Based on the picture do you think the pilots...

Based on the picture do you think the pilots...

• Are waiting for a taxi to get the heck out of town.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Should be sending out resumes.

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Enjoy landing in the grass as much as the next guy.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • Are saying any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • Used their heads and did a good job minimizing damage.

Votes: 28 38.9%

• Total voters
I'm betting that as a reporter misunderstanding what he was told. If that plane doesn't have brakes, it likely doesn't have nose steering either (and reverse/differential power are...minimally effective).
Reverse is minimally effective on a turboprop? Huh? What did they do to neuter it?

Mine has a view poll option at the top on tapatalk for the iPhone
Hmm. Not mine. :(
vube9u4y.jpg

Not speaking from experience, or knowledge, but wouldn't the grass reduce damage to this particular aircraft? That concrete CAN'T be good for landing gear.

I doubt it. We had an RJ go into the EMAS a few years back. They used a tow truck to pull it out, had some mechanics inspect it and then flew it back to a MX base with the gear pinned down. In the end they replaced all three gear struts and tire assemblies, but there was very little damage in general.

Reverse is minimally effective on a turboprop? Huh? What did they do to neuter it?
With the props so close to the rudder, anything more than shallow beta (maybe a quarter inch past the gate on the levers) and it washes out the rudder. It starts slapping back and forth and you get one hellofan eye opening ride. It's a mistake you only need to make once.

Not speaking from experience, or knowledge, but wouldn't the grass reduce damage to this particular aircraft? That concrete CAN'T be good for landing gear.
After you mentioned the EMAS, I figured there was some consideration for the low-sitting nose and canards of the P.180.

Nahh, no such limitations or even suggestions in the books for that. The forward wing is a lot higher off the ground than you might think. Not to mention, that's the whole point of EMAS. Voluntarily putting a fast moving plane into grass that isn't designed to be, or manicured as, a runway is a pretty big gamble with both your life and your career. Just look at the pictures of the Pistachio off the runway in FNT to see what I mean...

I doubt it. We had an RJ go into the EMAS a few years back. They used a tow truck to pull it out, had some mechanics inspect it and then flew it back to a MX base with the gear pinned down. In the end they replaced all three gear struts and tire assemblies, but there was very little damage in general.

You just made "needed 3 new landing gear assemblies" sound like "that'll buff right out". :D

Back