Broken Airnet Crew in DAY - Pilot Pushing

Yeah we had Archie's video too, but I'll be honest I doubt anyone actually adsorbed it. I know I didn't. Too much other stuff to think about at that time, in addition to it being shown in a dim room after lunch...It kinda got pushed into the "nice to know" column vs. the "need to know" column :D.

Just remember to park it at tilt...

You laugh but half the time the Radar's are written up it's because its a new hire that doesn't have a clue how to use it.
We have RADARs?:eek:

For those of you who are going to use common sense and realize that no airplane can be perfect, when you're flying old airplanes, there is a list of priorities that you should think about if you don't have an MEL.
Actually there's a list in the back of the AFM and in part 91. It's all inclusive. You don't need to make up your own, in absence of an MEL.

I don't condone not grounding an airplane because you find something wrong, but I don't think an airplane necessarily needs to be held on the ground if an EGT is busted.

EGT can be MEL'd. You've got 2, you need 0. It was the CHT, which cannot.

-mini

pilot pushing can also happen at other levels. If you're sick a certain number of times (even with legit documentation) you can get a written warning letter in your PRIA. Talk about trying to make someone fly when they're sick because of a fear of getting written up for it.

We have RADARs?:eek:

Actually there's a list in the back of the AFM and in part 91. It's all inclusive. You don't need to make up your own, in absence of an MEL.

EGT can be MEL'd. You've got 2, you need 0. It was the CHT, which cannot.

-mini

Not 135, you've got to have everything working if it doesn't have an mel

pilot pushing can also happen at other levels. If you're sick a certain number of times (even with legit documentation) you can get a written warning letter in your PRIA. Talk about trying to make someone fly when they're sick because of a fear of getting written up for it.

Where I'm at right now, you might get fired if you're caught flying while sick if you knew you were sick prior to the flight. Especially if it causes you to declare an emergency.

There are also those who claim they are sick every Friday. How can you be sick every Friday?:eek:

I haven't had a problem sqawking aircraft. If it's broke, it's broke. Maintenance might get a little huffy about some things, but more or less they want to see things fixed. Their feet are held to the fire just as much as ours when it comes to doing their jobs.

For those of you who are going to use common sense and realize that no airplane can be perfect, when you're flying old airplanes, there is a list of priorities that you should think about if you don't have an MEL.

Prioritizing stuff is extremely poor ADM. Ever hear of the domino effect?

My experience has been that the guys who think they're getting "pushed" at freight companies do all their badmouthing behind the scenes. When they're on the phone with the DO or maintenance they're all yessir yessir three bags full sir. The DO isn't there and it's not his job to determine the airworthiness of the aircraft, it's your's.

I've never been "pushed." Not even close.

PS. The guys writing up yoke clips and decals sound like they're doing a fine job of pricing themselves right out of the transportation industry.

Prioritizing stuff is extremely poor ADM. Ever hear of the domino effect?

Flying is all prioritization. That's what you do everytime you take off, remember the ultimate list of priorities, Aviate, Navigate, Communicate?

Yes, I have had mx come out to replace the reflective tape on the APU Fire Control door on the tail of the 717 when it was mostly worn off. It's a required item. Are you saying that you willfully ignore regulations? I hope not.

PCL of course I am not going to ignore the regs, if it must be written it will be put in the log.

PS. The guys writing up yoke clips and decals sound like they're doing a fine job of pricing themselves right out of the transportation industry.

I don't know. When I do a post-flight inspection (which I believe is more important sometimes than my pre-flight), I'll write up every little thing I find.

That way the crew that takes the plane tomorrow doesn't have anything "little" pop up that they have to ground the plane for.

It's amazing what you find on a post flight inspection that you miss all night. Plus, to be honest, sometimes shtuff just goes bad when you shut 'em off for the night. Stickers and placards get yanked off accidentally by your flight case, VGs fall off, static wicks break if you bump into them.

I'd rather write it up than have the next crew come out and fly an unairworthy plane (or ground it) because my fat @$$ ran into a placard or static wick.

Just my $.02.

-mini

I don't know. When I do a post-flight inspection (which I believe is more important sometimes than my pre-flight), I'll write up every little thing I find.

When I bring a plane into our MX base I make a list of squacks to hand to the mechs. I make no apologies for this. If I don't tell them all the little things that need to be fixed, how will they know?

However, if I'm away from any convient MX. I will be as flexiable as the regs allow in order to make it home. I had a placard fall off the pannel last week. Do you think I wrote up a squack far away from home for something that does not affect safety of flight? Heck no, I got some scotch tape, and stuck the stupid sticker back on untill I got home.

All my time flying professionally I've learned something.

If it's broke, write it up. Let the company deal with it. If there is an approved MEL, then it'll get tagged if it's in the book and you go. If not, they'll fix it.

Let's say a gauge or instrument is being goofy, but you can verify the system is working properly by another instrument. The question you have to ask yourself is, "How can I guarantee the other instrument won't fail?" If there is more than one way to verify something is working, the engineers did it for a reason.

Sure there are things, such as placards, that do wear out over time and what not. That might be a good thing to put in the book before you leave the station. Usually those items can be placed under a deferred maintenance status (If your company uses that system) or can put a "fix" on it.

If it's broke, write it up. Let the company deal with it.
I think that's the bottom line that we should all follow.

If it's broke and you know it, MEL it or get it fixed. Obviously, I make mistakes, I miss things on pre-flight. I'm as human as all of us. As soon as it's discovered, it gets written up.

-mini

Flying is all prioritization. That's what you do everytime you take off, remember the ultimate list of priorities, Aviate, Navigate, Communicate?

Yes I have heard of that.

From what you said though you would not write up a landing gear tire when it has cord showing or about to fall off because it doesnt fit in your 'priority' structure.

Yes I have heard of that.

From what you said though you would not write up a landing gear tire when it has cord showing or about to fall off because it doesnt fit in your 'priority' structure.
Hey look there goes the point right over Seggy's head.

That way the crew that takes the plane tomorrow doesn't have anything "little" pop up that they have to ground the plane for.

It's amazing what you find on a post flight inspection that you miss all night. Plus, to be honest, sometimes shtuff just goes bad when you shut 'em off for the night. Stickers and placards get yanked off accidentally by your flight case, VGs fall off, static wicks break if you bump into them.

I'd rather write it up than have the next crew come out and fly an unairworthy plane (or ground it) because my fat @$$ ran into a placard or static wick.

Just my $.02.

-mini

Agreed. I'm not sure what it sounded like I was saying, but for my money if the yoke clip or decal is "broken", I'll tell the company when it's time for it to rotate in for inspection or maintenance anyway. Obviously you don't just watch the 'little things' pile up as the aircraft slowly disintegrates around you. But you also don't, if you don't relish the idea of your company paying shop rate so someone can fix a busted spring in a yoke clip you never use anyway, start downing airplanes for piddling little stuff and then bitch and moan that you don't get paid enough.

In my years in this profession. I never saw any pilot pushing when the problem was legitimate. BUt I did see many times where the issue was BS and the real problem was something else (the pilot didn't want to fly that day, or because he felt his skills weren't up to dealing with what needed to be done).

I also heard a lot of "I'm not comfortable with that." That's BS. An intelligent, college educated, part 121 professional aircrew member ought to be able to clearly explain exactly what the problem is, not call forth unspecified horrors from the imagination. You're not paid to be comfortable. You're paid to do a job. If you can't do the job, you ought to be able to explain why.

As far as sick calls go, again, some were legitimately sick. And there were others who called in sick because it was a holiday, or because weather, ATC, or pax loads caused a problem with the commute. Those guys are the reason that legitimate sick calls are questioned.

Thomas Jefferson said "Rigid integrity is the first and most gainful qualification in every profession." Maintain your integrity and you will have nothing to fear from being called on the carpet."

Back