Becoming an Airline Pilot without a College Degree

It's amazing that played out pretty much as you called it, including the response to that fact that somebody thinks an opinion piece that says somebody won't change their mind, won't change their mind.

So you don't see any irony in posting the opinion piece about changing one's mind as opposed to making an attempt to put together a coherent argument?

I guess I should go ahead and say that I kinda figured this end with people who disagree with me using petty terms and bickering, rather than having a substantive discussion.

Good luck to you, old fart! :)

So you don't see any irony in posting the opinion piece about changing one's mind as opposed to making an attempt to put together a coherent argument?

I guess I should go ahead and say that I kinda figured this end with people who disagree with me using petty terms and bickering, rather than having a substantive discussion.

Good luck to you, old fart! :)

The piece was used describe a recently published study on the issue being discussed. I figured you wouldn't read the full study.

You'd know that if you had read it.

The piece was used describe a recently published study on the issue being discussed. I figured you wouldn't read the full study.

You'd know that if you had read it.

I did read it. It was a study about confirmation bias. Instead of presenting reasons for what you belief, you accused me of being unable to overcome what I was taught in my formative days. I'm really sorry that you aren't able to see how ridiculous that is.

The other piece was about highly educated people being more liberal. I had previously explicitly said that was not what I was arguing about. I'm sure that study has validity, if anything it could reinforce my argument, but it wasn't anything determinative. If you were just posting it because it was interesting, great, but don't accuse me of being someone who can't get past their own agenda when the only agenda I have here is a constructive argument. I think there may be some confusion if you skipped over stuff that was said. To make it clear again, I never made any claims about whether highly educated people are more liberal. My point was that higher education institutions are more progressive than society in general, and that this is, or at least should be, common knowledge.

I honestly have no idea why you think I am suffering from confirmation bias.

I did read it. It was a study about confirmation bias. Instead of presenting reasons for what you belief, you accused me of being unable to overcome what I was taught in my formative days. I'm really sorry that you aren't able to see how ridiculous that is.

The other piece was about highly educated people being more liberal. I had previously explicitly said that was not what I was arguing about. I'm sure that study has validity, if anything it could reinforce my argument, but it wasn't anything determinative. If you were just posting it because it was interesting, great, but don't accuse me of being someone who can't get past their own agenda when the only agenda I have here is a constructive argument. I think there may be some confusion if you skipped over stuff that was said. To make it clear again, I never made any claims about whether highly educated people are more liberal. My point was that higher education institutions are more progressive than society in general, and that this is, or at least should be, common knowledge.

I honestly have no idea why you think I am suffering from confirmation bias.

See what I was talking about @PhilosopherPilot ?

History degrees or bust

I have mad respect for history degrees. Even more for art degrees.

It takes guts and determination to commit to the expense of learning that material without the job prospects afforded to STEM majors. I'm not being facetious at all. Electing to learn a field because you're passionate about the field rather than because you think it will get you monetary gain is a noble pursuit even if it's somewhat misguided in today's job market.

It takes guts and determination to commit to the expense of learning that material without the job prospects afforded to STEM majors. I'm not being facetious at all. Electing to learn a field because you're passionate about the field rather than because you think it will get you monetary gain is a noble pursuit even if it's somewhat misguided in today's job market.
I was a history major and English minor. All I know is how to read lots of books and write papers! But I loved it.

I was a history major and English minor. All I know is how to read lots of books and write papers! But I loved it.

You'd be amazed at how useful that is.

Technical writing is the most important class I ever took in college.

Learning how to think is one of the most important things to accomplish in college. Unless you want to get a specific job that requires specific training, I would highly recommend a degree in something that teaches someone to think versus vocational training.

If you learn how to reason and how to learn, you’re far more valuable as an employee than someone specifically trained to do a task or job.

I’m not sure why people think this is controversial.

how to reason and how to learn, you’re far more valuable as an employee than someone specifically trained to do a task or job.
My take is for new hires, HR is looking for your measurable hard skills!

Then as you move up within your avocation, reasoning and your demonstrated learned new skills come into play for retention and advancement.

I think the controversy might have something to do with people who either go to college for no other reason than to drink and goof around for a few years and hopefully get a degree. Also, as @ppragman says, it is a noble thing to go for a degree in something that is important to you even if it won't make you the most more. I suppose somewhere there has to be a line between that and just picking what you think would be the easiest or most fun because "everybody needs to go to college." Shoot, I might go back to more school even having a good job and a degree, just to study subjects that I really enjoy, but will probably not use outside of hobbies.

My take is for new hires, HR is looking for your measurable hard skills!

Then as you move up within your avocation, reasoning and your demonstrated learned new skills come into play for retention and advancement.

Not necessarily. It depends on the position.

Back