Better Paying Survey Companies Hiring for the Summer

Do any of you that fly rotational schedules work part time while home for extra income?

I don't, but I had a co-worker that did tailwheel and backcountry CFIing on his off-rotation and that seemed to work pretty well and I'd happily do that if I lived in the right spot.

I talked to some folks that ferry Caravans internationally, but the timing never worked out right and I never followed up with it.

There are some rumors that Quantum might have two 208 openings in the near to very near future for commutable 16/12s if anyone wants to update their resumes. I have a buddy doing an interview there this week and there's two other openings being discussed, but it's at the rumor stage.

Regarding your 16/12 and 23/12 deployments.....is it year round work? Do you ever end up sitting for periods of time (at home for example....and not getting paid) due to seasonality or weather?

Regarding your 16/12 and 23/12 deployments.....is it year round work? Do you ever end up sitting for periods of time (at home for example....and not getting paid) due to seasonality or weather?

Not at all as the only time you might get sent home early is if a sensor craps out on you and they need to air cargo it somewhere, but usually in that instance they'll offer to double crew you somewhere. If you'd like a month or more off you can swap it with a co-worker or ask the boss for time off during the annuals.

There are some rumors that Quantum might have two 208 openings in the near to very near future for commutable 16/12s if anyone wants to update their resumes. I have a buddy doing an interview there this week and there's two other openings being discussed, but it's at the rumor stage.
where do i send my resume

I’m with another gig rn but just out of curiosity, I see on LinkedIn they’re hiring at 750TT. Is that negotiable? Like 400-ish Tt?

They have hired some new pilots that the ink in the commercial certificate is not even dry. So if you have over 250TT A Commercial License with Instrument send in your resume.

General thoughts, pay, equipment, quality of life, etc...

After my departure they have decided they needed to increase pay for the pilots (C441). The Schedule is 15 on and 6 off. You start early Wednesday commuting to your aircraft and are expected to do a lift if weather permit. On the Wednesday that you are commuting home you are expected to do a lift and then commute home after 1PM. Travel days are the longest days on the rotation. Equipment is nicely maintained but the airplanes are old and they all have little glitches. During my 2 years I didn't have a problem downing an aircraft because I found something wrong. Most of the flying is during the day in nice weather conditions on ocation you are expected to commute in bad weatehr, If the weather was below my personal minimums I didn't have a problem delaying my departure. I did some approaches down to minimums but not many.

What's the rest period?
The Schedule is Wednesday to Wednesday, 15 days on and rest day starts Thursday to Tuesday 6 days off. But on Monday you need to start paying attention to figure out where you are heading. The Conquest pilots live on the road all year around with sometimes with slow periods between jobs.
15 on
6 off

The Schedule is Wednesday to Wednesday, 15 days on and rest day starts Thursday to Tuesday 6 days off. But on Monday you need to start paying attention to figure out where you are heading. The Conquest pilots live on the road all year around with sometimes with slow periods between jobs.
15 on
6 off
right, but how many hours a day do you fly at most?

They have hired some new pilots that the ink in the commercial certificate is not even dry. So if you have over 250TT A Commercial License with Instrument send in your resume.
Hi Alex!
Since the flying is VFR, is the IFR rating a complete must?
I have a CPL and ME with 1000TT but no IFR.

Hi Alex!
Since the flying is VFR, is the IFR rating a complete must?
I have a CPL and ME with 1000TT but no IFR.

The job posting says that a instrument rating is required and i doubt that you would be hired anywhere to fly commercially without it. You might have luck dropping skydivers without the ifr, but as most pilots get the ifr on their way to commercial its almost a mandatory requirement to have.

Last edited:

The job posting says that a instrument rating is required and i doubt that you would be hired anywhere to fly commercially without it. You might have luck dropping skydivers without the ifr, but as most pilots get the ifr on their way to commercial its almost a mandatory requirement to have.
Did you work at Surdex?

Did you work at Surdex?
I never worked for them, but I can give you some details of my survey experience from another "VFR conditions" survey experience. This will help explain why they likely require the Instrument rating

It's possible that a project area you are shooting will be VFR but the airport you are at is IFR. You would need the IFR to get in or out then. This has happened to me. We worked on a project as long as we were able but needed to shoot an approach to get back into the airport we were calling home at the time.

Repositions (flights to new work-sites) were typically done IFR. this simplified coordination with company. Additionally, the operation would not be very efficient if you could only do VFR. 1000-3 is technically VFR but a proficient instrument pilot is arguably safer at 3000 in the clouds (no icing) than at 900 feet scud running (in my opinion).

Amazing tips by everyone here guys. I am so glad we are helping each other with honest and direct information in these times of covid

Edit: also, yeah. I, too, agree that it is much harder to find jobs without an IFR rating. Plus, it’s just such a perfect tool to save you whenever you need it the most, or simply to get preference over other traffic.
I’ve ferried planes both ifr and non-ifr cable and boy do you wish you had ifr capabilities when you don’t have em

Last edited:
Back