Canadian-isms

I don't understand what's hard about "position and hold" either, but who knows... they put "Kick in those spurs, and slap that ass on up to Flight Level 350" into our manuals I'll say it. We don't have much choice in the matter once it gets into our "MANOPS"

Hey, what did you think about Delta 99 asking for PVD when he first entered your airspace? :)

I have a feeling someone's going to hate me for this, but I don't like Tim Horton's. I don't like the pastries or their coffee. Neither's very addictive to me!

Its way better than starbucks. I loved Deidrich's stuff until the evil starbucks bought them out.

I remember my first time getting taxi instructions to de-ice in Montreal.

"Taxi to Say and call Iceman"..

Er.. "Taxi to say.. Say what?"

"Taxi via Say."

I have no idea how to spell it, but the controller was using the French word for the letter 'S', aka 'Sierra'.

If she just went ICAO standard, I'd have understood her. She got testy that I don't speak French. I resisted the urge to laugh at her.

Hey, what did you think about Delta 99 asking for PVD when he first entered your airspace? :)
I thought (as it often happens)

"He doesn't think controllers talk to each other" :D

In fact on more than one occasion a pilot would request something with one controller, be denied, then on check-in with me request it again

"United 123, he's sitting right beside me you know?"

I remember my first time getting taxi instructions to de-ice in Montreal.

"Taxi to Say and call Iceman"..

Er.. "Taxi to say.. Say what?"

"Taxi via Say."

I have no idea how to spell it, but the controller was using the French word for the letter 'S', aka 'Sierra'.

If she just went ICAO standard, I'd have understood her. She got testy that I don't speak French. I resisted the urge to laugh at her.

Possibly a trainee, but there's no excuse for anything but english on the frequency IMO.

;)

I know the guy too, that's the funny part. I'm going to give him crap tomorrow when I go to work.

"There he goes, asking the woman that just worked the previous frequency!"

I'm working 80 on tuesday if you're around!

;)

I know the guy too, that's the funny part. I'm going to give him crap tomorrow when I go to work.

"There he goes, asking the woman that just worked the previous frequency!"

I'm working 80 on tuesday if you're around!
I won't be on tommorow, I am working tonight actually in an hour and a half, midnight overtime (nothing like getting paid double time to watch the frieght jockeys and the "Tel-Aviv's" fly along)

Cool!

Ok, 81 on the 9th if you're around!

I'll uhh, be asking for direct to TRAIT when handed off from Gander Center! :) :sarcasm:

Cool!

Ok, 81 on the 9th if you're around!

I'll uhh, be asking for direct to TRAIT when handed off from Gander Center! :) :sarcasm:
I might see ya then, not sure if I'm evening or day shift that day...

I don't mind giving directs during the flow if the right controller is working in Boston.
It's all the time of day and where the tracks are too, anytime tonight after 0100 local I'll be driving JFK guys direct ROBER all night.

I generally don't ask for too many directs. Besides the November routes are largely direct anyway so it's kind of a waste of your time when we ask, I think. Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno! :)

Question! If the freq's not busy, it's not too much of hassle when I say hello, is it?

I generally don't ask for too many directs. Besides the November routes are largely direct anyway so it's kind of a waste of your time when we ask, I think. Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno! :)

Question! If the freq's not busy, it's not too much of hassle when I say hello, is it?
God no, I'm sure you can tell when any of us are busy, depending on the airspace you're in we may be on the phone quite a bit talking to NY or Gander planner, most of the controllers around here actually are getting used to the odd hellos and such... I'm just waiting now for some other pilot to start asking for Biscut....

The NAR's are generally pretty direct, but your airline specifically has a habit lately where the westbound tracks have been south of filing routes like COLOR-MIILS-ENE... which is a helluva dogleg, but when we check the winds usually it's to avoid a nasty headwind everyone else is flying into, so it all balances out in the end.

All of this being said, I can't guarantee you won't run into an over-worked and irritable controller from time to time, but in general everyone here are great to work with, aside from the constant berating I take over being a Dolphins fan that is.

Oh and the other that gets me every time is when they tell us to contact departure airborne. I forget to do it every time. I'm just so used to being told to do it.

See, I actually like it better. It seems all the other airports contacting departure happens right as you're cleaning up the airplane and doing the after takeoff check.

Ok, so here is the world's worst Canada joke:

The residents of Canada (all six of them) were sitting around one day back a couple hundred years ago trying to decide what to name their new nation. A few suggestions were thrown about, like "Hoseria" and "The Democratic Republic of Hockey," but for the most part the citizens of our neighbor to the North were out of ideas. At one point, the smartest of the bunch decided that if they put all of the letters from a game of Scrabble into a hat, and picked the letters out one by one, they might be able to come up with something good using those letters. At the very least, it would pass the time.

So the letters go into the hat, and one by one, their leader pulls them out.

He says, "Alright everyone, I pulled out a C, eh?"
"Here's an 'N', eh?"
"And a 'D', eh?"

And that's how Canada got it's name.

(I know, I know, I told you it was awful...)

Very late to the show, but what is up with saying "Roger," after every time I respond to ATC?

P.S. my favorite overnights are always Canada. Guys/gals at my company don't like them but I enjoy Canada trips.

Same here! I want to know if the "roger" after everything is just a habit, or some part of international ATC that we haven't heard read about.

I like the canada trips too.

Here is a true YUL customs story with one of my crews.....

Captain Hillbilly, upon getting to the front of line with the canadain customs agent is asked: "Any tobacco or alcohol?" (As in bringing in any)

Captain Hillbilly responds " Them are my childreenss names! "

FO (myself) just silently shakes my head, as the FA did the same.
The French speaking/serious canadain official wasnt impressed either.

No wonder other people dont like americans sometimes.

French Canadians, well Quebecers anyway don't find any english people funny in my experience :)

Back