwest. He also wants to see if you remember to report entering and leaving the hold.

After that, flew the RNAV 13 approach, using OTPUQ as the IAF. Approach gave us cleared to OTPUQ, maintain 3000 til established, cleared RNAV 13 approach. Once established we descended down to 2200ft, and followed the minimum altitudes throughout the approach. . .he never let me look up so I initiated a missed approach and performed the instructions that ATC had given us (RWY heading to 3000).

Climbing out he took the airplane, and I stayed under the hood. I asked him to perform a constant airspeed climb, then transitioning to a constant rate climb, and eventually combining the two (90kts at 500fpm).

Eventually approach vectored us onto the final approach course for the ILS 5 after some departures from 23 out of Macon Middle GA launched. He flew a fine ILS approach, and we discussed how our rate of descent would be a little more than normal considering a tailwind.

Went missed, and received vectors for the LOC 10. I lost my gyro's shortly after getting established on our initial vector for the approach. So it was fun to actually do some magnetic turns again. :)

I flew a marginal approach (<1/4 deflection) but felt as if I was zig zagging pretty good. Tough to really get the mag compass to chill the heck out long enough for me to figure out what heading I'm on. I think I finally established on the 110/115 range.

Winds were out of the SW-W, so I ended up circling to land on RWY28 once we "broke out."

Did a soft field landing just for the heck of it, and throughout the circling maneuver we discussed the Cat A and B circling minimums.

Taxied back, shut down, and he jumped out. Flight lasted 1.7

I did a post flight inspection and headed in. He was already typing away on his typewriter (yup - that's right. . .he types them out) as I walked in.

We discussed the importance of making sure students use the 5 T's. But otherwise, that was the end of it.

Last major checkride complete, next one will hopefully be a sim ride before getting sent off to IOE with a company.

PM any questions, or ask away here.

Back