Another MedEvac Helicopter Down

How sad
Isn't this number four in three years for this company?
This is their second this year and their third in three years. Interesting to me that, in the 20+ years under the old owners they never had a helicopter accident. AMHG buys them three years ago and they average one a year. And now CAMTS has announce that they will review EagleMed's certification.

Integris in Oklahoma City didn't renew their contract with EagleMed.
This doesn't surprise me but I'll bet it's not connected with the crash(s). This was a poorly written contract from the beginning, they were just waiting for it to end....

The crashed a fixed wing in 2004 due to fatigue, but considering the size of their fleet it is shocking.

The crashed a fixed wing in 2004 due to fatigue, but considering the size of their fleet it is shocking.
I'm not going to disagree but consider one crash is 23+ years isn't THAT bad (unless of course, you happen to be related to one of those killed). For an EMS-type operation.........

http://kfor.com/2013/06/13/agencies-take-a-closer-look-at-eaglemed-helicopters/

The helicopter pilot at a local OKC news station speculated that this flight may have been at/above gross, and I wonder why he would say that unless he knew.

"Bob Moore Chopper 4 pilot Jon Welsh says Tuesday night’s scene looks like a situation of possibly carrying too much weight and not realizing it until it was too late.

“It could have been a scenario that they just didn’t have power to clear the trees,” said Welsh. “Or in some of those you might just have to not accept the patient or sit there and burn more fuel until you`re down.”

The prelim isn't out yet.

I hope nothing ever happens to Jon Welsh. Somebody might decide what happened before the wreckage cools off.

I hope nothing ever happens to Jon Welsh. Somebody might decide what happened before the wreckage cools off.
no kidding, and I watched this guy the other week fly between two converging super cells to get "the shot." Even the anchor told himon the air he didn't like em being there.

This quote just killed EagleMed!
From the article above: “A hospital after two crashes that continues to contract with EagleMed, they open themselves up to liability to the victims of that crash,” said Blau. “A patient in an emergency doesn’t choose where he or she is injured or where he or she has an emergency so they are at the mercy of these hospitals.”

Hospitals have consistently fought efforts to open records on procedure outcomes, i.e., their success rate on appendectomies, quad bypasses, angioplasties. Not so with crashes involving the operators of their medevac aircraft.

no kidding, and I watched this guy the other week fly between two converging super cells to get "the shot." Even the anchor told himon the air he didn't like em being there.

Was that the same weatherman who told everyone to leave their homes and drive away from the storm?

This quote just killed EagleMed!
From the article above: “A hospital after two crashes that continues to contract with EagleMed, they open themselves up to liability to the victims of that crash,” said Blau. “A patient in an emergency doesn’t choose where he or she is injured or where he or she has an emergency so they are at the mercy of these hospitals.”

This quote just renamed Eaglemed...

"Bob Moore Chopper 4 pilot Jon Welsh says Tuesday night’s scene looks like a situation of possibly carrying too much weight and not realizing it until it was too late.

“It could have been a scenario that they just didn’t have power to clear the trees,” said Welsh. “Or in some of those you might just have to not accept the patient or sit there and burn more fuel until you`re down.”

These scenarios come down to technique. While it may be something you don't realize until some portion of the takeoff, the takeoff technique should be commensurate with the known obstacles and shouldn't allow it to ever be "too late" to realize that you can't get there from there, without leaving an opportunity to reset to square one.

Back