Apple vs. Logbooks

I think the logbook in ForeFlight will become the new standard. It's still in its infancy, but give it a few years and it will likely do everything Log Ten does and more. Log Ten is a pretty great log book. I'm afraid, however, it's too niche-y to generate sufficient revenue to sustain its advancement as a stand-alone product.
I’m intrigued by the foreflight logbook idea-I already pay every year for it so it seems like a good use of resources to go that way vs paying for yet another service.

I’m intrigued by the foreflight logbook idea-I already pay every year for it so it seems like a good use of resources to go that way vs paying for yet another service.

Foreflight seems to rapidly placing its self as the google/Microsoft/ITunes/etc of aviation electronics at this rate.

I don’t even think it’s because they have some head and shoulders above best in all categories product either. They just seem very keen on recognizing a new need and quickly developing to fill that requirement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foreflight seems to rapidly placing its self as the google/Microsoft/ITunes/etc of aviation electronics at this rate.

I don’t even think it’s because they have some head and shoulders above best in all categories product either. They just seem very keen on recognizing a new need and quickly developing to fill that requirement.

Have you used other apps tho?

The concern I have with this is the same as logten. What happens in 20 years when foreflight is bought out or closes doors and says they wont support logbooks? I'm looking for a permanent solution.

The concern I have with this is the same as logten. What happens in 20 years when foreflight is bought out or closes doors and says they wont support logbooks? I'm looking for a permanent solution.
I mean, if you’re worried that Foreflight is gonna go bye-bye I think the only thing that will satisfy you is an excel sheet that you control.

I mean, if you’re worried that Foreflight is gonna go bye-bye I think the only thing that will satisfy you is an excel sheet that you control.

I don't think it will happen but you never know. What I'm thinking now is printing my Logbook Pro out and then starting an excel spreadsheet from there forward.

I don't think it will happen but you never know. What I'm thinking now is printing my Logbook Pro out and then starting an excel spreadsheet from there forward.

You know you can transfer all your current data into excel, right? AFAIK, all the electronic logbooks allow you to import and export data.

Any respectable log book - whether stand-alone, or embedded (a la ForeFlight) - is going to give you the option to export your data to an Excel, or a generic delineated data file. Worries about shelf-life are rather moot. Data structures and apps are constantly changing. Worrying about data formats more than 5 years out is a rather futile exercise. Can I open high school era WP8 word processing files files? No. Can I open them? Yup.

LogTen Pro user here... why? Because that’s all that was available when I dove into the Apple orchard years ago. Now I’m invested and won’t go back unless LogTen quits. For my GA flying I let Garmin Pilot log it all. I transferred the first dozen or so hours into LogTen, but now really don’t see the need. THe insurance company only cares about time in type.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I transferred my electronic log into Foreflight. Due to a combination of the way I logged some flights, the way the website I used exported the data, and the way Foreflight takes the data I had a couple hours of tweaking to do. I’m not overwhelmed by the Foreflight logbook awesomeness yet, it’s definitely targeted more towards the weekend warrior, I’m hoping that like they’ve done with the rest of their product they’ll continually improve it.

Back