Canadian-isms

mrivc211

So what gives? Why is there different terms between the US and CA?

Line up and wait vs position and hold

thats correct vs nothing

cleared to 9000 vs descend and maintain 9000

and why the heck does it always sound like ya'll are talking from a bi-plane? :)

ps. whats the hoopla over Tim Hortons? lol

And god forbid you call it a ramp in Toronto. The controller wouldn't answer me until I said "Apron Control".

Ah, I miss flying to the woolly white north.

And god forbid you call it a ramp in Toronto. The controller wouldn't answer me until I said "Apron Control".

On IOE I must have call them ramp 10 time with the CA looks at me and goes try calling them Apron. Then the • comes back with "There you are Eagle I was wondering when you where going to contact me?"

So what gives? Why is there different terms between the US and CA?

Line up and wait vs position and hold

thats correct vs nothing

cleared to 9000 vs descend and maintain 9000

and why the heck does it always sound like ya'll are talking from a bi-plane? :)

ps. whats the hoopla over Tim Hortons? lol

Line up and wait is ICAO, and have heard some rumors that eventually we will have to say it too.

Tim Horton's is better than anything down here except Dunkin Donuts. I've never seen a DD in an airport, though, and there's like 5 Horton's in every Canadia aerodrome.

You should here some of the terminology/accents in the Caribbean.

Tim Horton's is better than anything down here except Dunkin Donuts. I've never seen a DD in an airport, though, and there's like 5 Horton's in every Canadia aerodrome.

PHL RSW MIA FLL

I'm sure there are a few others with DD inside the terminal.

I will never say that crap... Position and hold works just fine as does measuring everything in feet and miles.

+2

the only other thing I would say is pause and hold, although maybe I'm biased cause for the Blue Angels its...

"Boss cleared to taxi pause and hold runway 17/35"

"Thanks MO, pause and hold"

:bandit:

I noticed that too. LOL. We were once parked at gate 33 in YYC and couldn't get a hold of ops,(needed a fuel truck, which was fueling our company over at gate 28) so we used Apron frequency to call our company to try and tell him to switch to ops frequency. The Apron guy went nuts about other people using his frequency. We couldnt walk over to their airplane because of customs issues.

Didn't want this turning into a US vs CAN thread, but I was just curious why there were such differences.

Actually, that is true. No that I think of it. It beats starbucks hands down. Their pastries are harder than.....a rock? :)

Line up and wait is ICAO, and have heard some rumors that eventually we will have to say it too.

Oh and the other that gets me every time is when they tell us to contact departure airborne. I forget to do it every time. I'm just so used to being told to do it.

When in Rome er...Canada...do as the Canadians do it. It's their country and they can do it however they want. It's up to you to conform to the country you're flying in not the other way around. If you don't like it, work for a company that doesn't leave the CONUS.

Oh and the other that gets me every time is when they tell us to contact departure airborne. I forget to do it every time. I'm just so used to being told to do it.

That doesn't sound as safe to me. If you contact departure airborne, how am I supposed to potential separate you from other traffic if you are no longer on my frequency?

I flown up there so much that I've gotten it down! I'll be flying up there in a few hours actually.

Line up and wait
Decend to 8000ft when ready.
Checking in with the current weather with center instead of Approach er...I mean terminal.

Some of their approach charts look funky also. NBD approaches are going strong up there!

ding ding ding! We have a winner.

Tim Hortons has crossed over to WNY as well.
The Canadian military has a Tim Hortons
trailer in Afghanistan!

Back