Cessna 208

Before my current job I was CP of a 135 outfit who did everything in house in Caravans.

I think as a rule the FedEx feeders contract it out and the UPS feeders do it in house. But I'm sure there are exceptions.

In house, in airplane produces much better pilots in my opinion if you're given the freedom to safely explore the capabilities of airplane. I say that as someone who teaches in a simulator now. The flip side is there's some things you cannot do safely in the airplane.

Ideally you'd do a mix of both, but I know of no one who does.

You're going to have a hell of a time in this career if you can't fly a sim. And a van sim, well.....

You're going to have a hell of a time in this career if you can't fly a sim. And a van sim, well.....

There are some really crappy sims out there that are overly sensitive. Sometimes you need to learn to fly the sim itself rather than it giving a true representation of the aircraft. Willing to bet its a Red Bird which can be really squirrelly.

Like someone else said you'll have to learn how to fly the sim to get through it. I know our sims at 9E have a bit of a lag. Our sim instructors always say just make a correction and wait because it won't be instantaneous like in the airplane. Some sims like the red bird have to be flown gently to avoid over controlling.

Is this number 4 or 5 since Mike left?

I can't possibly see him lasting much longer. Although I guess you can't underestimate the sh--iness of the company. A complete joke, and worse. If Dane remains in charge of training they will absolutely get someone killed.

Long time CP left early last year. ACP took over. Company went back on deal with ACP (wouldn't give him an ACP or money to compensate), so he left. Line pilot took over. Same deal, got a better gig a few months later and left. Disaster of a line pilot took over and got an "assistant" (non-pilot). Now we're here.
Training has taken a major hit with newest CP and they're taking anyone with a pulse. Very dangerous combination.

Why so much turnover at the chief level?

Mike B was the CP at Martinaire for about 12 years and he was one of the best bosses I've ever worked for. The rest of the management team was a different matter entirely. As a general rule the line pilots were very loyal to MB even if we hated the company. Martinaire has always been one of the lowest paying C-208 operators, and senior management operated under the "pilots are a dime a dozen" philosophy.

Mike took a LOT of the heat for his pilots when we made minor screw ups. Pilot makes an honest mistake, UPS screams at MA, MA screams at AR, AR screams at MB, MB tells the pilot not to do it again. Basically MB was the check valve that kept most of the fecal matter from hitting the line pilots. When he left, the succession of replacement CPs got to take on that role. The CP is also in charge of recruiting and training, which I don't have to tell you is a challenge in today's environment. About this same time, Air Methods started poaching several of our senior pilots (including one of the newly minted CPs) to fly their PC-12s, so turnover shot through the roof.

Edit: What pwa said.

I fought like holy hell to get the pay increase before I left because dammit we deserved it and I knew it'd never happen otherwise. Unfortunately rebuilding a functioning department wasn't a priority of the top. It was quite ugly when good people took up the slack 100% of the time and poor pilots had carte blanche because well they were still a body that breathed air when even those were in short supply. Very tough to operate in that environment.

Corporate Air still does in house training, but only after you pass the sim at FSI...

Kenmore Air does a few days in University of Anchorage sim for "stuff you can't do in the real airplane" and then 3 or 4 training flights and a checkride in the real airplane.

Back