Are you happy with your regional?

Not much to complain. Live in base, line holding CA average around 13 days off. Company sucks at times, but the crews make it all worth it. Met some great friends. Enough time to relax with the wife, and work with my outside business (landscaping).

Extremely happy. Compared to my instructing gig I have way more days off. I'm making twice what I was before while working less. My wife and I have killer travel benefits which we have used a LOT. I get to fly all over the U.S. Just yesterday I flew in Canada, USA, and Mexico. I've hit a vast majority of Class B and C airports across the country. My route map would suggest I'm not really a "regional" pilot, but then my paycheck says "uh yeah you are."

I love my job. I'm excited to go to work everyday.

I do look back fondly and miss my instructing days, but my wallet and my wife don't miss those days.

That said every regional has its problems, but I'm a glass half full kind of guy, and IMO the glass is way over half full.

YMMV

:)

Happy enough. Pay and QOL have improved dramatically since I came here two and a half years ago. I upgraded to Captain in November after two years here. Because we are experiencing an expansion/complete reinvention of the company, I will be a line holding Captain next month. I have all the days off I wanted off and not on min days.

This is a far cry from the guys two years before before (seniority wise) me who sat 2 years reserve as captains(with miserable reserve rules). For once in my life (and career), I'm at the right place at the right time. If only I didn't have to commute, I'd be completely happy for now. Well, I'm a pilot, so I'll never be completely happy ;)

It's not that there aren't problems or things to change, there always are, but that's anywhere. There are pains coming with the expansion, it's inevitable. But I'll stick to the regional mantra: I'll get my time and get out. I'd like to get to something larger than a regional aircraft at some point, hopefully sooner than later.

I enjoy the job so far. I'm off year one pay, got lucky when the long training delays meant I was a round 1 line holder a month after IOE, and the job (the flying) is more fun/interesting than expected. Now that I am comfortable with the aircraft, I like flying all three versions of the CRJ. Plus, preflighting a 700/900 and not having to crawl to inspect the gear makes feel like I am finally flying a big boy plane too.

I am already tired of Jepp updates, but I should get issued an iPad within two weeks so those will be gone before long. I'd love to be making more $, but I can pay my bills and have money to invest left over, so I am doing OK.

The only real complaint I have is the decisions by management and uncertainty of the future with regards to recruiting FOs to keep the aircraft deliveries coming. I figure the solution to management's problems is to raise our pay substantially to attract new hires, and if they do that, well, life gets better even if there still aren't many new pilots to be found. I'm content to stay here for now, and reevaluate later this fall or next spring.

Dude, really? Park the -200s problem solved.

Have you contacted their customer support for repair?
Unfortunately it's now so old they won't repair it. But they will accept full value trade in credit towards a new set which I would have done months ago but I mostly fly a desk right now.

Dude, really? Park the -200s problem solved.

Well, that would solve it to staff the current number of planes. I want the 150 plane fleet plan though. More planes = more upgrade opportunity. It took forever to get here, and I can't afford to wait too long to upgrade. A few missed opportunities over the past five or six years mainly due to military obligations have put me several years behind for someone my age. As things stand now, I figure the two year upgrade I was hoping for is more likely to be 4-5 years here if nothing changes. Coming here looked like the best option in late 2015 for several reasons, but other options are better now. I can't afford not to go to a better salary elsewhere if I can't upgrade here in the next couple years.

I've been happy at TSA. Been here almost three years, upgraded in two and now a captain line holder. I live in base and I'm able hold weekends off. I think living in base makes a world of difference.

I'm looking forward to hopefully moving on someday, but after instructing, flying charter, and flying corporate, my current gig at at SkyWest is the best job I've had by far. I was able to fly the Brasilia all over the west coast, fly the CRJ in ASE for several years, and upgraded in 4 years which was quicker than I expected.

The most important part for my happiness though, is that with the exception of a couple months, I've always been based at home. I cannot stress how much of a difference that makes between being a happy person vs absolutely miserable.

Pretty happy. On reserve and never flying which is a drag, but at the end of the day now at least I'm getting a decent paycheck and my time is (mostly) mine. Can't argue TOO bad with being able to get paid to do things like get in shape and play video games all day.

Granted, I'm new to mine, but I'm more than happy with it. By far the easiest flying job I've had, no throwing/stacking of boxes to deal with, no strapping of pallets to deal with, legitimate on call times on reserve, legitimate rest rules. I know lots of people complain about the regional game, but there are way, way, way worse places to be in.

Reactions: WS
I've been happy at TSA. Been here almost three years, upgraded in two and now a captain line holder. I live in base and I'm able hold weekends off. I think living in base makes a world of difference.

That's so awesome.

Is your company able to recruit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back