Barcelona, Milan, or Rome?

I think, if you've never been before you should go to Rome.

Barcelona is cool, but that's probably because I just love Spain so much. Honestly, though I prefer the smaller Spanish cities. Such a different vibe that I'll keep going back to Seville but Barcelona can be a one and done trip.

Milan is pretty cool, I've been a few times. Great food and great bars. The people are decently friendly, and it's pretty fun. The Duomo is incredible, and don't skip the tour of the roof. Really rich history and just some great views.

But Rome...If you haven't been you need to go. The Vatican museum and St. Peter's Cathedral, either alone would make the trip worth it. And while you're there, don't skip on that. Plus the food is amazing, but you got to dig for it. Lots of tourist traps (which could be said about all those cities).

Against all manner of common sense, I’m transitioning to the left seat on the guppy.

”I’m on reserve and have to chose between Ontario, CA or OKC”
giphy.gif

I love Barcelona. Haven’t been to Milan. Didn’t care that much for Rome.

Rome is a bit unsettling. There’s so many places that you want to see but the city is poorly equipped to get you there. It’s just tiring and the locals aren’t especially warm and friendly. It’s dirty and smelly and running out of space for graffiti. You can spend a week in Rome and not feel connected to anything. That said, I have Catholic friends that love Rome for reasons of which I have no interest

On the other hand, I found Barcelona to be charming. I loved the locals as they seemed to like sharing their city with visitors. You can spend a few days in Barcelona and feel like you “get” Barcelona.

It could be that it just takes more time and effort to fall in love with Rome. Maybe a month’s stay and the guidance of new Roman friends.

If you talk about a week in Rome, you’re likely to recite a list of interesting places you visited. If you visit Barcelona, you are more likely to describe it in more cultural or emotional terms.
I guess the one thing I’ll add to this about Rome is that it can be difficult to see everything. But that’s something really incredible. There’s so much to see. More than that, while their subway is atrocious and goes almost no where you can buy a bus ticket anywhere. Good for 24 hours and the busses hit everywhere not covered by subway.

I guess the one thing I’ll add to this about Rome is that it can be difficult to see everything. But that’s something really incredible. There’s so much to see. More than that, while their subway is atrocious and goes almost no where you can buy a bus ticket anywhere. Good for 24 hours and the busses hit everywhere not covered by subway.

Like many places, needed more time, more money, and a few local friends.

And apparently, I needed to take more buses.

ah ok
point of order, LOSA is run by the company and the association approves of it because it’s safety related, it’s not an ALPA program
We’re at the same shop, right?

This might be splitting hairs, but ALPA has a LOSA manager under the CASC committee and all LOSA observers are compensated with FPL dollars. I’m certainly no expert but from the cheap seats it appears to be ALPA run. I also do quality assurance for LOSA and help manage the monthly data roundtables with standards and training and it at least appears to be ALPA run there.

I’d guess decisions made with the data are company run but I don’t have much insight to that part of the program. And I do know the company pays for the company who provides the training, the data platform, and the end-level data products… they are definitely footing the bill there. But the program, from the ground level at least, appears like a joint venture?

We’re at the same shop, right?

This might be splitting hairs, but ALPA has a LOSA manager under the CASC committee and all LOSA observers are compensated with FPL dollars. I’m certainly no expert but from the cheap seats it appears to be ALPA run. I also do quality assurance for LOSA and help manage the monthly data roundtables with standards and training and it at least appears to be ALPA run there.

I’d guess decisions made with the data are company run but I don’t have much insight to that part of the program. And I do know the company pays for the company who provides the training, the data platform, and the end-level data products… they are definitely footing the bill there. But the program, from the ground level at least, appears like a joint venture?
LOSA is typically a joint operation between the Union, Company, and FAA which is all part of a mandated SMS program.

You gonna bid HNL? Only way you’re getting something other than a 737.

Gonna be pretty funny when they bring the 717 back to the mainland. "Hey, the compass doesn't have "030-130" or "210-320"....is that on a CDL?"

"Don't worry, you won't need those headings. Just put Orange County on the nose"

Can’t wait for the sequel threads coming up…”I have to chose between Ontario, CA or OKC”

In ONT the mall is right behind the hotel and it has an awesome AM/PM in the parking lot.

OKC, we got the Sonic a 1/2 block away. Sure, you gotta eat outdoors - but where are you gonna get a better hot dog, grilled cheese, and malt right before a pink-eye back to base.

In ONT the mall is right behind the hotel and it has an awesome AM/PM in the parking lot.

OKC, we got the Sonic a 1/2 block away. Sure, you gotta eat outdoors - but where are you gonna get a better hot dog, grilled cheese, and malt right before a pink-eye back to base.

This made me happy. We don't have to be so fancy all the time. I can appreciate a good AM/PM in walking distance on a layover, or dare I say, a WaWa (no I'm not equating the two you east coast people out there)

Hell, our AUS short layover hotel has a subway walking distance, and a convenience store/gas station. Not at all too proud to get a 12 inch and an adult beverage and walk back, as long as it is still legal. Though I think a foot long is always legal :)

This made me happy. We don't have to be so fancy all the time. I can appreciate a good AM/PM in walking distance on a layover, or dare I say, a WaWa (no I'm not equating the two you east coast people out there)

Hell, our AUS short layover hotel has a subway walking distance, and a convenience store/gas station. Not at all too proud to get a 12 inch and an adult beverage and walk back, as long as it is still legal. Though I think a foot long is always legal :)
I theorize that making the best of things goes a long way in this career and in life, whether it’s appreciating a corner store sammich and beer on a short layover or killing long call reserve time getting lost on a bicycle. The number of guys (even relatively new hires so they haven’t had time to get jaded yet) who will sit around the crashpad on their computer or watching TV when it’s 65 and sunny in SF is kinda baffling.

Back