Cessna 172S Preflight

I was told the beacon should be on also to alert of the master was left ON
That's what people with no real world experience do.

Navs on all the time (with limited exceptions - they dim interior lights, like gear indications, in some airplanes).
Beacon on immediately before start and off once the prop has stopped after shutdown.

People who want to be professional pilots should act like it regardless of the equipment.

Navs on all the time (with limited exceptions - they dim interior lights, like gear indications, in some airplanes).
Beacon on immediately before start and off once the prop has stopped after shutdown.

People who want to be professional pilots should act like it regardless of the equipment.

I can't tell you the last time I turned Nav lights off, if ever.

In my experience, I have have found just the opposite. If an owner, fbo, or flight school wants me to follow that practice, I don't have any qualms about complying with that procedure. And think about what you said about beacon usage, If you are turning the beacon on and off with the battery master, you are doing exactly what you are recommending; turning the beacon on immediately before start up and shortly after shutdown.

Actually, when I see someone on a sunny day, in a 172 with his nav lights on. I think "newb" not professional.
I think one of 3 things. 1. they don't understand what "as required" means on the checklist after "nav lights" or 2. they are one those pilots that flip on every friggin light after start-up and don't turn one off until shut down, or they think that since airline pilots do it that way, I'll do it that way in a 172.

In my experience, I have have found just the opposite. If an owner, fbo, or flight school wants me to follow that practice, I don't have any qualms about complying with that procedure.

Actually, when I see someone on a sunny day, in a 172 with his nav lights on. I think "newb" not professional.

Maybe he's being professional by following the procedure that the school or owner wants followed?

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

I think one of 3 things. 1. they don't understand what "as required" means on the checklist after "nav lights" or 2. they are one those pilots that flip on every friggin light after start-up and don't turn one off until shut down, or they think that since airline pilots do it that way, I'll do it that way in a 172.

The AIM and multiple ACs suggest otherwise:

Prior to commencing taxi, it is recommended to turn on navigation, position, anticollision, and logo lights (if equipped). To signal intent to other pilots, consider turning on the taxi light when the aircraft is moving or intending to move on the ground, and turning it off when stopped or yielding to other ground traffic. Strobe lights should not be illuminated during taxi if they will adversely affect the vision of other pilots or ground personnel.

LED landing lights are the best thing ever invented, I used to change 3 or 4 landing lights a week, I haven't changed a single one since we switched them all.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
OBTW the teledyne alphabeam is the bees knees...direct PMA replacement part (unlike whelens that are STC and require a 337) 10-40VDC, and non-polarity-sensitive.

OBTW the teledyne alphabeam is the bees knees...direct PMA replacement part (unlike whelens that are STC and require a 337) 10-40VDC, and non-polarity-sensitive.
I don't think those were out when we did them, we did the whelens. Our first one was a field approval as no STC's existed yet. The fun of being an early adopter!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Ha, you must be aware it gets like high school in here most of the time and the seniors have field days with the freshmen.

To make things simple for you. For day you only need beacon so check the beacon when you turn the battery on to put the flaps down. Don't turn the beacon switch off ever again. Check all others if you are about to go flying at night (they are easier to check and take less time to check at night anyway). Remember to keep it simple and all pilots have their own methods of skinning cats.

So, try to get in the habit of checking beacon right after putting the flaps down by turning your head looking out the back window and see that it is on. If it is not on then check the switch! If your instructor is making you check all of them then he/she is only having you do this to insure they are working for a flight that night coming up later (get a new instructor :) and tell him/her you don't give a chit if the others are working or not).

Jetcareers, the worse pilot forum on the web :stir:

Last edited:
Ha, you must be aware it gets like high school in here most of the time and the seniors have field days with the freshmen.

To make things simple for you. For day you only need beacon so check the beacon when you turn the battery on to put the flaps down. Don't turn the beacon switch off ever again. Check all others if you are about to go flying at night (they are easier to check and take less time to check at night anyway). Remember to keep it simple and all pilots have their own methods of skinning cats.

So, try to get in the habit of checking beacon right after putting the flaps down by turning your head looking out the back window and see that it is on. If it is not on then check the switch! If your instructor is making you check all of them then he/she is only having you do this to insure they are working for a flight that night coming up later (get a new instructor :) and tell him/her you don't give a chit if the others are working or not).

Jetcareers, the worse pilot forum on the web :stir:
More like: Jetcareers, the best pilot forum on the web ;)

Thanks for the helpful tips!

Back