Another Colgan Rumor

Their CA rates are about the same. The dollar is weak right now, but I bet the CHQ guys where payed more the end of last year.

Take another look, their not close at all. Air Canada rates are significantly higher. On both sides, FO and CA.

Take another look, their not close at all. Air Canada rates are significantly higher. On both sides, FO and CA.

You can't compare a US flag carrier and what they pay to another flag carrier. Look at what our Legacies pay compared to British Airways, Air France and even Air Canada for wide body equipment. Colgan pilots are paid on average $10 less per hour (Captain) in comparable aircraft for US FLAG carriers.

As you can see, those are 50-seat airplanes, not 78-seat airplanes. We allow 50-seaters, because quite frankly, the company doesn't get any economic advantage from outsourcing that flying. That's why they stopped the outsourcing after only a few months. Our scope doesn't differentiate between props and jets, so anything with more than 70 seats is prohibited from being outsourced. If they want to strip the Q400 down to 69 seats, then they can do so, but they are also tightly limited on the number of block hours that they can outsource. Basically, the scope is tight enough where it makes it completely not worthwhile.

As you can see, those are 50-seat airplanes, not 78-seat airplanes. We allow 50-seaters, because quite frankly, the company doesn't get any economic advantage from outsourcing that flying. That's why they stopped the outsourcing after only a few months. Our scope doesn't differentiate between props and jets, so anything with more than 70 seats is prohibited from being outsourced. If they want to strip the Q400 down to 69 seats, then they can do so, but they are also tightly limited on the number of block hours that they can outsource. Basically, the scope is tight enough where it makes it completely not worthwhile.

I know..just being difficult while sitting ready reserve :D

I would not really blame colgan pilots if the RJ's start getting scrapped because of the Q400's. Fuel is so high that pilot costs are probably a fairly small part of the equation (all the more reason to demand a decent wage).

Instead I blame the ineptitude of regional airline managers for parking their turbopropos when it's obvious that demand for them is increasing. Then again, mainline partners would rather award new airframes to a "budget" operator like colgan than give them to an established regional partner like say ASA, expressjet, PSA, piedmont, comair, etc and I think pilot costs are one of the reasons for that. Mainline management is very shrewd and destroying bargaining power by regional pilots/airlines by playing the shrink-grow game. Your huge order this year become a fleet of scrapped airplanes next year.

Many regional airline managements seem to be arguing that they'd rather "focus" on a single RJ fleet type than deal with the added costs of a turboprop fleet.....what good does that do you if your focus is on a type rapidly descending into obseletion?

Daddy Delta I am sure can change that at their pleasure

Just for clarification, Colgan isn't always the lowest bidder. Secondly your company is bidding less for the flying than mainline pilots are being paid.

On the E-170 Air Canada pilots are making a lot more than you guys are. So I guess you are not making proper pay on comparable aircraft types either.

Like RJs have undercut mainline pilot contracts.

I wouldn't be so quick to point fingers at Colgan for 'undercutting' the industry. Not fair at all for us to be labeled that way, unless everyone looks in the mirror.

Fair enough Seggy. You're absolutely right. Mainline lost its scope and now management uses it so that regionals can fight over the scraps. Thats a clear example of whats happening here.

However, I would like for Colgan to stay right where they are up North or go invade somebody else's turf. Because you guys coming in here is taking money out our pocket, and as much as I love you Seggy and the other friends I got at Colgan, I like my money more. And Im sure you feel exactly the the same way. I would too if I was at Colgan. Every man for himself.

We often like to jump on here and start singing kumbaya and all that about uniting the regional pilot groups etc etc. Thats never going to happen fellas. Our companies compete against one another. The mainline guys cant pick all of us to do their flying. Its war out there. May the best or cheapest regional win....

Another Colgan rumor I heard today was the possibility of hiring in the near future which didn't make a whole lot of sense with the reductions this fall. However, I could see this being the case next year with the addition of more Q400's.

Another Colgan rumor I heard today was the possibility of hiring in the near future which didn't make a whole lot of sense with the reductions this fall. However, I could see this being the case next year with the addition of more Q400's.

For some reason I think every airline is going to be extremely shortstaffed come Christmas time...

I have heard from pretty much everyone that there wont be furloughs come November. There is still 200 hours of open time for Saab FOs for the rest of the month!

I have heard from a few people that if attrition continues the way it is, and we dont lose anymore flying to expect Colgan to be hiring come November. We run a damn lean ship.

So what are the chances they hold these new planes hostage? A union will mean a new contract. Do you think a majority of Colgan pilots will still vote alpa in knowing that they may not get the planes should they vote 'yes'?

So what are the chances they hold these new planes hostage? A union will mean a new contract. Do you think a majority of Colgan pilots will still vote alpa in knowing that they may not get the planes should they vote 'yes'?

Don't allow yourself, or anyone else for that matter, to fall for the oldest management trick in the book. If the deal has been signed, we'll get the planes regardless of what happens w/ contract negotiations. However, mgmt types would have you believe otherwise.

To reiterate:

Our getting Q's has absolutely NOTHING to do with the upcoming vote.

Vote YES to ALPA and improve the work rules at CJC.

I can't stress this enough. Do not allow fear-mongering to ruin OUR company. We need ALPA representation and having them on property will not affect getting more Q's on property.

:tmyk:

Food for rumot thought:

"Delta has also agreed that if Delta solicits requests for proposals to fly Delta Connection regional aircraft, ASA will be permitted to bid to maintain the same percentage of total Delta Connection regional jet flights that it operated during 2007, and, if ASA does not achieve the winning bid for the proposed flying, ASA will be permitted to match the terms of the winning bid to the extent necessary for ASA to maintain its percentage of Delta Connection regional jet flying that it operated during 2007."

Ref: page 15 Skywest 10-Q

I have heard from pretty much everyone that there wont be furloughs come November. There is still 200 hours of open time for Saab FOs for the rest of the month!

I have heard from a few people that if attrition continues the way it is, and we dont lose anymore flying to expect Colgan to be hiring come November. We run a damn lean ship.

Does that mean no downgrades either rob?

A CJC HR lady told me that until this month, they had a 50% attrition rate on the FO side for first year guys and that was a higher drop off than last year when other regionals and majors were hiring. She and a CJC captain said plainly that FO's could go bag groceries for more money and since there was no upgrade in sight they had no cause to stay. That doesn't sound shocking to me, but I was wondering if that was truly what CJC line pilots feel has been going on.

No Q's till mid 2010. the q's will be next gen ie bigger cabin and overheads. no mention who they will fly for. This ATL thing appears to have been just another retention rumor or morale rumor planted by management.

Whew! Thank goodness! Peace up, A-town down:)

Does that mean no downgrades either rob?

A CJC HR lady told me that until this month, they had a 50% attrition rate on the FO side for first year guys and that was a higher drop off than last year when other regionals and majors were hiring. She and a CJC captain said plainly that FO's could go bag groceries for more money and since there was no upgrade in sight they had no cause to stay. That doesn't sound shocking to me, but I was wondering if that was truly what CJC line pilots feel has been going on.

dunno bout fifty percent but it is waaay up there.

Back