Broken Airnet Crew in DAY - Pilot Pushing

If you don't mind saying, who do you work for? Or at the very least, what type of plane are you flying?

I'd rather not saw who I work for, but I fly a large twin engine turboprop

By the way, take this for what it is worth, but at Delta, they ask a question similar to the situations we are talking about here.

'It is Christmas Eve you are in a station with no maintenance and have a full plane of passengers going back to ATL, you and your crew are going home once you land. On your preflight you discover your nav light on the left wing is burned out. The Captain says he will write it up back in ATL we are going. What do you do?'

If you don't do things properly on the line as a Captain good luck trying to rational your decision to an interview board. By the way I was asked this question and a few follow ups and they didn't seem to have a problem with my answer FWIW.

Just curious, what was your answer? Me personally, what I would do in that situation, and what I would say I'd do during an interview are two different things.

As someone who has BTDT, write *whatever* it is up.

If your company does not like it, get out now. Pocket gripes will sooner or later lead to inquisitive investigations. Nothing like having a part waiting at a station, and no matching gripe in a logbook, and an FAA rep standing next to the box. This was what happened to a friend 15 years ago. Now, the records are even more computerized. Invoices, etc are very easy to get. (And the way I understand it, *anything* is available to the FAA. Emails, invoices, jotted notes, anything.)

The "We'll get it fixed at XYZ" response will get you in trouble, only a matter of time. If you work for someone that tells you that, you are looking for trouble.

Wow, Sara was right, that did make my blood pressure rise!

First of all, and this is directed toward ZapBrannigan, when I need someone to speak up for me and complain for me, I'll ask.

Second of all Sara's Boyfriend is not getting furloughed from PSA, so already I'm thinking this guy doesn't know his a$$ from his elbow.

Next I would like to dispell the rumor that I got disiplined for writing TOO much up. When having the conversation with this pilot while I was waiting on another aircraft to be brought to me, I remember us having a discussion on 135 carriers that have "not so good" mx. I also remember telling him how great Airnet is about fixing things. I told him, so let me tell you now, and we can squash that rumor. Airnet has OUTSTANDING MX!!!!! I can't tell you enough. One of the main reasons I came to Airnet was because of the reputation of their mx department. If something is broke, they fix it, PERIOD!

Next rumor, Pilot Pushing. Airnet does not pilot push. I write stuff up all the time. The Barons we fly are old. They get flown a lot. Things break. It seems I am always having to write something up. Out of all the times I have written something up there was only one time I was asked about it from the Chief Pilots office. And it wasn't a big deal. I have never never ever felt between a rock and a hard place with this company. Again, the MX department is OUTSTANDING.

Next topic, Sara. She is getting a lot of right seat time in the twin. But you know, I think she is lucky. She's right out of school, and she's getting all this valuable time. I wish I would have been able to build time this way. IMHO there isn't a better way to build time than right here. She's going to be a much safer and compitent pilot that most people out there with 1200 hours, including myself when I had that kind of time. You're out in the weather, flying a twin, shooting approaches down to minimums. I remember when I had 500-700 hours. I would have been nervous flying single pilot IFR in a fast pace environment like we have here at Airnet. When I came here with over 2000 hours I was nervous about working here. Airnet, (again IMHO) is the cream of the crop as far as 135 carriers go. It is fast paced, we fly in weather, and we get the job done. Now unless I got the wrong idea about that statement about her, I am offended. I took it as an insult towards her. Than again maybe I'm being an over protective Captain.

She is a great pilot. There is no shame in thinking ahead, expecially while still somewhat new, and being anxious, thinking about when it will be your turn to get out there. She hasn't been out on her own that much. But I can tell you, aside from her not having the required minimums, she could go out there tomorrow and get the job done. She may, and I say may, possibly, and I mean possibly need a small confidence boost, but other than that, she's ready. She's probably the best pilot I have ever flown with. She doesn't have a whole lot of experience, in the grand scheme of things, but she's level headed, thinks of everything from all possible angles, she gets the job done safely, flies great, and best of all, keeps her Captain in line:D. (In fact, she'll probably tell me tomorrow I should have just stayed out of this discussion...lol)

I am offended that someone will take a conversation I had with him, twist it and manipulate it, pity me, and put words in my mouth. I can speak for myself, and if I have something to complain about, you can be sure I will (just ask Sara). But sorry to burst your bubble, I have nothing but positive things to say about Airnet. Like I said earlier, as far as 135 carriers go, Airnet can't be beat. ZapBrannigan told me he was on JC and that I should drop by here and say hi sometime. I told him I don't get on JC much anymore because mostly it is filled with squabbling babies with back ass backward views, that feel they have to complain about any and everything, then manipulate everything anyone says, then pick fights with everyone else. Sorry if that offends you, but he just proved my point, just by opening his mouth, and trying to start something that isn't there in the first place.

Now my blood pressure is starting to rise again, and I'm getting off track. I'm not about to fall into the trap of getting drawn into a 7 page discussion (crap storm), so I've said my peace, and I've got nothing left to say but

God Bless Airnet
God Bless Sara
and
God Bless my Baron!:rawk:
http://forums.jetcareers.com/members/zapbrannigan.html

Relax, bro. Best handled thru a private message.

Besides, most of us "squabbling babies with back ass backward views" (whatever that means) probably haven't been following the drama as closely as you have.

Relax, bro. Best handled thru a private message.

Besides, most of us "squabbling babies with back ass backward views" (whatever that means) probably haven't been following the drama as closely as you have.

It's actually really funny to hear that because I started coming here and stopped going to... other... aviation themed... forums... for that reason. JC, to me, has a much more positive outlook.

Oh man, you ought to see my union's forums. And there's abundance of 40 and 50 year olds "ackin' a fool"! :)

Sorry man. Didn't mean to misconstrue your statements. Thought it was a good topic for conversation. I apologize if I offended either you or your first officer.

I just reread the thread that started this and I thought it had a positive tone. I certainly didn't mean anything negative by it but I admit that if I got the facts incorrect it could have caused you some grief.

Again, my apologies. Don't blame Jetcareers or it's other members for what I posted.

I don't see any dirty laundry.

The original poster (Zap) didn't directly name anyone specifically that we know on the forum. . .

Then . . . someone comes along and has his feelings hurt. Big deal, moving on. We would have never known who Zap spoke to, if it wasn't for that person putting themselves into the center of the discussion.

The merits of discussing pilot pushing with a profession that is primarily too young to know what it is is still a benefit in my eyes.

Back