Amflight B1900/B99 D.E.C.?

I know I'll be continuously accused of being an AMF cheerleader by saying this, but has AMF ever HURT anyone's career? At least those that made it through without failure or incidents/accidents? ...

Well if you consider that most will end up at a 121 carrier, then the potential (or actual) loss in seniority could be construed as hurting your career. All my AMF buds that have called me about making the jump and are indecisive about, I remind them that they're just forfeiting a seniority number that will equate to better QOL, sooner.

I'm truly happy that you're happy. And in some respects I envy your situation because it does seem like you're comfortable. That said, I'm much more comfortable where I am now making a living wage after just 1 year that was only marginally worse than AMF... AND we're looking a sizeable pay increase very soon which is awesome. My per diem and overtime even at this pay rate make it a much better deal than AMF.

I only wish I had just skipped AMF and come here. I mean, because of AMF I've had to become friends with weirdos like @Inverted :D

I know I'll be continuously accused of being an AMF cheerleader by saying this, but has AMF ever HURT anyone's career? At least those that made it through without failure or incidents/accidents? .

That is the point, amf has an inexcusable number of good pilots experiencing one of those three things.

Well if you consider that most will end up at a 121 carrier, then the potential (or actual) loss in seniority could be construed as hurting your career. All my AMF buds that have called me about making the jump and are indecisive about, I remind them that they're just forfeiting a seniority number that will equate to better QOL, sooner.

I'm truly happy that you're happy. And in some respects I envy your situation because it does seem like you're comfortable. That said, I'm much more comfortable where I am now making a living wage after just 1 year that was only marginally worse than AMF... AND we're looking a sizeable pay increase very soon which is awesome. My per diem and overtime even at this pay rate make it a much better deal than AMF.

I only wish I had just skipped AMF and come here. I mean, because of AMF I've had to become friends with weirdos like @Inverted :D
True, I just wouldn't have it any other way at this point. Freight is a cast of characters from the worst movie ever! :)

Like alluded to earlier. My contract is up in July and my flight time is worth more than what AMF is willing to pay. I'll be out. I just hope my badgering gets me somewhere descent.

True, I just wouldn't have it any other way at this point. Freight is a cast of characters from the worst movie ever! :)

Like alluded to earlier. My contract is up in July and my flight time is worth more than what AMF is willing to pay. I'll be out. I just hope my badgering gets me somewhere descent.

That's the second time you've used "badger" in this thread. ;)

qq7HlM7.gif

I know I'll be continuously accused of being an AMF cheerleader by saying this, but has AMF ever HURT anyone's career?

This is subjective. There are a multitude of factors at play. I am sure, in the history of AMF, that somebody was told they wouldn't be getting a job because of them working there. I work with a guy flying Lears, who was rejected by every major 121 airline back when the flood gates were open and everyone was leaving. He did 30 years at AMF, and even bought a 737 type over 20 years ago. Nobody would hire him, did the fact he was at AMF have something to do with it? Maybe, who knows? I don't think any person in charge of hiring has ever come out publicly to say they would not hire anyone from AMF. There are a bunch of 135 freight operators that carry great reputations so in that regard I don't think AMF stands above the others in that sense. AMF may hinder, stagnate or hurt your career depending on where you want to go in your career. If you want to fly freight, AMF is a great base to go fly 121 freight somewhere. What also is a great base to fly 121 freight, ANY 121 flying... I have said it before, if 121 is your one track, and you have no desire to do ANYTHING else, then AMF is doing nothing for you. It certainly isn't going to give you a leg up for going to a major 121 operator. Majors are hiring, United, Virgin, JetBlue, Alaska etc etc are all hiring. AMF guys aren't getting calls, so why would that be? UAL is hiring 400 a year for the foreseeable future, you would think a couple guys would get snagged right? 5 guys out of 400 isn't a crazy ratio, but it isn't happening.

AMF, and 135 freight gives fantastic skills to throw on a resume, and I don't think anyone would, nor should look down on that time when looking at a resume. But the relevance those skills have vary with the jobs you are trying to get. Why would a 121 operator not hire a previous 121 pilot, and hire a 135 pilot? There are still tons of guys who are filled to the gills with the kool aid that believe they are more desirable than a regional 121 captain, I fail to see the common sense in that.

That is my long-winded explanation of how AMF, or other 135 freight jobs "can" hurt your career. The answer is, it depends. I won't be taking it off the resume anytime soon, I earned it, but I don't think it helped my chances of going to a 121 major. In that regard, it hurt my career more than going to a regional.

During my AmFlight indoc, I shared a classroom with three incoming captains who were assigned either the 1900 or the Metro. The reason for their direct entry was turbine experience - both 121 and 135. Incoming CFI's went to the Navajo while some lower time applicants were hired as SIC on the EMB120. It's true that the training process is rigorous, but only for the truly unprepared.

If you bring something to the table, and remain open to domicile placement, it isn't impossible to negotiate your equipment - Sheri is very accommodating. Sell yourself; the worst that could happen is having to work your way into a quick upgrade.

During my AmFlight indoc, I shared a classroom with three incoming captains who were assigned either the 1900 or the Metro. The reason for their direct entry was turbine experience - both 121 and 135. Incoming CFI's went to the Navajo while some lower time applicants were hired as SIC on the EMB120. It's true that the training process is rigorous, but only for the truly unprepared.

If you bring something to the table, and remain open to domicile placement, it isn't impossible to negotiate your equipment - Sheri is very accommodating. Sell yourself; the worst that could happen is having to work your way into a quick upgrade.

Oh sure, it's all pretty great. Until you get tired of it. How long have you been there? Don't be surprised when you end up at a regional... maybe.

There was a time when the short time pain of AMF had long term benefits. But I don't know if it's true anymore. It's like knowing kung fu in the era of firearms- yes we all respect the skill and basic fundamentals of combat, but ultimately the guy that knows how to shoot a gun has more value on the battlefield now.

Fortunately the AMF pilot group is small enough and the new ATP req's at the 121 carriers means that AMF won't have to offer any better incentives in terms of pay or QOL in order to meet staffing requirements. But I promise you that the failure and turnover rates aren't going to be changing any time soon. That statistic is an indication that most pilots aren't happy there for any appreciable length of time.

Why shouldn't America's biggest 135 cargo company try harder to retain pilots and keep them happy? I think that's a legitimate question.

This is subjective. There are a multitude of factors at play. I am sure, in the history of AMF, that somebody was told they wouldn't be getting a job because of them working there. I work with a guy flying Lears, who was rejected by every major 121 airline back when the flood gates were open and everyone was leaving. He did 30 years at AMF, and even bought a 737 type over 20 years ago. Nobody would hire him, did the fact he was at AMF have something to do with it? Maybe, who knows? I don't think any person in charge of hiring has ever come out publicly to say they would not hire anyone from AMF. There are a bunch of 135 freight operators that carry great reputations so in that regard I don't think AMF stands above the others in that sense. AMF may hinder, stagnate or hurt your career depending on where you want to go in your career. If you want to fly freight, AMF is a great base to go fly 121 freight somewhere. What also is a great base to fly 121 freight, ANY 121 flying... I have said it before, if 121 is your one track, and you have no desire to do ANYTHING else, then AMF is doing nothing for you. It certainly isn't going to give you a leg up for going to a major 121 operator. Majors are hiring, United, Virgin, JetBlue, Alaska etc etc are all hiring. AMF guys aren't getting calls, so why would that be? UAL is hiring 400 a year for the foreseeable future, you would think a couple guys would get snagged right? 5 guys out of 400 isn't a crazy ratio, but it isn't happening.

AMF, and 135 freight gives fantastic skills to throw on a resume, and I don't think anyone would, nor should look down on that time when looking at a resume. But the relevance those skills have vary with the jobs you are trying to get. Why would a 121 operator not hire a previous 121 pilot, and hire a 135 pilot? There are still tons of guys who are filled to the gills with the kool aid that believe they are more desirable than a regional 121 captain, I fail to see the common sense in that.

That is my long-winded explanation of how AMF, or other 135 freight jobs "can" hurt your career. The answer is, it depends. I won't be taking it off the resume anytime soon, I earned it, but I don't think it helped my chances of going to a 121 major. In that regard, it hurt my career more than going to a regional.
Oh trust me. I'm not one of the ones with those delusions. I came here to get some quick turbine time "Just in case". Not for a short cut. That and both times(after survey and FLX) I had time to give the regionals a go, they either weren't hiring, or the ones that were, were in awful shape or demanding time I didn't have yet. PR worked out like I wanted it to, so there's that as well.

Last edited:
Oh sure, it's all pretty great. Until you get tired of it. How long have you been there? Don't be surprised when you end up at a regional... maybe.

There was a time when the short time pain of AMF had long term benefits. But I don't know if it's true anymore. It's like knowing kung fu in the era of firearms- yes we all respect the skill and basic fundamentals of combat, but ultimately the guy that knows how to shoot a gun has more value on the battlefield now.

Fortunately the AMF pilot group is small enough and the new ATP req's at the 121 carriers means that AMF won't have to offer any better incentives in terms of pay or QOL in order to meet staffing requirements. But I promise you that the failure and turnover rates aren't going to be changing any time soon. That statistic is an indication that most pilots aren't happy there for any appreciable length of time.

Why shouldn't America's biggest 135 cargo company try harder to retain pilots and keep them happy? I think that's a legitimate question.

Unfortunately, I was let go before my check-ride. Let's just say my driving record was a tad worse than I assumed going in and that makes lawyers uneasy. Lesson learned.

With that I can't offer any educational retort to your query, but conversations with those in my class alluded to their overall disdain towards the 121 world, an explanation for the switch. I prefer to remain neutral in this arena.

From an HR standpoint, however, I can't imagine a recruiter dismissing a candidate with quality, single-pilot IFR experience, especially with a turbine strapped to their back. Airlines don't look to hire people with dreams of right-seat stagnation, they want captain material. The aforementioned provides a tough flight environment which serves to develop excellent command decisions and airmanship, though transition to a shared flight deck might require a little "getting used to."

I suppose I would have to see hard statistics supporting the claims being made in order to form an opinion, though the only purpose of my post was to answer the genesis question.

Oh trust me. I'm not one of the ones with those delusions. I came here to get some quick turbine time "Just in case". Not for a short cut. That and both times(after survey and FLX) I had time to give the regionals a go, they either weren't hiring, or the ones that were, were in awful shape or demanding time I didn't have yet. PR worked out like I wanted it to, so there's that as well.

I wanted AMF as well and don't regret it one bit. It was my ticket to multi turbine which is what I wanted, and it helped me getting into private jets which is what I wanted. I am grateful for that for sure. In fact I wouldn't change a thing. But my goal wasn't, and still isn't 121. Not to say I have ruled it out because I haven't, but for me, making an assload of money to fly jets for a fantastic 91 company excites me way more than any 121 major.

From an HR standpoint, however, I can't imagine a recruiter dismissing a candidate with quality, single-pilot IFR experience, especially with a turbine strapped to their back. Airlines don't look to hire people with dreams of right-seat stagnation, they want captain material. The aforementioned provides a tough flight environment which serves to develop excellent command decisions and airmanship, though transition to a shared flight deck might require a little "getting used to."

My was never that AMF looks bad on a resume. It looks great because it shows that you can be trained and fly to a professional standard. But beyond that, not much else. And the fact remains that most AMF pilots will go to a regional having forfeited seniority that they could have been accumulating from the date they were hired at AMF.

It's all flying, there just happens to be a very quanitifiable difference in the QOL.

My was never that AMF looks bad on a resume. It looks great because it shows that you can be trained and fly to a professional standard. But beyond that, not much else. And the fact remains that most AMF pilots will go to a regional having forfeited seniority that they could have been accumulating from the date they were hired at AMF.

It's all flying, there just happens to be a very quanitifiable difference in the QOL.

I don't believe that most AMF pilots go to a regional. Most go air ambulance or corporate. Lots of newbies who've only flown for the company up to a year and a half may leave for the regional.

I don't believe that most AMF pilots go to a regional. Most go air ambulance or corporate. Lots of newbies who've only flown for the company up to a year and a half may leave for the regional.

I have seen guys with 3 years in or less go regional. Some with much more go to the regionals but I think that is probably only a few people. I think the guys who drink the Kool aid, and who want to be in the 121 world, see very quickly that AMF has no pull or advantage to go to the majors, and they leave. At least that has been the feeling I get from friends who have done that. The sooner reality sets in, the sooner they leave if it doesn't fit with their end career goals.

. The sooner reality sets in, the sooner they leave if it doesn't fit with their end career goals.

Bingo. Now I've been doing this flying for a living thing for over a decade and I've stopped trying to have a specific long term career goal beyond just fly airplanes and enjoy life. For me, AMF only really accomplished 1 of those. It's hard to be optimistic and cheerful when you're loading your airplane in a downpour, in the dark, at a podunk airport in a podunk town you've been sitting at all day, knowing that when you get home you'll have to go straight to bed to do it all again at 6am the next day.

I like my 12 to 16 hour layovers at nice, clean hotels in bigger cities with actual coworkers who are happy. Your results may vary.

A big reason I came to AMF is that I still don't know where I want to end up long term in aviation other than more money, more time off. After a year or two here I can still go either corporate or 121. Now I'm leaning towards going corporate or charter next, and maybe eventually leaving that for a legacy depending on how things look when that time comes.

For now, back to my reduced rest in a crappy motel in the Texas panhandle.

A big reason I came to AMF is that I still don't know where I want to end up long term in aviation other than more money, more time off. After a year or two here I can still go either corporate or 121. Now I'm leaning towards going corporate or charter next, and maybe eventually leaving that for a legacy depending on how things look when that time comes.

For now, back to my reduced rest in a crappy motel in the Texas panhandle.
You in Lubbock?

Back