As Requested: Monthly Schedule Bidding

[ QUOTE ]
Doug I always hear you make mention of wanting to bid the 767 outa LAX. Do you favor the 767 over the 757?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenever I say "767" it actually means 757-200/767-200/767-300/767-300ER "domestic".

Domestic category 767 pilots fly the 757 and all variants of the 767 (except the -400) in domestic operations only. We have 767 bases in ATL, CVG, LAX and SLC.

If I say "767 ER" or "7ER" it means 767-300 "international" which are crewed at JFK and ATL only.

The 767-400 is a seperate category altogether. There is the "764" category which is ATL-based and flies the 767-400 aircraft domestically. There is also a "765" cagetory which is LAX-based and flies the 767-400 under transoceanic/international rules between the US mainland and Hawaii only.

Confused yet?
smile.gif

Ultimately, if Kristie and I don't have children, I'd like her to travel with me to Europe on the weekends.

What makes international flying more exciting. I have heard that international pilots have more time off per month and make more money verses domestic pilots.

I would think international flying would be more boring and monotonous then flying domestic as the plane is mostly on autopilot and the pilots are typically either asleep, reading the newpaper,magazines,doing crossword puzzles or just making position reports.

Also if you get the 300-ER would you be an IRP (International relief pilot) or part of main crew. IRP seems less then desirable to me.

Lastly all those 767-300ER's that fly from CVG to LGW,CDG and FRA there crews are either based in ATL or JFK? I always thought they were CVG based crew.

Matthew

Nope, there are no 767ER crews based in CVG.

Honestly, if you've flown one jet, you've almost flown them all, but the exciting thing about the international category are the layovers.

I'd get to see Moscow, Bombay, France, Britain, Ireland, etc all on the company's dime.

Now, I can fly almost 7 hours in a day and end up on a short layover in Lexington, KY. Whereas I can fly a little more and end up on a 26 hour layover on the beach in Nice on the French riviera.

It really sounds weird, but after you've spend a few years on the same airplane and you've practically seen the whole country, there's not a whole lot to look forward to besides cashing a check and getting home.

Bases:
ATL 777, 7ER, 767, 764, M88, 737-800, 737-300 ANALOG
CVG 767, M88, 737-300 ANALOG
DFW M88, 737-300 ANALOG (getting phased out of DFW)
LAX 767, 765
NYC 7ER, M88, 737-300 EFIS, 737-800
SLC 767, 737-800, 737-300 ANALOG

A few Qs for Doug (what else is new)

If you were to upgrade or bid to be a captain would you start back down on the MD 88/90 or 737 and work your way up the list again?

When you are first hired and assigned an aircraft, can you put a bid in for a specific base (which complies with the aircraft of course)?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So use last month's schedule.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so I spent an hour de-identifying, "red acting", cutting, censoring and acrobating:

December 2003 Schedule

With the actual times instead of scheduled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man, now I feel bad. I didn't mean for you to go to all that work, Doug. All I was after was an idea of how far down your "wish list" of line preferences your seniority actually gets you generally--for instance, your 74th choice out of the 160 lines you rank-ordered with EasyBid.

Sorry for making you go to all that effort just to answer a simple question.
crazy.gif

Aloft, it's ok man, that's what I'm here for! Who else is going to answer your question within six years?
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
A few Qs for Doug (what else is new)

If you were to upgrade or bid to be a captain would you start back down on the MD 88/90 or 737 and work your way up the list again?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever your seniority would allow. I know a guy who went from MD-88 captain to 767ER captain recently.

[ QUOTE ]
When you are first hired and assigned an aircraft, can you put a bid in for a specific base (which complies with the aircraft of course)?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can, but count on being on the most junior equipment in the most junior base. If the most junior equipment and the most junior base is NYC, you're going to NYC!
smile.gif

Just out of curiosity, what is Delta's most junior equipment and base? And If you were to switch to 767ER out of JFK, wouldn't that be one hell of a commute?

My GUESS on junior sub-base would be CVG MD-88 or 737. Doug, am I right? And if so, what do I win?

Transcontinental commutes are tougher, but the nice thing about Europe flying is that almost all the trips depart late afternoon or evening and return stateside mid-day, making them ideal for commuters. This is due largely to the North Atlantic track system, which has eastbound aircraft leaving North America late evening for morning arrivals in Europe, and westbound aircraft with late morning to early afternoon departures from Europe for mid- to late lafternoon arrivals stateside.

FL270

Doug.. can you post the DOH required to fly 777 & 767 internationally from various bases?

I'm wondering how long you'd need to work at Delta before you can fly international routes..

ATL 777 International
Captain: April 1978
FO: March 1990

ATL 767ER International:
Captain: September 1984
FO: August 1997

LAX 767-400 International (well, Hawaii)
Captain: April 1976
FO: March 1991

NYC 767ER International:
Captain: December 1986
FO: December 1997

woa those 777 captains must be old school... Do they still wear those zany 70s leisure suits to work? heh sorry couldnt resist.... Im wondering though what is the upgrade time right now or DOH required on things to be captain on the MD-90 or 737 or things like that?

I'll tell ya later.

It took me 30 minutes to pull up all that data that I listed above.

That schedule you posted for the NYC 767ER, I am wondering how many times a month would you fly? It looks like more hours per trip then some of the MD88, trips you have posted.

[ QUOTE ]
ATL 777 International
Captain: April 1978
FO: March 1990

ATL 767ER International:
Captain: September 1984
FO: August 1997

LAX 767-400 International (well, Hawaii)
Captain: April 1976
FO: March 1991

NYC 767ER International:
Captain: December 1986
FO: December 1997

[/ QUOTE ]

And before anyone asks, I'm a Jan 1998 hire.

So does it average about 7 years working for the airline before you can upgrade to F/O on an international route?

[ QUOTE ]
So does it average about 7 years working for the airline before you can upgrade to F/O on an international route?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Back