Ameriflight memories, trauma

Fair enough. Hell, the place had plenty of problems when I was there. I could start a whole thread. I'm just saying I don't think it is (or at least was) as bad as you seem to portray it. Looking back on it, I think it was even less dysfunctional than the frac I flew for at times. Everywhere has it's fair share of BS.

How long were you there and what did you fly?

I was there just over year on the Chieftain. I got offered a 99 about 9 months in, but by that time I knew I didn't want to be there anymore and wasn't interested in any additional commitment.

I don't deny that every employer has some level of BS, but as I've said time and again around these parts, my issue with AMF was the lack of growth. I saw what I perceived to be one of the best 135 cargo companies in the country not even attempting to compete with some backwater operation that was doing a shocking amount of UPS work in our region.

I saw a company that was treating its pilots almost like a pest and doing the absolute minimum to take care of our comfort on the layover. I had to bargain with our base manager to very basic crap fixed on the crew car a couple of times... to say nothing of the crew apartments themselves. At this moment I'm laying over at an Embassy Suites that offers our airline's crews free drink coupons for happy hour. Oh and of course there's free wifi (come on, AMF). It's the little things that can make a surprising difference in your overall happiness when you're in this line of work. It doesn't take much because lord knows that most of us genuinely enjoy the work itself.

Your post brings up many safety concerns. Many of us can and do high speed approaches to perfect flight idle godliness, can taxi and dial in none essential freqs, but should we? Especially in the name of company on time performance.

No sir. I disagree.

There are times that it is safely able to be done and times you learn not to or should not.... Taxiing a chieftain down a straight 75' wide parallel taxiway on a retired military base that is now a GF airport you are unable to reach up and dial in a VOR frequency with no reading of a chart due to knowledge with proper company SOP followed on the before takeoff brief by verifying your settings (time saving not having to tune, only cross check). Realizing that doing this while taxiing through snow on a BFE small airport with 30' wide taxiways is a greater risk and your full attention must be outside is called judgment.

This type of flying, in these aircraft bring a higher risk than other types of aviation jobs, you have to manage the risk while working within the regs/sop's/comfort to get the job done as efficiently as possible. Each person, depending on their experience level and time doing the job in that equipment will be able to utilize that equipment to maximize the potential.

At this moment I'm laying over at an Embassy Suites that offers our airline's crews free drink coupons for happy hour. Oh and of course there's free wifi (come on, AMF). It's the little things that can make a surprising difference in your overall happiness when you're in this line of work. It doesn't take much because lord knows that most of us genuinely enjoy the work itself.

Managers receptions at Embassy Suites is the best!

Seriously though, this was always the hardest for me to understand. How do you stick 6 people in a 2 bedroom apartment for 10 hours with literally nothing more than basic electricity?

I was there just over year on the Chieftain. I got offered a 99 about 9 months in, but by that time I knew I didn't want to be there anymore and wasn't interested in any additional commitment.

I don't deny that every employer has some level of BS, but as I've said time and again around these parts, my issue with AMF was the lack of growth. I saw what I perceived to be one of the best 135 cargo companies in the country not even attempting to compete with some backwater operation that was doing a shocking amount of UPS work in our region.

I saw a company that was treating its pilots almost like a pest and doing the absolute minimum to take care of our comfort on the layover. I had to bargain with our base manager to very basic crap fixed on the crew car a couple of times... to say nothing of the crew apartments themselves. At this moment I'm laying over at an Embassy Suites that offers our airline's crews free drink coupons for happy hour. Oh and of course there's free wifi (come on, AMF). It's the little things that can make a surprising difference in your overall happiness when you're in this line of work. It doesn't take much because lord knows that most of us genuinely enjoy the work itself.

Understood. Again I don't disagree but I will say that things varied greatly between bases. I'm assuming you were at OAK. I only did tdy there twice in the PA31 and found it to be my least favorite base by far. As a reference, during my time there I spent time at BUR, OAK, PDX, SLC, BFI, PHX, BIL, and CVG and flew the PA31, 99, and Metro.

Each base was kind of its own little microcosm and QOL-type things you're talking about largely depended on the local management.

I do agree with you about them being very lax about competition but I always assumed it was because we had as much business as we could handle as it was.

This type of flying, in these aircraft bring a higher risk than other types of aviation jobs, you have to manage the risk while working within the regs/sop's/comfort to get the job done as efficiently as possible. Each person, depending on their experience level and time doing the job in that equipment will be able to utilize that equipment to maximize the potential.

I am still convinced that there is no such thing as a 135 flight that was completed violation free. This goes for all of 135 not just AMF.

Ya ok. 135.157 is always complied with. I know I always wear my mask. I just heard others don't.

What, exactly, does that have to do with AMF? Or Part 135 at all for that matter?

People choosing not to comply with certain rules and the ability to conduct a flight entirely within them are two very different things. But I think you know that and are just being obtuse.

What, exactly, does that have to do with AMF? Or Part 135 at all for that matter?

People choosing not to comply with certain rules and the ability to conduct a flight entirely within them are two very different things. But I think you know that and are just being obtuse.

I was responding to managing risk, and how there is really no such thing as a perfect flight.

There is and never will be a violation free flight, 251 seen on the airspeed indicator passing through 9999... ding here's your violation.... Did you say something about the rude pax or line guy or whatever below 10K, ding.... violation... Did you sump your jet's fuel tanks??? Ding... Violation......

It is about managing risk within the operation and the company's SOP's but knowing how to utilize various regulations/OPS-Spec's to be within the letter of the law to maximize potential.

Ever do a contact approach at Ameriflight, it's a complex OPS-Spec to follow but a useful tool when you know how to utilize it.

I've always wondered what the department of public health and safety would say about the crew quarters living situation.

Yeah, BUT:
1237185_10100679863779625_1626982464_o.jpg

1276285_10100666655603915_1743984022_o.jpg
'
:D

I am still convinced that there is no such thing as a 135 flight that was completed violation free. This goes for all of 135 not just AMF.
Eh, I've heard enough stories across the board. 91, 135, 121. Everyone plays the same games. At the very least, when it comes to getting home.

Playing devil's advocate mostly...

You guys are spot on though with the gripes. Arguably, there's some things that are even worse in PR. We're left on our own on these islands/countries. In the worst way too. Not just customs/ATC stuff, that I actually like since I'd have to deal with that anyways if I were to do a part 91 job. But, maintenance write-ups in Venezuela for example? Lets just say, short of the wings or engines falling off. I'm NEVER writing up an airplane there ever, ever again while working for AMF. Not until that aspect changes. There's talk that dispatch/management will do more in those situations and a few others, but I'm not holding my breath.

Anyways, it's been polled a few times what it would take to get people to stay. Our turnover this year is record setting. 60k for Metro pay would probably only give me enough incentive to stay for one more year, and I bet any raise would only bring that figure to 50k. Freight just sucks... Knew that going in though. It's a place to get some flight time, diversify your resume for other operations, and GTFO. Always has been. I personally have very little intention of staying past 1500 TPIC, which is two years total in freight.

Last edited:
There is and never will be a violation free flight, 251 seen on the airspeed indicator passing through 9999... ding here's your violation.... Did you say something about the rude pax or line guy or whatever below 10K, ding.... violation... Did you sump your jet's fuel tanks??? Ding... Violation......

It is about managing risk within the operation and the company's SOP's but knowing how to utilize various regulations/OPS-Spec's to be within the letter of the law to maximize potential.

Ever do a contact approach at Ameriflight, it's a complex OPS-Spec to follow but a useful tool when you know how to utilize it.
This is why I'll always be an advocate for freight guys over all others. Everything is all on you and I believe that is a good perspective to gain and carry with you. Even if it's not in other operations. Arguably, in some aspects, that is why freight kind of sucks... :)

There are three things you need to ask yourself before doing something

Is it smart?
Is it safe?
Is it legal?

If you answer no to any of those then don't do it. Yes it seems obvious but sometimes we don't really think about something like this till it is too late.

I know I did a lot of stuff at AMF where I answered no to the first two questions after the fact and once they tried to stretch the third.

AMF 723 was the most dangerous flight you could do at AMF in regards to fatigue. If you had a hint of a headwind you could not run on time and would constantly block 8+ hours overnight with nothing more than a 25 minute break. This isn't counting the fact that all boxes behind you are radioactive. All single pilot of course since glow flight are min crew only.

Back