Anti-vax rental requirement

They're a good flight school. It's such a shame.

Was in the flight school business for quite some time. I learned unless you have serious, serious money behind you (and sometimes not even then), "good flight schools" are usually driven by some combination of force of personality by either it's owners, principals or others at the top of the pyramid, like a good chief CFI.

None of them are doing it for money, because there isn't any, so as soon as one or more leaves, the whole place either folds up, or starts a slow degradation that usually results in a flame out.

There are exceptions. Places with a ton of money to toss into it, like a FlightSafety*, can build up a cadre of management people who do actually know what they're doing, and actually build a system of continuity in place to maintain the quality of training. Sometimes they can start small and build up to that, which is what ATP seems to have done, or develop a rep for a quality product that people need, like the American Flyer's CFI academy. If your quality training is your "product", you need a fairly rigid standardization program

Continuity is the key. Without it, as soon as a key person or two leaves, you're sunk. Either you have to have that in ownership, or suck it up and pay someone decent money. Your Joe Bag-o-Donuts CFI isn't going to spend that kind of time, and even if they do, they'll split as soon as a better deal comes along.

* Money didn't help the FSA, because they wound up selling out when they couldn't get some accreditations done. They've got a ton of money behind them, so I was pretty surprised when this happened.

Last edited:
I got an alert from Indeed a couple of days ago for a flight instructor position at Blue Line. They announced a second location in you guessed it, Florida, after some lease disagreements with the airport in NC they currently operate out of. I noticed they still list the COVID jab not required in the job description.

In other news, 10 year pay for a CFI at their CFI academy is $190k.

Screenshot 2023-04-14 at 7.40.57 AM.png

I got an alert from Indeed a couple of days ago for a flight instructor position at Blue Line. They announced a second location in you guessed it, Florida, after some lease disagreements with the airport in NC they currently operate out of. I noticed they still list the COVID jab not required in the job description.

In other news, 10 year pay for a CFI at their CFI academy is $190k.

View attachment 71104

Why not list it? If you're hard up for applicants and looking for workers, maybe it's worth mentioning in the advert?

Or do you think there are enough instructors out there that would say, "No way I'm not working around the unvaxxed I'd never work there!" "I'm not working for some caveman that doesn't require covid vax in 2023!" that it would be detrimental for their search?

Last edited:
Why not list it? If you're hard up for applicants and looking for workers, maybe it's worth mentioning in the advert?

Or do you think there are enough instructors out there that would say, "No way I'm not working around the unvaxxed I'd never work there!" "I'm not working for some caveman that doesn't require covid vax in 2023!" that it would be detrimental for their search?

IDK, I don't think people see the job posting and hesitate to apply because they aren't vaccinated. Candidly I thought of it more as a dogwhistle for the anti-vax crowd.

Back