ASES - done! (a bit long)

I tried the supercub but Kenmore were beating me up on precision flying. Got most of the way there then finished it in N FL in a husky

You are probably beating yourself up more than you wrote about the checkride bust. Which is natural. But when you look back on it in 4 or 5 or 20 years, you'll realize it is the reason we have checkrides. I learned more from the one I busted than I did from the six I've passed combined.

But, also jealous. As I live around the corner, I need to find a few days to go out there as well.

The night I busted the checkride, yeah, I really was. Especially since it resulted in a logistical nightmare with my outbound flight, another night in a hotel, etc...

But I've learned a thing or three from this here forum, and one of those things is that a busted checkride is a learning opportunity. And 43-year-old me takes setbacks a lot less personally than 23-year-old-me did. So I spent some time thinking about what I did wrong, fixed it the next day. It's a relatively easy checkride.

I might attempt an airline career some day, but it's not likely - I'm not progressing fast enough to build the hours I'd need in a meaningful way. And that's okay. Collecting aviation experiences like this is a good thing.

What I'd REALLY like to do is get more tailwheel time. I just like flying taildraggers more - especially with the windows open.

What I'd REALLY like to do is get more tailwheel time. I just like flying taildraggers more - especially with the windows open.

The majority of my landings are now taildragger, despite being about 15% of TT. I wouldn't say I prefer flying them, but once you are proficient landing them, you are proficient landing nearly anything.

The night I busted the checkride, yeah, I really was. Especially since it resulted in a logistical nightmare with my outbound flight, another night in a hotel, etc...

But I've learned a thing or three from this here forum, and one of those things is that a busted checkride is a learning opportunity. And 43-year-old me takes setbacks a lot less personally than 23-year-old-me did. So I spent some time thinking about what I did wrong, fixed it the next day. It's a relatively easy checkride.

I might attempt an airline career some day, but it's not likely - I'm not progressing fast enough to build the hours I'd need in a meaningful way. And that's okay. Collecting aviation experiences like this is a good thing.

Does anybody do endorsements/rentals around here?

Does anybody do endorsements/rentals around here?

Yeah. Chesapeake Sport Pilot out of Bay Bridge does training and endorsements in Seareys. They don't publish the rental rates - which is annoying to me - but they're probably the closest place to me.

You're a bit further north, though, right? There's a seaplane base up at Havre De Grace in Harford County, but I don't think there is actual seaplane training there. EDIT - You might find something if you ask around - that was the point of mentioning it.

I think the Sea rating teaches pilots the most about decision making and practical application. Good job!
Landing off airport, which is what flying seaplanes mostly entails, has the most unknowns of civilian flying.
You make mistakes in learning, but it costs a lot more when you do.
No procedures. No one holding your hand.

Yeah. Chesapeake Sport Pilot out of Bay Bridge does training and endorsements in Seareys. They don't publish the rental rates - which is annoying to me - but they're probably the closest place to me.

You're a bit further north, though, right? There's a seaplane base up at Havre De Grace in Harford County, but I don't think there is actual seaplane training there. EDIT - You might find something if you ask around - that was the point of mentioning it.
Awesome, thanks. Actually I was referring to tailwheel though. There used to be a Citabria at MTN but it's been a decade since I've been down there.

Awesome, thanks. Actually I was referring to tailwheel though. There used to be a Citabria at MTN but it's been a decade since I've been down there.

Oh, well, there's a quite a few for that.

• Open Air at JYO has an 8KCAB that they do TW endorsements in.
  • There are two different Citabria operators at VKX who do it.
  • There's also a guy with a Citabria at Freeway who does them.

That's off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others.

Oh, well, there's a quite a few for that.

• Open Air at JYO has an 8KCAB that they do TW endorsements in.
  • There are two different Citabria operators at VKX who do it.
  • There's also a guy with a Citabria at Freeway who does them.

That's off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others.

I always thought an 8KCAB at GAI would do well, but I never got time to make it work. @killbilly, if I'm ever back in DC, I'll go in on an older Decathlon / Super-D with you.

Back