Better Paying Survey Companies Hiring for the Summer

Hit up everyone and be ready to move wherever they want you to. 600TT doesn't buy you too much unfortunately, but you might luck out with a late season jump pilot gig as the rules open up more dropzones, but keep an eye out for Vexcel's openings when they get posted.

Edit: jump pilot gig instead of survey gig
I currently fly for Vexcel out of Frederick MD. I’m new to this forum, but can give info for people who want to know anything.

I currently fly for Vexcel out of Frederick MD. I’m new to this forum, but can give info for people who want to know anything.

Worth noting that they don't seem to have any pilot openings right now, so there are no job descriptions for us to work with. Field Operator positions are open, however (sensor op guy, right?)

Whatever you can tell us about the job, life doing it, the company....all of that is quite helpful.

What're the min req. currerntly? Do they prefer a CMEL or is CSEL enough?
As far as I know both sides of the company had previous pilots return, due to COVID putting a hurt on the airlines. As far as I know Vexcel as a whole is hiring, but in small numbers. I’ll explain more in another response. CMEL is minimum and the more multi time you have the better. CSEL isn’t a deal breaker, but they would prefer it so you can fly both the 206’s and Tecnams. 300TT and 25 hours multi would definitely get you looked at when they hire again.

Worth noting that they don't seem to have any pilot openings right now, so there are no job descriptions for us to work with. Field Operator positions are open, however (sensor op guy, right?)

Whatever you can tell us about the job, life doing it, the company....all of that is quite helpful.
Previously Vexcel was Verisk/Geomni. We were very much like Quantum in QOL. Now that Vexcel has acquired us, things have taken a turn. There are two sides of the company, PSM and “baseline”. PSM is private business conducted with specific customers for specific jobs. My group which consists of MD, SC and KS, are strictly PSM work now, previously did both. They made our group join Keystone Aerial survey. The Baseline side is for insurance, so they claim. Baseline planes are based all over and strictly flys Tecnams and 206’s. We have hubs for baseline in FL, TX, NM, CO and OR. Just my 2 cents, I would not fly for us regardless if it’s on the PSM side or Baseline. At home schedule aka basing out of the office is 8 hours a day mon-fri and on call on the weekends. If we don’t fly and the planes are clean we are expected to sit around the office til our 8 hours are done. Personally I am about ready to lose my mind sitting in the office doing nothing for days in a row. Road crews are under what we call FAPTO (Field accrued paid time off) rules. To sum it up, if you work 30 days straight on the road, you acrue 3-4 days paid time off. Pay is 35-45k a year, some benefits, and we do not have 401k anymore. Overall the company has gone downhill very fast.

Thank you for all the information, @Rusty. I knew someone that ended up there and figured things were improving, but that sounds pretty bad unless you're entry level and I probably shouldn't have included it along with the rest.

As far as I know both sides of the company had previous pilots return, due to COVID putting a hurt on the airlines. As far as I know Vexcel as a whole is hiring, but in small numbers. I’ll explain more in another response. CMEL is minimum and the more multi time you have the better. CSEL isn’t a deal breaker, but they would prefer it so you can fly both the 206’s and Tecnams. 300TT and 25 hours multi would definitely get you looked at when they hire again.

Awesome @Rusty , thanks for the info. I'm currently sitting at 430 tt. with a CSEL. Going to start my CMEL in the fall, will definitely send in my app to Vexcel upon completion.

Thank you for all the information, @Rusty. I knew someone that ended up there and figured things were improving, but that sounds pretty bad unless you're entry level and I probably shouldn't have included it along with the rest.
If you don’t have a flying job, or don’t have a family, or don’t have things to do while at home, then it’s the job for you. But if you want time at home, stay away.

Awesome @Rusty , thanks for the info. I'm currently sitting at 430 tt. with a CSEL. Going to start my CMEL in the fall, will definitely send in my app to Vexcel upon completion.
Def get as many multi hours as you can. Vexcel doesn’t have a current contract, so if you don’t like the job, you can leave. Just know you will spend lots of time not flying and not being able to go home while not flying.

Any idea what mins are for Vexcel? I got laid off from my regular job so hoping to use this as the push into full time flying.
Pretty much bare bones as far as mins. 300TT and 25 multi is about all you need. This was pre COVID, so this may change due to an abundance of applicants

Anyone have any current info on Quantum? Looking to leave Vexcel for just about any other job. 1,000TT, 450 multi, lots of pa-31 time.

Anyone have any current info on Quantum? Looking to leave Vexcel for just about any other job. 1,000TT, 450 multi, lots of pa-31 time.
thats some sweet multi time. We fly the pa31 at our school, and I’m going to get some aerial survey *experience in a single in a few weeks. Would somebody with this kind of exp (about 100 multi and 700TT) be eligible in the past (Pre COVID) to go straight into the multi in the company?

*as an operator, not a pilot

thats some sweet multi time. We fly the pa31 at our school, and I’m going to get some aerial survey *experience in a single in a few weeks. Would somebody with this kind of exp (about 100 multi and 700TT) be eligible in the past (Pre COVID) to go straight into the multi in the company?

I used to work for QSI and loved having pilots that could potentially be safety pilots and I helped one aspiring pilot build time on cross countries. Write it in your cover letter that you'd like to work as an operator until you can get hired on as a pilot and it will be a very big positive.

You can also try Fugro too. I know a lot of older survey companies would often pay for their operators to get their private as it was considered beneficial to have someone be able to fly the plane in the event of a medical emergency, but I don't think that was anything companies were doing the last decade, just at some point before that.

Our company will gladly hire operators regardless of qualifications. They literally hire anyone. I know for sure our hub in MD is hiring operators. But you would have to live in MD.

Our company will gladly hire operators regardless of qualifications. They literally hire anyone. I know for sure our hub in MD is hiring operators. But you would have to live in MD.
And yes, 100 multi will get you right to the top of the hiring

Other than Skylens and Optic-Air, has anyone heard of any of the other survey outfits opening the application window for the upcoming season? I just found out today that my current employer is closing down effective immediately due to COVID hurting our income, so Im out of work and looking for something immediately.

If anyone needs a pilot at short notice, my camper is packed and Im willing to travel anywhere in the US!

Other than Skylens and Optic-Air, has anyone heard of any of the other survey outfits opening the application window for the upcoming season? I just found out today that my current employer is closing down effective immediately due to COVID hurting our income, so Im out of work and looking for something immediately.

If anyone needs a pilot at short notice, my camper is packed and Im willing to travel anywhere in the US!
Eagleview is hiring directly pilots.

We at Surdex are looking for people again. Yes we are dysfunctional place to work, with a Chief pilot who burns up Engines because he is unable to read an ITT and Oil pressure gauge. But at the end of the day you are able to come in with low time and in two years leave with twin Turbo Prop time.

Back