Another Cape Air question

$30K will buy you a jet type rating.

Which is pretty damn useless at 500 or 800 hours. Would you rather CFI till you get to 1500 hours, or give Cape a year or so of your life, while getting some really good experience? And cape isn't requiring anyone to pay $30k, in fact they're paying you.

Well if you don't break the contract, it won't matter. I agree that it's a bad number, but I never go into a contract unless I intend to honor it. I'm sure the whole idea is to deter people from working there if they intend to leave before a year.

Well if you don't break the contract, it won't matter. I agree that it's a bad number, but I never go into a contract unless I intend to honor it. I'm sure the whole idea is to deter people from working there if they intend to leave before a year.

I think the whole idea is to cover their asses if they dump a bunch of money into people, and they take off 5 minutes after they get their ATP that someone else paid for so they can fly a j-j-j-j-j-j-JET. If you don't like it, go work at a pilot puppy mill doing touch and goes for 8 hours a day in the Florida heat while Yang sweats out his kimchi lunch.

All I'll say is you better have protections for yourself in the contract for unforeseen circumstances that would prevent you from completing your year.

I'd rather instruct up to 1500 personally, rather than be beholden to a company for a year. Oh and if you're trying to justify taking on 30k/a specified time in debt to someone because you're too lazy to instruct, bear in mind that instructing is not the only way to build time and valuable experience. I'm not going to give you a "this is how I did it" story, but I only instructed 450 hrs and it only got me to 750.

All this is to say I'd be super cautious when dealing with a company that requires any kind of contract that ties you financially to their operation. If that's the route you want to take then you better have 30k lying around or a good lawyer to look it over before signing.

Good luck.

Serious question: If you signed a training contract to a company and during the term of the contract the company heads to Chapter 7, could the creditors then attempt to collect on the remaining outstanding balances of the training contracts? Could get messy for Great Lakers.

Serious question: If you signed a training contract to a company and during the term of the contract the company heads to Chapter 7, could the creditors then attempt to collect on the remaining outstanding balances of the training contracts? Could get messy for Great Lakers.
Pilots don't think of such things, cause you know, when they take on a contract they intend to honor it and nothing bad could possibly happen.

Again, lawyer up with training contracts. I have no idea with your particular situation as I myself am not a lawyer :)

Pilots don't think of such things, cause you know, when they take on a contract they intend to honor it and nothing bad could possibly happen.

Again, lawyer up with training contracts. I have no idea with your particular situation as I myself am not a lawyer :)

I'm 1.5 years past the end of my contract so I'm good, it was just a thought I had.

You aren't breaking the contract if you leave early and pay. That's why the number should be fair. I did in house training in a Metroliner and the contract wasn't much over 12k. There are always unforseen circumstances. I haven't seen this contract, but does it have provisions if they unilaterally change the scope of your employment? Does it cover the unforseen loss of a medical or ability to do the job? Do you have to pay if you get furloughed or let go? Saying you are planning to stay doesn't really protect you from a bad contract.

Also, from what I understand, FOs are routinely bumped from flights, so your progression may be delayed quite a bit from the luck of the draw. You may sign on the dotted line thinking you will only be an FO for 6-7 months and then a year as a captain, and you could end up doubling that.

Last edited:
I was wondering the same thing about losing a medical, etc.
I can completely understand them requiring a training contract, it's pretty much the norm in this industry, but I wish it wasn't 30k. I'm guessing they made it so high to scare off the people who are not intending to stay in the first place, and so that it's higher than the sign on bonuses that the regionals are offering right now.

It would be nice if someone who's seen the contract would weigh in.

I was wondering the same thing about losing a medical, etc.
I can completely understand them requiring a training contract, it's pretty much the norm in this industry, but I wish it wasn't 30k. I'm guessing they made it so high to scare off the people who are not intending to stay in the first place, and so that it's higher than the sign on bonuses that the regionals are offering right now.

It would be nice if someone who's seen the contract would weigh in.
Nothing normal about training contracts anymore... I'm ashamed that my alma mater would start requiring one, especially for $30,000! Used to be such a great place to work.

So here's a new question that about Cape that I have. I've heard that some bases in P.R. will not sell more than 8 seats in the 402. Are there any bases in the States that have that same rule? With this rule in place the FO will never get bumped.

So here's a new question that about Cape that I have. I've heard that some bases in P.R. will not sell more than 8 seats in the 402. Are there any bases in the States that have that same rule? With this rule in place the FO will never get bumped.

Some of the Montana bases would do this. But it's for weight considerations. So the FO could still get bumped.

I am currently an FO at Cape Air and i can assure anyone thinking of coming here that it is a great place to work and get experience. Right now there are some changes happening in the company and it is effecting a lot of people and many have strong opinions about it. But you also have to understand, as an outsider looking in, it is easy to judge.

Also, the IMPORTANT thing to know is they are blocking out seats for FO.

Back