Becoming an Airline Pilot without a College Degree

If I told you you wouldn’t believe me. I’ve certainly had a number of unique jobs haha.

Male gigolo? :D

Whatever it is, on a 'net cost' basis for ages 19-22, I'm out $140k and then at 22 start at 55k. You are ahead by 140k for not having spent that in the first place, plus the 60k at age 19-22 is 4 years = 240k. That's up by 380k over the same time, not including future opportunity costs for not having a degree. Unless your goal is Delta, Fedex, or Alaska, you still have a shot at all the other airlines. Don't count yourself out.

Male gigolo? :D

Whatever it is, on a 'net cost' basis for ages 19-22, I'm out $140k and then at 22 start at 55k. You are ahead by 140k for not having spent that in the first place, plus the 60k at age 19-22 is 4 years = 240k. That's up by 380k over the same time, not including future opportunity costs for not having a degree. Unless your goal is Delta, Fedex, or Alaska, you still have a shot at all the other airlines. Don't count yourself out.

Haha no not quite.

That all sounds good in theory but give a 19 year old kid $1000 /week and see what he does with it. I still look back and say to myself, “what in the actual hell did I spend all that money on!?” I did buy a lot of art at the time. So that was cool. Mostly traditional Americana pieces.

youre-going-to-have-a-bad-time.png

Haha no not quite.

That all sounds good in theory but give a 19 year old kid $1000 /week and see what he does with it. I still look back and say to myself, “what in the actual hell did I spend all that money on!?” I did buy a lot of art at the time. So that was cool. Mostly traditional Americana pieces.

Playboy?

I think it is weird how many people downplay going to college nowadays. Yes there are those people who pay entirely too much to study underwater basketweaving and have a hard time finding a job afterwards. Yes there are those who don't go to college and are successful anyway. These two groups are outliers and assuming you will be either is doing yourself a disservice.

No matter what industry you are interested in, showing you have the ability to knock out four years of school from an accredited institution says something. I doesn't mean you'll be a better candidate than someone who didn't go to college, but it is a quantifiable accomplishment that the recruiting team can see. I takes the words "hard worker" from your cover letter and assigns a value to it.

I think one of the best things about college is that it is your chance to find an interest of yours and immerse yourself in it. High school sucked because one of it's primary roles is to expose you to a lot of different things. There is some of that in college, but for the most part you have a choice on what you want to study. Whether you want to learn to fly airplanes, have always liked photography, or are a history buff, there are classes you can take to learn more about those subjects. Provided you don't completely through caution to the wind and study something that doesn't have any real job prospects, this is your chance to pick what you want to do for the rest of your life. Look at all the people in the world that hate what they do for a living. This is your chance to not be that person.

To that end, if I was in your situation I'd transfer to a state school with an aviation program. You'll get the degree and it will be a lot easier because you'll be studying something you actually are interested in. There are a lot of aviation programs that are needlessly expensive, but many of the state universities will have you paying normal tuition rates for your classes and the flying is only slightly more expensive.

People like to crap on aviation degrees here, and while I don't think they're necessary to work in the industry, you'll have to work pretty hard to convince me that studying a subject for four years won't make you better at it.

I think it is weird how many people downplay going to college nowadays. Yes there are those people who pay entirely too much to study underwater basketweaving and have a hard time finding a job afterwards. Yes there are those who don't go to college and are successful anyway. These two groups are outliers and assuming you will be either is doing yourself a disservice.

No matter what industry you are interested in, showing you have the ability to knock out four years of school from an accredited institution says something. I doesn't mean you'll be a better candidate than someone who didn't go to college, but it is a quantifiable accomplishment that the recruiting team can see. I takes the words "hard worker" from your cover letter and assigns a value to it.

I think one of the best things about college is that it is your chance to find an interest of yours and immerse yourself in it. High school sucked because one of it's primary roles is to expose you to a lot of different things. There is some of that in college, but for the most part you have a choice on what you want to study. Whether you want to learn to fly airplanes, have always liked photography, or are a history buff, there are classes you can take to learn more about those subjects. Provided you don't completely through caution to the wind and study something that doesn't have any real job prospects, this is your chance to pick what you want to do for the rest of your life. Look at all the people in the world that hate what they do for a living. This is your chance to not be that person.

To that end, if I was in your situation I'd transfer to a state school with an aviation program. You'll get the degree and it will be a lot easier because you'll be studying something you actually are interested in. There are a lot of aviation programs that are needlessly expensive, but many of the state universities will have you paying normal tuition rates for your classes and the flying is only slightly more expensive.

People like to crap on aviation degrees here, and while I don't think they're necessary to work in the industry, you'll have to work pretty hard to convince me that studying a subject for four years won't make you better at it.
I say this as a lazy sack of crap that hasn't made any headway on a degree despite not really having an excuse.

Even studying a little bit on my own makes me realize the value of higher education. Definitely opened my mind up and gave me the ability to view things with different perspectives and look at things a little more critically and analyze them. Kind of a cool feeling.

I'm sure it's been said a thousand times, but seniority is everything too. Despite not taking my own advice, doing what you can to get to a major as soon as you can will benefit you in the long run. If things go south it's far better to be a few hundred or a few thousand numbers above the bottom if they ever have to start furloughing. A few months or a year can make all the difference.

I say this as a lazy sack of crap that hasn't made any headway on a degree despite not really having an excuse.

Even studying a little bit on my own makes me realize the value of higher education. Definitely opened my mind up and gave me the ability to view things with different perspectives and look at things a little more critically and analyze them. Kind of a cool feeling.

I'm sure it's been said a thousand times, but seniority is everything too. Despite not taking my own advice, doing what you can to get to a major as soon as you can will benefit you in the long run. If things go south it's far better to be a few hundred or a few thousand numbers above the bottom if they ever have to start furloughing. A few months or a year can make all the difference.

I wish I had the perspective I have now back when I was in college. At the time I was mostly about just getting it done as quickly as I could. Now I see the value of things like showing up to class and doing homework sometime earlier than the night it was due.

On your other point, at my last place I was hired the day before a contract was signed. Because of this I got a (small) signing bonus and I was furlough protected. Missed being laid off by 7 people. Timing is important.

When people don't go to college, Donald Trump gets elected President Of The United States of America.

I think that's reason enough to push people in the direction of college.
Ummmm, what about the untold thousands of people flabbergasted on how Hillary won the majority of votes, but still didn't win.

What education do you suggest for them?

Ummmm, what about the untold thousands of people flabbergasted on how Hillary won the majority of votes, but still didn't win.

What education do you suggest for them?

Learn the electoral college?

10 states in the United States have 50% of the population of the United States. We're a republic, not a democracy. Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep deciding what's for dinner.

Back