Canadian-isms

I was just curious why there were such differences.

It is like a Mormon family living next door to the Osbournes.

Of course there will be differences.

anflagcan.gif

O Canada! Our home and native land
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise
The true north, strong and free
From far and wide, O Canada
We stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free
O Canada! We stand on guard for thee
O Canada! We stand on guard for thee.

anflagcan.gif

It always sounds like they are talking into a Dixie cup, just like ORF approach. Maybe its one of those David Clark headsets with the protective cup looking microphone?

ATL Concourse A. Best use of retail space besides Popeye's since Mo' Better Chicken closed.

"Wha yo wan Babee?"

First time I went to Popeye's in (I think) B Concourse the gal behind the counter said something like "bo wa yu wa?" Thank god the ASA captain behind me in line translated for me.

How about crossing the boarder back into the US at 6-9,000 feet and Canadian Center telling you that Cleveland can't see you on their radar yet. Wat?
And here I thought Drug smugglers had to fly at tree top level. :dunno:

-----
- Radar Identified.
- Cleared off enroute frequency.

And the lack of tell you to contact departure. :radar:

So what gives? Why is there different terms between the US and CA?

Line up and wait vs position and hold

thats correct vs nothing

cleared to 9000 vs descend and maintain 9000

and why the heck does it always sound like ya'll are talking from a bi-plane? :)

ps. whats the hoopla over Tim Hortons? lol

Alright lemme clarify a few things.

The "correct" phraseology in Canada is (for each example)

"Line Up and Wait" This is an ICAO standard, and met resistance, but is the phraseology that's supposed to be in use in Canada, and according to ICAO and NavCanada the world over?

"That's Correct" Um... well as I've stated before we have to by our rules acknowledge a readback, it's a layer of safety... but "That's Correct" isn't "Correct" phraseology really, "Roger" (Hence the Roger fights of great fame)

"Cleared to 9000" This is old phraseology, we're not supposed to say this anymore either unless I missed a memo, but it's supposed to be "Descend to 9,000 or Climb to flight level 3 5 0"

On the note about the bad radios, please for GOD SAKE write somebody at NavCanada and KEEP writing. We know the radios are terrible but they still work well enough I guess?? A few hundred pilots writing to complain about the "service" (ATC in Canada is a public company serving customers don't forget)

On the note about Tim Hortons.... well I think enough's been said but man I gotta add that it's 0447 right now, and I'm almost out the door to work, and without my Large One and One with Milk Tim Hortons Crac...er coffee my day would not start... it gives you horrid gut rot for the first 5-10 times you drink it, after that the cocaine they mix in with the sugar starts to give you the addicition you just can't shake.

I don't even know why these people advertise, from 6AM-10AM any morning of the week at ANY Tim Hortons in the Country, there's a line-up of 15-20 cars constantly in the drive-thru, not to mention try taking a morning flight at any Airport in Canada and getting a muffin and a coffee a make your flight.

My advice to you is not to drink it, you'll become addicted and you will be saying "Aboot" "Eh?" and "THAT WAS ICING YA HOSER!".

On the note about Tim Hortons.... well I think enough's been said but man I gotta add that it's 0447 right now, and I'm almost out the door to work, and without my Large One and One with Milk Tim Hortons Crac...er coffee my day would not start... it gives you horrid gut rot for the first 5-10 times you drink it, after that the cocaine they mix in with the sugar starts to give you the addicition you just can't shake.

I don't even know why these people advertise, from 6AM-10AM any morning of the week at ANY Tim Hortons in the Country, there's a line-up of 15-20 cars constantly in the drive-thru, not to mention try taking a morning flight at any Airport in Canada and getting a muffin and a coffee a make your flight.

My advice to you is not to drink it, you'll become addicted and you will be saying "Aboot" "Eh?" and "THAT WAS ICING YA HOSER!".

:yup:

So true about it being addictive. Rumor has it that the cups are lined with an addictive substance in the wax cuz no one can really explain the phenomena.
I used to live in Southern Ontario and yes those line up's at the drive through's were ridiculous. You used to be able to pick up a franchise for a couple hundred thousand dolars but now it's well over the mill mark with a huge waiting list.
Oh well, Gretzky and Tim Hortons, that's what we're known for! :)

It is like a Mormon family living next door to the Osbournes.

Of course there will be differences.
You know, if Canadians would just try a little harder to assimilate...:)

anflagcan.gif

O Canada! Our home and native land
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise
The true north, strong and free
From far and wide, O Canada
We stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free
O Canada! We stand on guard for thee
O Canada! We stand on guard for thee.

anflagcan.gif
Every time I hear that being sung, I think it sounds more like a dirge than a National Anthem. Come on, pick up the pace.

I have a feeling someone's going to hate me for this, but I don't like Tim Horton's. I don't like the pastries or their coffee. Neither's very addictive to me!

So why didn't ICAO make holding patterns termed "waiting patterns."

"Line up and wait" just sounds, so, :drool:

Back