ATI, Ready to Strike...Pants Optional

On that note, here is my one complaint.

As a bigger guy, buying a uniform shirt and pants is tough. It is the year 2023 and we haven't built a shirt that fits well on a bigger guy with a long torso. My shirt fits like crap and comes untucked all the time. I try to keep a decent appearance. But it's really really tough with the uniforms that are made these days.

At least surgeons get scrubs and a long jacket.
The form-over-function people, that is, the ones who are more concerned with how things appear than how they are, are responsible for a great deal of problems in this world.

Why does a tucked-in uniform shirt and no visible tattoos matter? Because Juan Trippe had a hard-on for naval uniforms 100 years ago? Please. We should be wearing flight suits realistically or other practical clothing, but many of us live in a world where we think that "how things appear" is "how they are."

The confusion between "oooh pretty" and "effective and functional" is why the taller politician tends to win. It's the "halo effect" and it's not a valid heuristic but it's here to stay.

As a bigger guy, buying a uniform shirt and pants is tough. It is the year 2023 and we haven't built a shirt that fits well on a bigger guy with a long torso. My shirt fits like crap and comes untucked all the time. I try to keep a decent appearance. But it's really really tough with the uniforms that are made these days.

Probably something you've tried before but I go to a tailor with my shirts. She usually charges about $20 to make a shirt fit just right.

Probably something you've tried before but I go to a tailor with my shirts. She usually charges about $20 to make a shirt fit just right.
I might end up doing that. I also can't remember if I ordered the tall version of the shirts with wings embroidered on.

No, we should not be wearing flight suits. Pooping in an airplane lav is hard enough as it is.
fair, flight suits are hard to poop in. then pants with decent hip pockets that are made of something that isn't ruined on a thorough walkaround.

the uniform of the maytag man or a 1930s ship's burser isn't exactly great

pilots need to first start with getting rid of the complete fashion faux pas of wearing a tie with a short sleeve shirt. Let’s start there as the baseline building block. :)
right, it doesn't even "look good" - like, I hated wearing a uniform to fly a caravan and a 1900, I looked like a f-ing bellhop, and what are the stupid epaulettes for? I was single pilot, it's not like we're going to have a hard time identifying who's responsible for the flight...

Agreed, unless with a coat. So short sleeve and no tie should suffice :)
Nice and utilitarian jacket with extra pockets, t-shirt or longsleeve shirt (take your pick) with the company logo, a badge (which you need anyway), and a beard if you want, but only after you upgrade to captain. Ripstop pants or something similar with side pockets, company baseball caps are optional but provided, and beanies in the winter.

I can see maybe, maybe sprucing things up a bit for the passenger people, but... for the ACMI guys? That should be a t-shirt and jeans job. I get people wearing pilot style uniforms in other parts of the world... but I don't think a company uniform should be based around what hypothetical preconceptions a random chinese border inspector has.

pilots need to first start with getting rid of the complete fashion faux pas of wearing a tie with a short sleeve shirt. Let’s start there as the baseline building block. :)

It is the dumbest looking combination ever. If I walked into my financial advisor and, well, it’s a she, but if it was some guy with short sleeves and a tie, I’d question his decision-making ability! Ha!

As a bigger guy, buying a uniform shirt and pants is tough. It is the year 2023 and we haven't built a shirt that fits well on a bigger guy with a long torso. My shirt fits like crap and comes untucked all the time.

and very handsome might I add

Agreed, unless with a coat. So short sleeve and no tie should suffice :)

Peak uniform. Spill coffee on the grey shirt, no problemo!

1701386071244.png

It is the dumbest looking combination ever. If I walked into my financial advisor and, well, it’s a she, but if it was some guy with short sleeves and a tie, I’d question his decision-making ability! Ha!
This is why I actually prefer the blazer, except that commuting with it is a PITA

Oh dude, don't get me wrong. I hate wearing this uniform. Or any uniform. There is a reason I always commute to and from the airport in fully civilian clothes (no wearing a sweater over my pilot uniform tricks for me). The uniforms never look great unless you are a jacked but kinda featherweight dude. But they are still, when worn correctly, the image that people expect, which in their passenger brains, equates to safety. Your crowd and my own (just basic dad bod) are not the people I'm s***ting on here.

So much of the clothing aimed at the business casual/pilot uniformy market is just such • quality. Plastic blends that aren’t warm, don’t wick moisture, just feel icky, send more microplastics into the water cycle every time you wash them…

Of course I’m sure we’re our own worst enemies to a degree on this “I ain’t spending $100 on a pair of pants I’m gonna spend 1/4 of my life wearing, that’s robbery!”

Surely it’s possible to get a wool blend or something that has an R-value >0, wicks away sweat in the summer, and doesn’t come apart if you bend over to find the pen you dropped by the rudder pedals

Back