Better Paying Survey Companies Hiring for the Summer

Fugro's got two openings on their web page and they are commutable and that's within their revised bare minimums. When I was there it was a 20/10 and they'd fly you to/from wherever the plane was and they're currently hiring. Aspen will hire at 500 hours as well and are commutable and last I talked to their CP a few days ago he said he'd be open to talking to anyone interested, but I'm not sure what that means as far as how readily they need anyone or if he expects some openings.

Quantum is still pretty firm on the 1000TT, but that might change.

Keystone's probably always hiring, but I wouldn't recommend it for the QoL and the amount of hours you'd fly. I'm not sure if the contract pilots they'll hire from anywhere, but I know on the full-time positions they want you in Philly and hanging out to do other chores when their's no flying to be done. They're not too bad though as entry level under some circumstances and I'm sure there are some details that I'm overlooking one way or another. If you could get on contract and just be left out in the field for several months that might open some doors for you to a better gig as long as they don't want too much of a commitment and expect you to move to Philly as well.

So I’m about to reach 500 hours, however don’t have my multi. Is Fugro or Aspen a possibility not having any multi hours? I saw on their job minimums that’s needed, but wondering if they bend the rules or have single engine planes

So I’m about to reach 500 hours, however don’t have my multi. Is Fugro or Aspen a possibility not having any multi hours? I saw on their job minimums that’s needed, but wondering if they bend the rules or have single engine planes

As far as I'm aware both companies only have multi engine aircraft unless things have changed recently. You might get on with Aspen with a fresh multi addon, but with this slow down a lot of people are going to be holding onto their survey jobs longer than they normally would. Your best bet would be Aperture Aviation (206s), a Picto vendor or possibly Vexcel which should have some single engine aircraft through their merger, as they acquired Keystone which will probably still be hiring through their website if my information is correct.

As far as I'm aware both companies only have multi engine aircraft unless things have changed recently. You might get on with Aspen with a fresh multi addon, but with this slow down a lot of people are going to be holding onto their survey jobs longer than they normally would. Your best bet would be Aperture Aviation (206s), a Picto vendor or possibly Vexcel which should have some single engine aircraft through their merger, as they acquired Keystone which will probably still be hiring through their website if my information is correct.

Ok got it. Ya I actually have a friend at Aperture and they’re not flying at the moment. Appreciate the info!

Word is Vexcel is looking for pilots as soon as this Corona stuff dies down. They bought up a lot of survey companies and meant to hire in April, but that's been pushed back so keep looking out. I expect them to post them here Careers at Vexcel Imaging

Woolpert seems to be great folks with 404s, 406s and a King Air. They're looking for a few pilots, but the Corona's derailed some things so I'm not sure when they'll be hiring though keep an eye on them. I think they pay pretty fairly as I understand it and seem really laid back and nice. They are currently aiming for a 20/10, but are flexible at times and willing to work around things.

Word is Vexcel is looking for pilots as soon as this Corona stuff dies down. They bought up a lot of survey companies and meant to hire in April, but that's been pushed back so keep looking out. I expect them to post them here Careers at Vexcel Imaging

Woolpert seems to be great folks with 404s, 406s and a King Air. They're looking for a few pilots, but the Corona's derailed some things so I'm not sure when they'll be hiring though keep an eye on them. I think they pay pretty fairly as I understand it and seem really laid back and nice. They are currently aiming for a 20/10, but are flexible at times and willing to work around things.

Any idea what mins are for Vexcel? I got laid off from my regular job so hoping to use this as the push into full time flying.

Any idea what mins are for Vexcel? I got laid off from my regular job so hoping to use this as the push into full time flying.

No idea as it's a new company, but you might be able to speculate at what some of the companies it acquired were hiring with as I believe Geomni was one.

Good Call on Woolpert, they just posted pilot positions today! They want 1000TT with 500 multi if anyone is interested.

The Schedule is Wednesday to Wednesday, 15 days on and rest day starts Thursday to Tuesday 6 days off. But on Monday you need to start paying attention to figure out where you are heading. The Conquest pilots live on the road all year around with sometimes with slow periods between jobs.
15 on
6 off

I just realized that I'm pretty sure we've met....at a flight school at JYO? Real early some mornings? You were doing some ATP training?

Good Call on Woolpert, they just posted pilot positions today! They want 1000TT with 500 multi if anyone is interested.

I'd apply sooner than later. I was hoping to get on with them myself as they're able to go beyond 30 degrees in the banks on their turns which sounded really fun. I had been playing email tag with their recruiter (if you have the time and survey experience I can share her email via PM) since early March as the coronavirus stuff derailed their hiring, but got a chance to talk to Dave and Jonas who both seemed great like 10 days ago and they were hoping to start doing ride alongs and hiring in the near future.

I took another offer in the mean time, but it seems like they stress pilots that can communicate where they work and what they're doing to ATC. It's a 20/10 what they aim for with a good bit of flexibility if you want more or less time at times, but they've got one 406 they staff with 2 pilot crews that's 2 and 2, sometimes they get Caribbean work and honestly it sounded awesome as I believe the 404 is relatively new for a light twin and only has two fuel tanks so you're not constantly adjusting them in flight.

I'd apply sooner than later. I was hoping to get on with them myself as they're able to go beyond 30 degrees in the banks on their turns which sounded really fun. I had been playing email tag with their recruiter (if you have the time and survey experience I can share her email via PM) since early March as the coronavirus stuff derailed their hiring, but got a chance to talk to Dave and Jonas who both seemed great like 10 days ago and they were hoping to start doing ride alongs and hiring in the near future.

I took another offer in the mean time, but it seems like they stress pilots that can communicate where they work and what they're doing to ATC. It's a 20/10 what they aim for with a good bit of flexibility if you want more or less time at times, but they've got one 406 they staff with 2 pilot crews that's 2 and 2, sometimes they get Caribbean work and honestly it sounded awesome as I believe the 404 is relatively new for a light twin and only has two fuel tanks so you're not constantly adjusting them in flight.

Unfortunatly Im quite short on experience, only 360TT and a wet multi, nowhere near what they ask for. Its a shame as they are based in the same city I live in. When you talked with the recruiter did they give any indication on how flexible they were on hours?

Unfortunatly Im quite short on experience, only 360TT and a wet multi, nowhere near what they ask for. Its a shame as they are based in the same city I live in. When you talked with the recruiter did they give any indication on how flexible they were on hours?

Probably not too much aside from maybe being right seat on that 406 that does a 2 man crew. That said you can always start hitting up the picto companies as they may have some summer openings with all the coronavirus stuff derailing their spring business and a season with them will open a lot up.

Maybe Vexcel may be hiring for some of their fleet as they have some smaller pistons and I think Geomni would hire close to there. If you're light they have those Tecnam Twins and if you don't weigh much I think they'd happily fit you in one when they post the job listings soon.

Also if anyone low-time's interested in working as a sensor operator I think a lot of companies would like and respect that and promote you to pilot potentially sooner than you'd hit their normal mins.

I'm no longer at QSI, but I know myself and others would have loved to have a safety pilot now and then on cross countries and to shoot approaches and I was happy to put down dual given on CCs and let the operator hop in the right seat and fly a good bit. I think one rotation I had a pilot working on his ratings and I was able to give him around 20 hours of CC. I might be able to put some folks in touch with QSI and some other companies. With QSI they generally want their operators on the west coast, mainly Oregon, but might be willing to make an exception and the east coast operators can normally base wherever they just don't fly as much.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested and I'll see who I can put you in touch with.

I might be able to put some folks in touch with QSI and some other companies. With QSI they generally want their operators on the west coast, mainly Oregon, but might be willing to make an exception and the east coast operators can normally base wherever they just don't fly as much.

Hey srn121, you have any info on QSI's ANC base? Schedule, how many crews they have, etc... thanks.

Hey srn121, you have any info on QSI's ANC base? Schedule, how many crews they have, etc... thanks.

The ANC base went away as anyone can commute from anywhere and we even had a pilot commuting from ANC for an east coast gig in the Navajo. There's still an office there and periodically you might see a 208 or Navajo parked beside it. If you're ANC based I believe there's also another survey outfit at Merrill with Turbine Commanders that does Marine Mammal surveys and many other kinds of jobs. I can't think of the name off the top of my head, but a little googling detective work might bring it up. EDIT: Clearwater Air Fleet/Equip

It's 16/12 or 23/12 for the east last I remember it. They hired quite a bit lately, but might have an opening here or there.

Ive been struggling to find adequate summer work for someone sitting at 600 TT with prior experience. Post COVID is going to be a tough time.

Ive been struggling to find adequate summer work for someone sitting at 600 TT with prior experience. Post COVID is going to be a tough time.

Hit up everyone and be ready to move wherever they want you to. 600TT doesn't buy you too much unfortunately, but you might luck out with a late season jump pilot gig as the rules open up more dropzones, but keep an eye out for Vexcel's openings when they get posted.

Edit: jump pilot gig instead of survey gig

Last edited:
Back