Canadian-isms

French Canadians, well Quebecers anyway don't find any english people funny in my experience :)

Based on my experience on that trip through customs i cant blame ya man!

I at least try to be polite and speak alittle french when i can, it works for me.

To many other people are just "annoyed to be in canada".
Whatever.
They should stay home or in the hotel. And in many cases they do, so the problem fixes itself.

French Canadians, well Quebecers anyway don't find any english people funny in my experience :)

And what's up with the "Poutine" thing man? :)

Oh, I'm working 160 on the 13th. I'll say hi if I'm not on break and you're not on leave (again!) :)

Yeah they pretty much have surly attitudes towards everyone who isnt a french canadian...I once had a waitress in Toronto ask me why Uncle Sam couldnt nuke Quebec?, of course this was when Quebec was trying to succeed from the union......:laff:

Very late to the show, but what is up with saying "Roger," after every time I respond to ATC?

Cant quote anything since im not Canadian but i do believe they are required to acknowledge all pilot transmissions. So they have to roger your read back aswell. Kinda silly

In YYZ I never call them ramp or apron. I just say "toronto jazz 283 at..." In fact, anywhere in canada I dont think I refer to them as apron.

Up here we always joke about the accents of controllers in EWR and BOS. ATL cracks me up too. My favourite controllers are with NY center.

There's one YYZ controller who the jazz and air canada guys refer to as "roj." Instead of saying "roger" he always says "roj." I find the YYZ controllers great and accomodating.

As far as Tim Hortons goes, well Im not a huge fan. I prefer Starbucks and Second Cup, especially since now they have the christmas blend. I dont like how in the USA the starbucks only have the mild blend. In Canada there's always a bold/mild choice, so in the US I go with McDonald's coffee.

The lineups in T1 at YYZ at Tim's in the morning is absolutely ridiculous too! Ive waited 15+ minutes to get a coffee. Terrible service, but I still go. I think they put nicotine in their coffee ;)

And what's up with the "Poutine" thing man? :)

Oh, I'm working 160 on the 13th. I'll say hi if I'm not on break and you're not on leave (again!) :)
Hey hey, I wasn't on leave... I was actually there that day! Mind you on Overtime, so I shoulda been on days off....

Poutine? Man please tell me you've had it. It's the most unholy unhealthy thing you can put in your body, but MAN is it good!

In YYZ I never call them ramp or apron. I just say "toronto jazz 283 at..." In fact, anywhere in canada I dont think I refer to them as apron.

Up here we always joke about the accents of controllers in EWR and BOS. ATL cracks me up too. My favourite controllers are with NY center.

There's one YYZ controller who the jazz and air canada guys refer to as "roj." Instead of saying "roger" he always says "roj." I find the YYZ controllers great and accomodating.

As far as Tim Hortons goes, well Im not a huge fan. I prefer Starbucks and Second Cup, especially since now they have the christmas blend. I dont like how in the USA the starbucks only have the mild blend. In Canada there's always a bold/mild choice, so in the US I go with McDonald's coffee.

The lineups in T1 at YYZ at Tim's in the morning is absolutely ridiculous too! Ive waited 15+ minutes to get a coffee. Terrible service, but I still go. I think they put nicotine in their coffee ;)
Hey Chris, you're a Jazz pilot?

RJ or Dash?

RJ, based in YYZ. Nice to see another fellow canuck here!
Ahh right on.

I'm sure I've spoken to you on more than one occasion, question for you though, are you guys dual-typed on the 100/200's and the newer 900's?

My guess would be no, but the topic did come up at work the other day.

Ahh right on.

I'm sure I've spoken to you on more than one occasion, question for you though, are you guys dual-typed on the 100/200's and the newer 900's?

My guess would be no, but the topic did come up at work the other day.

Yeah we fly them all. There actually isn't a separate type-rating in Canada, all RJs are covered under the CL65 type. When hired, we just had to go through a "differences" groundschool which was 1 day of class and 3 sim sessions, if I recall.

What center/frequency do you normally work?

Some observations I noticed:

-Why are the lights on the taxiway directly on the yellow lines?
-Why aren't the runways grooved?
-Why is there a t/o noise restricition in the early morning(don't these people realize they live near an airport)?
-Why are Canadian ATC the nicest folks to talk to?
-Why did we actually get a hold two weeks ago going into CYUL? Is the airport that busy? (Yes there was weather with low ceilings).
-Why do we need to slow down to 200 knots under 3000 feet?
-Why does Toronto Center ask if we have the ATIS so far out from the airport?

These maybe dumb questions but if I don't know how will I know if they are stupid?

It's so easy to forget that one when I'm flying up there!

Oh and I've noticed that Canadians are nice folks in general. I've only hd one experience a Canadian that was a real meany. It was a CBP agent at the airport in Hamilton. He was incredibly rude!

Some observations I noticed:

-Why are the lights on the taxiway directly on the yellow lines?
-Why aren't the runways grooved?
-Why is there a t/o noise restricition in the early morning(don't these people realize they live near an airport)?
-Why are Canadian ATC the nicest folks to talk to?
-Why did we actually get a hold two weeks ago going into CYUL? Is the airport that busy? (Yes there was weather with low ceilings).
-Why does Toronto Center ask if we have the ATIS so far out from the airport?

These maybe dumb questions but if I don't know how will I know if they are stupid?

1. Some runways are in fact grooved. Not sure which airports have them, but Im pretty dang sure the bigger airports do.

2. The t/o noise restriction... ah yes. At YYZ, they have a 630am curfew. You can land/depart before that, but you have to pay for it. We have some flights that are scheduled to arrive at 630am, with a strong tailwind or weak headwind, we've had to do a lot of holding at Wasie waypoint. I dont know why airports have these curfews, but im sure some rich city folk have friends in high places.

3. YUL can be a busy place. With IMC conditions, they probably needed to keep the spacing, thus the hold. No different than going into EWR Id imagine, just on a smaller scale.

4. Speed restrictions in Canada are 250 below 10000 and 200 kts below 3000ft within 10sm of the airport.

5. I dont know why some airports are gung-ho about having the ATIS. Most ATC will just tell you what the info is and ask you to get it.

Back