AS application question-employment history

My idol.

My mountain bike
IMG_1009.JPG

Last edited:
It’s not 135 and it’s not a regional. Still gonna send it.
Yeah apply away, but know that this place is a stepping stone company now. Most regionals have a better contract, superior relationship with management, and more days off.

APC is outdated. It's not a 401K match. It's a direct contribution, they just put it in. The 401k is 15% and goes up to 15.5% in a couple months effective Jan 1.

Is that 15% match of your total contributions? Because that's bloody amazing. Most companies match 50% of your contributions up to 6% total.

You wanna know what my 135 is? Two words. Goose.Egg. Sure, there’s a 401k you can put money in, but they won’t contribute a red cent. Last 135 was a little better, 100% to 3%, 50% to 5%. And these companies wonder why even by increasing pay to a living wage they can’t keep people...

Yup - medevac means you have to have a side hustle as a pilot. It's the only way to build a retirement because effectively none of them offer any retirement options. Ironically, you end up working extra if you want to put away money for retirement.

Yup - medevac means you have to have a side hustle as a pilot. It's the only way to build a retirement because effectively none of them offer any retirement options. Ironically, you end up working extra if you want to put away money for retirement.
I’m fortunate to have one...and most of the time I do it in my on-call time.

Believe it or not I have recently flown with a couple people who made the jump over and the grass is certainly greener In their eyes. I get what you are saying though, but there are a lot of them trying to escape and come to SJI. I do live in the AK pilot ghetto after all and know quite a few.

If they’re low on the totem pole, I can see it. But if someone isn’t near the bottom, I’d say they’re nuts.

Yeah apply away, but know that this place is a stepping stone company now. Most regionals have a better contract, superior relationship with management, and more days off.

The more I really step back and think about this, the more I'm starting to realize this is just mostly a POed merger group talking (myself included but trying to improve). The reality is AS is still a legacy airline and an enviable carrier to work for with no shortage of people who would love to work here if given the chance. The gloom and doom, 2% growth, stagnation, etc, is sucky news but exaggerated. But look at the bright side, no pilot has been furloughed or downgraded so far, got a ~32% payraise and a 15-15.5% retirement, and a solid footing in terms of long term job prospects.

The one thing I would say and reiterate is that AS is not really a commuter's airline. People that work here/choose to come here are mostly doing so for ANC, SEA, PDX. LAX is the primary commuter base, but the other bases a good 80-90%+ live in base. As such, their contract reflects that reality. That's why they have things like one of the highest industry reserve guarantee (79 hrs/month) at the expense of 12 "days" off. If you live in base on reserve and aren't used, it feels like a day off. The pilot group asked and got more money (79) for it. It's stuff like that if you study their contract, it's clear the whole thing is built for those who live in base.

Comparing this place to a regional in terms of better contracts, superior relationships with management (LOL), and more days off, well that's just a grass greener on the outside syndrome (I see @ATN_Pilot already beat me at making this point). This place is far more secure, better, stable, pay/retirement, etc, than any regional airline today. The only reason the couple guys who left for Envoy DEC is for the PIC time.

Believe it or not I have recently flown with a couple people who made the jump over and the grass is certainly greener In their eyes. I get what you are saying though, but there are a lot of them trying to escape and come to SJI. I do live in the AK pilot ghetto after all and know quite a few.

I'm sure you are. But I really doubt you're getting many/any AS Captains making the jump. From the attrition list they publish, all the CAs I see are retirements. The ones leaving are FOs and predominantly guys with 3 yrs or less. A couple 4-5 year guys. But they are FOs.

If they’re low on the totem pole, I can see it. But if someone isn’t near the bottom, I’d say they’re nuts.

Problem is until the SLI comes out, we don't know what the totem pole looks like. Mark your calendars, Oct 11 decision and most likely Oct 12 distribute to pilot group. Prepare numerous bags of popcorn and your favorite beverage before getting on the forums that day! And if anyone works here, please make sure there are no kids, cats, or dogs in your vicnity that may be harmed from one's initial reaction to the result...

Ya, it's mostly 3-4 years or less. Agreed, not sure I would do it if I was in a certain someone's position on here. Not to name any names but they rhyme with @Cherokee_Cruiser

I know. I'm starting 8th yr pay in a couple months. I think if I move to the west coast (which will happen some point in 2019) I'm just gonna stick it out IMO.

Is that 15% match of your total contributions? Because that's bloody amazing. Most companies match 50% of your contributions up to 6% total.

No match. They just put 15% of what you make into your 401K for free. You are free to add more if you wish. I add 2% myself and the company gives 15% for a total of 17% in retirement for me. As mentioned, Jan 1st the company contribution goes to 15.5%

The more I really step back and think about this, the more I'm starting to realize this is just mostly a POed merger group talking (myself included but trying to improve). The reality is AS is still a legacy airline and an enviable carrier to work for with no shortage of people who would love to work here if given the chance. The gloom and doom, 2% growth, stagnation, etc, is sucky news but exaggerated. But look at the bright side, no pilot has been furloughed or downgraded so far, got a ~32% payraise and a 15-15.5% retirement, and a solid footing in terms of long term job prospects.

The one thing I would say and reiterate is that AS is not really a commuter's airline. People that work here/choose to come here are mostly doing so for ANC, SEA, PDX. LAX is the primary commuter base, but the other bases a good 80-90%+ live in base. As such, their contract reflects that reality. That's why they have things like one of the highest industry reserve guarantee (79 hrs/month) at the expense of 12 "days" off. If you live in base on reserve and aren't used, it feels like a day off. The pilot group asked and got more money (79) for it. It's stuff like that if you study their contract, it's clear the whole thing is built for those who live in base.

Comparing this place to a regional in terms of better contracts, superior relationships with management (LOL), and more days off, well that's just a grass greener on the outside syndrome (I see @ATN_Pilot already beat me at making this point). This place is far more secure, better, stable, pay/retirement, etc, than any regional airline today. The only reason the couple guys who left for Envoy DEC is for the PIC time.

I'm sure you are. But I really doubt you're getting many/any AS Captains making the jump. From the attrition list they publish, all the CAs I see are retirements. The ones leaving are FOs and predominantly guys with 3 yrs or less. A couple 4-5 year guys. But they are FOs.

Problem is until the SLI comes out, we don't know what the totem pole looks like. Mark your calendars, Oct 11 decision and most likely Oct 12 distribute to pilot group. Prepare numerous bags of popcorn and your favorite beverage before getting on the forums that day! And if anyone works here, please make sure there are no kids, cats, or dogs in your vicnity that may be harmed from one's initial reaction to the result...

I know. I'm starting 8th yr pay in a couple months. I think if I move to the west coast (which will happen some point in 2019) I'm just gonna stick it out IMO.

So you upgraded and can move to Seattle, and I'm an FO and I'm moving to Ann Arbor. We've been doing this job about the same period of time.

I would happily trade positions with you.

So you upgraded and can move to Seattle, and I'm an FO and I'm moving to Ann Arbor. We've been doing this job about the same period of time.

I would happily trade positions with you.

Congrats on the move! My wife's from the MI area too and her family is still there. I wouldn't mind going back to MI, in many ways I miss it. But she hates the snow/cold and says she'd rather live in CA again and fly 2-3 times a year to see family. Personally I think that's a kinda crazy viewpoint, but I learned long ago a happy wife is worth its weight in gold.

I assume you're JFK based now which is the main reason for the move back east? If so, pro tip out of DTW if you miss all your regular passenger flights: the nonstop 10:55pm Fedex departure DTW-EWR arriving about 12:15am every 'zulu' Tues-Fri (Monday night-Thurs night).

Back