Apollo 8 astronaut William Anders killed in airplane crash

There’s a fun meme on the motorcycle pages

“If I died riding, it wasn’t doing what I loved. Its cause I misjudged a gap and my last word was “oops””

When I spun a Seneca and one of the engines quit, my thoughts weren’t “Oh, at least I’ll die doing what I love” it was more “DOUG YOU STUPID F! DOUG YOU STUPID F!” and feeling mad about getting killed because of my complacency. And hoping it doesn’t hurt too bad for too long when we hit.

Dying while doing something you love is romanticized. I've never experienced it personally but I suspect it would depend on the activity and the abruptness of my demise. I don't want to just wither away slowly in hospice care, given the choice (not possible) I'd rather pass away in an instant while engaged in something I enjoyed. Humans enjoy stretching their limits and sometimes it doesn't end well, we like to say they died doing what they loved and I think it's not an apt description, they certainly didn't love dying, it was just a coincidence that it happened when they were doing something they loved. I'll also say a sudden death takes a lot longer to get over for those left behind than a courageous battle with cancer. So you might die suddenly and devastate everyone or you die slowly and everyone's been waiting for that phone call for months or years.
60313737-6ABE-4BEB-9EA0-043A5CF954CC.jpeg

Dying while doing something you love is romanticized.

I think it's for the "living" because it makes us process loss grief easier.

"Died valiantly at the Ypres-Salient on the battlefield, defending France!"

Probably, kicked back in the trench to open a can of C-Rations, talk some sh-- and scratch himself then some sniper saw his helmet and ***THWAPPP!***

I think it's for the "living" because it makes us process loss grief easier.

"Died valiantly at the Ypres-Salient on the battlefield, defending France!"

Probably, kicked back in the trench to open a can of C-Rations, talk some sh-- and scratch himself then some sniper saw his helmet and ***THWAPPP!***
My point was more about the loss of a loved one, if they're dying from cancer and the end is a slow yet inevitable outcome the living have a chance to "make peace" with the situation. When someone dies unexpectedly it's a much rougher road for those left behind, it doesn't matter if they were doing what they loved when they died, the folks that loved and or cared for them will be stunned and it takes longer to work through all of the stuff afterwards. That's why I think people want to cling to the sentiment that someone died doing what they loved. It's actually kind of selfish for the living, it's just ointment along the the grief cycle.

I've told many people, if I die flying airplanes or skydiving, don't say I died doing what I love, say I knew the risks and decided it was worth it.

That's how I approach many activities in life and think others might be better off if they did the same. If a person locks themselves away and never does anything interesting, they might reduce their risks, but at what costs? Some would say it leads to a boring life with little meaning.

The benefits I gain from certain activities far outweigh the risks involved. They're worth it. I'd rather not die doing them, but giving them up entirely isn't the right answer either.

Related reading: I really liked Fred Haise’s book, Never Panic Early, and I really liked Pete Conrad’s biography, Rocketman. The former darn near bought his own farm in the 1970s aboard a CAF BT-13 in a landing accident, and the latter died up near Ojai on his motorcycle. Mike Collins’s book Carrying the Fire is probably the best of the astronaut biographies of that generation, too.
Thanks for the suggestion, I just purchased Never Panic Early. I loved Carrying the Fire, and I've consumed a ton of 60s space race stuff.

I don't see flying as all that dangerous compared to say, riding motorcycles, or even just driving a car on a two lane road. All it takes is for the guy coming the other way to drop his phone and kaboom. Happens all the time.

90 year old pulling 4Gs all the way to impact was impressive, not gonna lie.

Exactly. A low altitude split-S is not something I love, as you can only tie the record for sea level, but a hell of an accomplishment nonetheless.

Would have been more impressive if he had made it. Too soon?
I'd imagine he didn't make it on his very last time after doing it for years to the delight of boaters and spectators on the shore. You can describe it in whatever manner makes you feel better.

“Died doing what he loved” is my least favorite sentiment. I love flying airplanes. Not dying.
Coming off the one year anniversary of putting my own plane into the drink, can confirm. I did not love it.

I think it’s meant to bring solace to friends and family. One of those ones where I’m personally not itching to jump in and correct it.

Back