ATI, Ready to Strike...Pants Optional

So much of the clothing aimed at the business casual/pilot uniformy market is just such • quality. Plastic blends that aren’t warm, don’t wick moisture, just feel icky, send more microplastics into the water cycle every time you wash them…

Of course I’m sure we’re our own worst enemies to a degree on this “I ain’t spending $100 on a pair of pants I’m gonna spend 1/4 of my life wearing, that’s robbery!”

Surely it’s possible to get a wool blend or something that has an R-value >0, wicks away sweat in the summer, and doesn’t come apart if you bend over to find the pen you dropped by the rudder pedals
What's an R-Value

So much of the clothing aimed at the business casual/pilot uniformy market is just such • quality. Plastic blends that aren’t warm, don’t wick moisture, just feel icky, send more microplastics into the water cycle every time you wash them…

Of course I’m sure we’re our own worst enemies to a degree on this “I ain’t spending $100 on a pair of pants I’m gonna spend 1/4 of my life wearing, that’s robbery!”

Surely it’s possible to get a wool blend or something that has an R-value >0, wicks away sweat in the summer, and doesn’t come apart if you bend over to find the pen you dropped by the rudder pedals

There’s someone working in a telemarketing call center like Glengarry Highlands making shady real estate deals that has a dress code.

But six figure airline pilots being expected to follow a dress code and be presentable? OH NO THE GIANT WALRUS! :)

The form-over-function people, that is, the ones who are more concerned with how things appear than how they are, are responsible for a great deal of problems in this world.

Why does a tucked-in uniform shirt and no visible tattoos matter? Because Juan Trippe had a hard-on for naval uniforms 100 years ago? Please. We should be wearing flight suits realistically or other practical clothing, but many of us live in a world where we think that "how things appear" is "how they are."

The confusion between "oooh pretty" and "effective and functional" is why the taller politician tends to win. It's the "halo effect" and it's not a valid heuristic but it's here to stay.

Should just be able to wear a hoodie with your airline’s logo on it and shorts with sneakers. Good enough for congress should be good enough for aerial bus drivers.

:)

Should just be able to wear a hoodie with your airline’s logo on it and shorts with sneakers. Good enough for congress should be good enough for aerial bus drivers.

:)

I unironically agree with this.

People need to lighten up about how things "appear" and concern themselves with how they "are." Your honor the prosecution would like to submit "George Santos" as evidence of form mattering less than function as evidence.

People need to lighten up about how things "appear" and concern themselves with how they "are." Your honor the prosecution would like to submit "George Santos" as evidence of form mattering less than function as evidence.

Santos landed on the moon in the secret Apollo 19. :)

No, we should not be wearing flight suits. Pooping in an airplane lav is hard enough as it is.
This is a solved-problem.

1701477735800.png

I mean, I'm not saying I'm agreeing with it. But I think that is how it is for the general public. They have unimaginable nerves and fears involving flying. Which is probably reasonable, but not for the reasons that they have

Back