Broken Airnet Crew in DAY - Pilot Pushing

I remember my first solo, my heart was in my throat as I taxied out, I was so nervous!!!

If you aren't nervous the first time you fly an airplane by yourself, you don't apreciate the gravity of the situation.

You weren't nervous the first time you flew an airplane by yourself?

You can be so nervous your hands are shaking but still comfortable with the situation dealt to yourself and confident you'll execute.

Every time I play in a golf tournament, I'm so nervous on the first tee it's hard for me to get the club back. When I'm in the hunt, I get nervous over 3-4 foot putts and it's hard to take the putter back. That said, I know I've worked hard enough at it that I'll execute without a problem. I'm perfectly comfortable being nervous.

Point: Nerves has nothing to do with confidence, comfort in the situation and executing your task within your limits.

Scared, on the other hand is when you have no idea what is going to happen because you haven't done it before and it's outside your personal limits. Imagine trying to shoot an ILS to mins on your first solo. You wouldn't have been nervous, you would have been scared. There's a huge difference. Extreme, but valid example.

-mini

I think I just pissed myself laughing!

Really? That's the most foolish thing I've ever heard. Never turn off your critical thinking, you will die if you do.

And it depends on the situation whether I fly the company profs to the letter. Company profile at my old company said 180Kts in the climb, you'll never make it out of the icing at that speed, so you pitch for the book icing penetration speed of 140. My current company says 100 on down wind, 90 on base, 80 kts on final, sometimes, if you want to take care of the engine, these speeds are not possible, so no, it depends very much on the situation whether I fly to the letter of the company profs.

My company says first notch of flaps and approach checklist at 20 miles out. Then gear down and flaps full at 10 miles out. That works 90% of the time, but the other 10% of the time, you have a jet behind you, or you just don't have the luxury of slowing down that far away. Sometimes you have to keep it to redline up to about 8 miles, idle the power levers, and dump the flaps and gear. If I were a brand new captain, I'd probably elect to tell ATC "unable" if they ask me to deviate from company procedures. But if I were more experienced, I don't see anything wrong with operating "outside the box".

Also, one thing I've learned over the years: Generally people who condemn others for having too much confidence in the cockpit, are themselves very inconfident about their own piloting abilities.

Generally people who use made-up words like "inconfident" majored in gym class during their formative years. ;)

You can be so nervous your hands are shaking but still comfortable with the situation dealt to yourself and confident you'll execute.

Every time I play in a golf tournament, I'm so nervous on the first tee it's hard for me to get the club back. When I'm in the hunt, I get nervous over 3-4 foot putts and it's hard to take the putter back. That said, I know I've worked hard enough at it that I'll execute without a problem. I'm perfectly comfortable being nervous.

Point: Nerves has nothing to do with confidence, comfort in the situation and executing your task within your limits.

Scared, on the other hand is when you have no idea what is going to happen because you haven't done it before and it's outside your personal limits. Imagine trying to shoot an ILS to mins on your first solo. You wouldn't have been nervous, you would have been scared. There's a huge difference. Extreme, but valid example.

-mini

Exactly!

I was very nervous the first few time I flew alone! But, being nervous didn't mean I wasn't prepared. I was nervous, not afraid!

My company says first notch of flaps and approach checklist at 20 miles out. Then gear down and flaps full at 10 miles out.

If you don't mind saying, who do you work for? Or at the very least, what type of plane are you flying?

Here is the first Airnet toilet thread I've ever seen on JC. I'm going back to the OOTSK forum.

That's what happens when it gets posted in General Topics.

And if it makes you guys feel better, 99% of the BS in this thread had nothing to do with Airnet.

Wow, was that necessary?

What exactly do you laugh about in my posts? Seriously, now I'm vaguely interested in your opinion.

Let's start with you answering a simple question that you have so far managed to dodge several times: do you or do you not follow the regulations for writing up broken items on your aircraft?

<-- sorry I started the thread that has been so offensive to the good people at AirNet

Here is the first Airnet toilet thread I've ever seen on JC. I'm going back to the OOTSK forum.

I belive I'll join you. But first,

Anybody who isn't or wasn't a member of the order is a sissy poo poo head.

Let's start with you answering a simple question that you have so far managed to dodge several times: do you or do you not follow the regulations for writing up broken items on your aircraft?

You think I'm going to answer that here on the web? Nope. Yes or no, the feds will find fault.

I'm out of here, back to the real world OOTSK!

You think I'm going to answer that here on the web? Nope. Yes or no, the feds will find fault.

I'm out of here, back to the real world OOTSK!

There's no fault in saying that you follow the regs. You only have something to fear if you don't follow them. I think that gives us our answer.

You've never broken a reg? Ever? Really PCL? Really?

I'm sure I have on multiple occasions, but I endeavor not to. You seem to be saying that you're ok with willfully making a habit of breaking the regs dealing with maintenance. I can understand an occasional accidental oversight of a reg, but not a willful disregard for the regs. There are plenty of regs that I don't like (sterile cockpit, headsets req'd below 18k, etc...), but I still try my best to follow them. I would hope that you do the same.

Back