Any info on PACE?

Kellwolf,
Anyway for you to get us some gouge on the actual interview that takes place for PACE. Like what types of questions and such. Thanks.

Here's what a couple of guys on another board told me about the PACE interview:
[ QUOTE ]
The interview wasn't all that bad. The day started out with a 30 question Instrument/Commercial multiple guess written. After that was the psychological profile multiple choice test. We then had an orientation which lasted for about an hour where they talked about what to expect in the program and how hiring is looking. After the orientation was a 1 hr. lunch break and after that the one-on-one interview. That lasted about 45 mins. Standard stuff.."Why should we pick you?" "What characteristics make up a good pilot?" "Tell me how you handle stress?" Just kind of getting a feeling for your peronality I guess. After that was a sim ride which was quite easy. Just fly a Pattern A/B type thing with basic IR climbs, turns, descents. Then fly an ILS approach straight in. They already had us on the localizer...just had to intercept the glideslope and fly it down to DH.

The whole day was from 8 am until around 3 pm. I got a call saying I was selected about a week after the interview.

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
I started in on May 10th....the interview wasnt too technical. Mostly they asked HR questions, with many "what if" scenarios. The one question I remember was what I would do if I smelled alcohol on the captains breath. Its pretty straight forward. They want to see someone that is going to be dedicated for the program. I think many of the others who didnt get it had the wrong attitude.

the IFR course is only 4 weeks long, and it is nice to review essential info. multi was really easy for me, but others struggled with it. The CL-65 systems class(CRJ) was the most difficult. the grading scale is harsh....94-100% A, 85-93% B, and 77-84% C....you can only get 1 "C" in the Pace program, so be careful....otherwise good luck, and write back with any questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that interview information. Doesn't sound too bad.

And yeah, I knew that you need a 2 year degree. I'll be getting my bachelors in december.

I'm trying to remember some of the questions my buddy said were on the psyche test. The only one I can remember is "It's Friday night and you have no plans do you a) stay home and read a book b) go out drinking with friends or c) something else." I think that was is just to gauge your socialbility (is that even a WORD?) Probably more of those questions that have no right or wrong answer. They just want to make sure you're not an axe murder. Although I did meet one guy there that I think would probably have an "accident" if I was on a trip with him.
smile.gif
He was kinda freaky.

Uh... So my question to that example you gave would be, how could you determine if they are an axe murderer with those answers. I mean, hell, all three are legit. You sure the third one wasn't something like, (c) Do something else....like plan a robbery? LOL

When I was at flight safety we had to take a similar test. All the answers are "legit" but the airlines are looking for specific people. Basically the do I want to spend a week flying with you person. They base that off of the personality profile or "psych test". The real question is what kind of person is Mesa looking for. Most airlines and I can not speak for all, look for people that start out as first officers but they hire future captains. That means that the applicant has to be able to handle his/her own in difficult situations. If you answered that you would like to stay home, and based on your other answers that may show that your a type S or C personality on a DISC scale. If you answered meeting up with friends, that shows your outgoing side which is more on the type I on the DISC scale. Other questions will test for dominance and assertiveness. Oh yea, whatever you do don't study for this test as your score can be very off cue. They ask the same questions three different times in three different ways and they get a benchmark. I hope I was able to somewhat explain and not confuse you more. One easy way to look at it though is that "most" pilots have very similar personalities such as being assertive and social (thinking we are Maveric from Top Gun" We like to talk to strangers (Jet Careers) and we enjoy being out with people (layovers) so most pilots should have a pretty even baseline on the test. They are more looking for abnormalities. Again, I am no Ph.D. but I am studying Human Factors at ERAU and so I figured I can finally put this to use. Hope that helped, PM me if you would like more of an explanation or if your in the PHX area drop me a line and we can get some beer. Fly safe everyone.

I took the test to get into the ab initio program, one question was something like this

If you where on and airplane do you A- read a book B- talk to the person next to you C- keep to yourself.

If you where at a party and didn't know anybody would you A keep to yourself B- start a conversation with somebody or C wait until somebody started talking to you

If you had to pick one, which would it be. A- a red rose B- a cold steal gun (I picked the gun by the way and I did get accepted into the program)

[ QUOTE ]
If you where on and airplane do you A- read a book B- talk to the person next to you C- keep to yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about D- stare out the window and try to figure out where you are.

The geekiest thing I've EVER done, I did on the trip back from ABQ to MCO. My friend had his laptop and the FMS/autopilot program the you can get in PACE. We programmed the FMS and followed the flight on the laptop. Granted it was a little off since we were in a 737 and the program is for an RJ....

[ QUOTE ]
[.

The geekiest thing I've EVER done, I did on the trip back from ABQ to MCO. My friend had his laptop and the FMS/autopilot program the you can get in PACE. We programmed the FMS and followed the flight on the laptop. Granted it was a little off since we were in a 737 and the program is for an RJ....

[/ QUOTE ]

You're ill. Worse than those that fly for virtual airlines..........

But kudos for being man enough to admit doing that!
laugh.gif

What would have been funny is if you had told any inquisitive fellow passengers that you were actually controlling the aircraft from your seat in coach!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
What would have been funny is if you had told any inquisitive fellow passengers that you were actually controlling the aircraft from your seat in coach!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the laptop does have wi-fi......

Hey I was just wondering what the difference between the pace and ab init is?

Is there a better chance to get hired for one over the other?

And what is the cost of the ab init?

I am a grad of ERAU in May 04 so wondering what the options are?

And I saw something about Mesa hiring the instructors is this part of the deal CFI II MEI?

Thanks for the info...

taz, more info can be found on their website, but...

ab int is for people with zero flight time and its a two year program where you recieve an associates degree in aviation science or something. Price is something like 45k+

pace is a 19-week program for people with at least a comm. liscense, at least 250 hours, and at least a 2-year college degree. Price is something like 12-15K

From what I've heard there is no difference in the likelyhood of getting hired between the programs (if anything, PACE probably has less people, so the pool of aplicants would probably be smaller)

from what you said about yourself, the ab int program would make no sense for you (I imagine you have flight time, and you'll have a college degree).

I don't think they hire instructors from their programs, because they don't provide any instructor ratings. Instructors that are hired from the outside world do get the guaranteed interview as well though, I believe.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey I was just wondering what the difference between the pace and ab init is?

Is there a better chance to get hired for one over the other?

And what is the cost of the ab init?

I am a grad of ERAU in May 04 so wondering what the options are?

And I saw something about Mesa hiring the instructors is this part of the deal CFI II MEI?

Thanks for the info...

[/ QUOTE ]

Coming out of Riddle, you should have a red carpet to the airlines, why would you care about ab initio?
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think they hire instructors from their programs, because they don't provide any instructor ratings. Instructors that are hired from the outside world do get the guaranteed interview as well though, I believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Instructors get a guaranteed interview after one year, IIRC from their web site.

[ QUOTE ]
(if anything, PACE probably has less people, so the pool of aplicants would probably be smaller)

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, last semester ab-initio and PACE are pretty much thrown together from what I could tell. There was a mix of both in the class I sat in.

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, last semester ab-initio and PACE are pretty much thrown together from what I could tell. There was a mix of both in the class I sat in.

[/ QUOTE ]

PACE folks are integrated into the 4th semester with the regular MAPD classes. There are five semesters in the regular program - 1) private 2) cross country (& instrument ground) 3) Instrument rating

Then 4th semester is multi and 5th is turbine.
PACE guys are also required to attend an instrument refresher course, which is not part of the regular MAPD program.

Back