As Requested: Monthly Schedule Bidding

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
Thanks for the idea, Aloft!

Here ya go! Monthly Schedule Bidding

Another exercise in bad grammer and run on sentences, but what do you expect on a 2 hour commute home after a long day?
smile.gif

Doug,

So how many seats are usually available on the flights to/from PHX? I see that you have 5 to choose from which are all mainline, so it must be that much easier than flying a CRJ to DFW.

Good article btw!

The big benefit of riding mainline to work is the ability for me to call 3 days in advance and reserve the jumpseat to work, and 2 days prior to going home.

That way, if the flight is full, no worries, you've got the jumpseat and a semi-guaranteed ride home.

What did you have to do to switch bases from DFW to ATL? Do you just bid it or how does Delta handle that? Is your schedule starting to be a lot better since you are a much senior FO in ATL compared to when you were based out of DFW?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks though for your time.

Basically I put in a "Advance Entitlement" into the computer so when there are openings, it's awarded according to seniority. I can't bump anyone out, but if someone leaves the category, I can bid in.

My relative seniority is a lot better in ATL so I'll have more options and a better schedule compared to DFW.

cool article - Are the jumpseat reservations seniority based or is it first come first serve?

So, which is harder?

Actually flying the airplane? Or bidding to fly it on the days and times you want?

[ QUOTE ]
cool article - Are the jumpseat reservations seniority based or is it first come first serve?

[/ QUOTE ]

First come, first serve!

In some city pairs like ATL/JAX and ATL/PNS, unless you're on the telephone three days prior, the jumpseat is gone! Those are two places you're going to have a heck of a time commuting out of as a ATL based pilot.

Now that's what I call service! Ya wish for something out loud, and *poof!* there it is, a few days later. Great article, Doug--thanks!

p.s., as a follow-up, I'd be interested to see exactly how high on your bid list your awarded line is....
smile.gif

To be completely honest, I haven't done my bidding yet because I'm still taking 'requests' from Mrs Taylor. I could probably post after the month is over which lines I bid compared to which line I was awarded.

Too many guys reading the website to let everyone know so far in advance where I'll be!
smile.gif

"Hey hon, where's the VCR? And the printer?"
smile.gif

I know it probably wont be the same program but is there a place where you can see all flights and seats available? I ask because i plan on flying reserve some and i think it would save some trouble to see how full the flight is before even arriving to the airport?

[ QUOTE ]
I know it probably wont be the same program but is there a place where you can see all flights and seats available? I ask because i plan on flying reserve some and i think it would save some trouble to see how full the flight is before even arriving to the airport?

[/ QUOTE ]

We have a thing called "Travelnet" at Delta where we can check loads, flight listings and other information and get semi-real time data. But load information is proprietary information so it's for employees only.

Also, we have a numbe we can call, with an employee number and password to get the same data, but it's a computerized voice.

[ QUOTE ]
So use last month's schedule.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so I spent an hour de-identifying, "red acting", cutting, censoring and acrobating:

December 2003 Schedule

With the actual times instead of scheduled.

Thanks for all the work putting that together, Doug.

One more question (since we seem to have caught you in an accomodating mood lately
wink.gif
), can you show the bid lines as you requested them for last month, then highlight which one you ended up with? Actually, better yet, just the breakdown numerically; i.e. you are 160 on the seniority list, and you were awarded your 36th bid choice line... something like that.

Thanks, boss...

[ QUOTE ]
Simple question: Does "easy bid" do taxes too? Or, make coffee?
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, EasyBid has a sister program called EasyLog which automatically updates my electronic logbook by automatically downloading my information from the Delta computer and will sort and categorize the flight time.

It also looks at my layover cities and the amount of time spent in each then compares it to the IRS meal allowances and generally can save me $400 to $700 per year in deductions.

But no coffee.

Back