Cessna 172S Preflight

Pilot121

I recently started my PPL training, and was taught to turn the lights on right away before the walk around so I could ensure that all of them work during the walk around. I have never heard of/seen this on the checklists, but is it standard practice? Doesn't the battery get wasted by doing this?

Thanks,
Pilot121

I recently started my PPL training, and was taught to turn the lights on right away before the walk around so I could ensure that all of them work during the walk around. I have never heard of/seen this on the checklists, but is it standard practice? Doesn't the battery get wasted by doing this?

Thanks,
Pilot121
Yep, it's pretty much standard practice at most places. As @gotWXdagain said, turning on all the external electrical equipment for a brief walk-around check and then turning them off doesn't do much to waste the battery. That is, I guess, unless it's below 20F outside.

It's not on the manufacturer's checklist but neither is the airworthiness certificate or registration. So many people and organizations put it on their custom checklists.

Why? Well, while not always safety items, there are necessary for airworthiness. Think of them as "compliance" items. An airplane without its airworthiness certificate on board is not legal for flight. neither is an airplane with its rotating beacon and strobes inop. If you don;t check on them, how do you know if they work?

There are also set conditions when each light should be switched on. These include

Beacon - all the time the aircraft is operational, but gives you a clue an aircraft may be about to start engines
Strobes - when taking the runway (also when crossing runways)
Taxi light - when taxiing at night
Landing light - when taking off, landing and maneuvering
Nav lights - at night (also called position lights, so you can tell an aircrafts position, relative to you)

There are also set conditions when each light should be switched on. These include

Beacon - all the time the aircraft is operational, but gives you a clue an aircraft may be about to start engines
Strobes - when taking the runway (also when crossing runways)
Taxi light - when taxiing at night
Landing light - when taking off, landing and maneuvering
Nav lights - at night (also called position lights, so you can tell an aircrafts position, relative to you)
Do the strobes stay on after takeoff, or are they turned off after the aircraft takes off?

Do the strobes stay on after takeoff, or are they turned off after the aircraft takes off?

On from crossing the hold short line to take off, off crossing the hold short after landing. Caveats include crossing active runways (on) and if you're in the clouds at night and it's bugging your scan/night vision/inner ear (off). Etc.

I always kept the strobes on from departure runway until exiting the arrival runway unless i was night flying in IMC. Then they got turned off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you're doing a night flight it makes more sense to check them on post flight.
This is more geared towards commercial aviation, but I apply it to my personal flights as well(if I had any lights at all). I would not ground my airplane due to inop lights but the beacon(day VFR), and really it's best to know that after the flight so that you don't have to ground it and cause any sort of delay. Even if it's my own time.

This is more geared towards commercial aviation, but I apply it to my personal flights as well(if I had any lights at all). I would not ground my airplane due to inop lights but the beacon(day VFR), and really it's best to know that after the flight so that you don't have to ground it and cause any sort of delay. Even if it's my own time.
Nothing like making the first flight of the day late to change a landing light on a vfr day only airplane because the guy last night didn't look at it at the end of his shift.

I flew with a CFI that would turn the landing light off on final at night. Lights are only good for ops check plus one...

Back