ASES - done! (a bit long)

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
So another JCer and I (who will chime in if he wants to) spent a couple days at Jack Brown's Seaplane Base in FL and did the seaplane add-on.

We flew the J-3 cubs on floats. Could've done the Super Cub for a few hundred bucks more, but the J-3 was just fine for our needs.

They say the hard lessons are the best ones, and in this case, there was a hard lesson about patience and second-guessing that led to my first checkride bust. However, I got back on the horse the next morning, fixed the problem, and passed the checkride. More on that in a second.

For those of you who've never tried it, I encourage you to do so. Seaplane flying is different - the risk management/ADM factors are considerably different when factoring your environment and wind into the equation. Learning how to read lakes for wind is surprisingly easy when you get the hang of it, but maintaining your situational awareness with respect to the wind (especially after a series of crosswind and confined-area takeoffs) takes a bit more mental energy. I imagine it becomes second-nature after a while to an accomplished seaplane pilot, but I often had to break it down into steps, be patient, and figure out my wind situation before making any maneuvers.

And that's fine. They encourage you to do that.

If you have some tailwheel experience, then awareness of weathervaning tendencies and nose-high pitch attitudes will come naturally to you.

I busted the first checkride on a step taxi. For some reason, I had a complete and total brain fart and didn't let the airplane just settle onto the step (this is where the floats start planing) - instead, I got impatient, and started fighting it. And my subsequent incorrect attempts to fix it snowballed into more confusion. Checkride was over at that point.

All I had to do was be patient with it. In the J3, you treat a step taxi just like a takeoff, and when the airplane settles onto the step, THEN you pull your power back.

After subsequent checkride-failure-shock I spent some time that night figuring out how/why I did it. And went into the remedial training the next morning with the instructor with somewhat of a plan. He taught to me in a slightly different way this time:

Total hands off stick.

Full power. Plow. Airplane rises to the step, settles down, pull power back to 2100, and PRESTO - I'm step-taxiing without touching the stick. After a few seconds, just a tiny bit of back pressure stabilizes the nose and that's it. Easy-peasy. And passed the checkride just fine later that morning.

Confined Area takeoffs are unnerving the first time you do them - it's a completely unnatural act to take off in a turn like that, and feel those lateral forces as you're coming around into the wind, but it's a very handy tool to have in the box. Step Taxi turns are similarly weird.

But as I found (and they say this is true of all Cub flying) you don't fly it so much as guide it.

Definitely a worthwhile experience - both for the fun of flying float planes and the lesson I learned from the bust.

Go get a float rating. You won't regret it.

Jack Browns is a great place. I flew down a few years ago and did SES add-on.

Step Turns - <Shudders> Hated them

Congrats on the addon
Ton of fun in a Lake. Drive with your feet and just enough aileron to keep the inside sponsoon on the wave tops to produce spray for the sun to make a spectacular rainbow out of it

Ton of fun in a Lake. Drive with your feet and just enough aileron to keep the inside sponsoon on the wave tops to produce spray for the sun to make a spectacular rainbow out of it

Interesting. In the Cub you generally want ailerons neutral, and you "trap" an over-steer with the rudder. It's all feet and throttle.

Lake is a boat, CG is low compared to a floatplane. You can keep her straight, or you can drag the sponsoon to tighten the turn and all that good boat stuff.
At higher speeds you watch for her to start skipping sideways, because catching the outside sponsoon is not advisable

Lake is a boat, CG is low compared to a floatplane. You can keep her straight, or you can drag the sponsoon to tighten the turn and all that good boat stuff.
At higher speeds you watch for her to start skipping sideways, because catching the outside sponsoon is not advisable

Is the drag lower with a Lake than a typical float-based plane? I'm curious about glassy-water and confined-takeoff procedures, specifically.

Is the drag lower with a Lake than a typical float-based plane? I'm curious about glassy-water and confined-takeoff procedures, specifically.
I only flew floats couple of times, can't really compare
Lake you can "rock" onto the step - pull back, push forward, repeat if needed. Pretty exciting stuff if done carefully.
Confined - did some really scary takeoff with a Lake uberguru Paul. Made me land on ponds I was sure we couldn't take off from, high speed run downwind to 45ish kts, turn around the sponsoon loosing speed to 30-35ish and liftoff at 50ish upwind.
Full stall landings are fun. Tail literally goes in first, then the hull follows with a pretty major splash

Love those things. Miss flying them too
Congrats on the super fun rating!

Jack Brown Alum 2006.

Man, that was a long time ago. Ask me how many times I've flown floats since...

I only flew floats couple of times, can't really compare
Lake you can "rock" onto the step - pull back, push forward, repeat if needed. Pretty exciting stuff if done carefully.
Confined - did some really scary takeoff with a Lake uberguru Paul. Made me land on ponds I was sure we couldn't take off from, high speed run downwind to 45ish kts, turn around the sponsoon loosing speed to 30-35ish and liftoff at 50ish upwind.
!

You step-taxi downwind and turn to upwind?

Steptaxi downwind, "groundloop" around sponsoon, takeoff upwind

Huh. I guess that makes sense if you have sponsons. Doing a step taxi downwind with a step turn to upwind is a big no-no in a lot of planes. I guess it's do-able in a Lake, though, since it sits so low?

Huh. I guess that makes sense if you have sponsons. Doing a step taxi downwind with a step turn to upwind is a big no-no in a lot of planes. I guess it's do-able in a Lake, though, since it sits so low?

Yup. Can't dock it though and sailing is theoretical to marginal

IMG_0298.JPG

This was a fun trip!

Weird part for me: I don't get the same high from a new rating that I once did. I now realize that I like seeing my students reach their achievements much more than I enjoy my own.

Last edited:
I busted the first checkride on a step taxi. For some reason, I had a complete and total brain fart and didn't let the airplane just settle onto the step (this is where the floats start planing) - instead, I got impatient, and started fighting it. And my subsequent incorrect attempts to fix it snowballed into more confusion. Checkride was over at that point.

You are probably beating yourself up more than you wrote about the checkride bust. Which is natural. But when you look back on it in 4 or 5 or 20 years, you'll realize it is the reason we have checkrides. I learned more from the one I busted than I did from the six I've passed combined.

But, also jealous. As I live around the corner, I need to find a few days to go out there as well.

You are probably beating yourself up more than you wrote about the checkride bust. Which is natural. But when you look back on it in 4 or 5 or 20 years, you'll realize it is the reason we have checkrides. I learned more from the one I busted than I did from the six I've passed combined.

But, also jealous. As I live around the corner, I need to find a few days to go out there as well.

If only the airlines would see it so.....

Back