Ameriflight Duty Day

It really does vary upon location. Typical showtimes could be 4-7am, and end time can be 6pm to 9pm.

The early show times are usually paired with the later end times. You get your rest at the outstation.

The only real difference is CVG and SDF bases and they are 7-10pm to 8-11 am. This is because they run into UPS and DHL's major hubs.

The only real difference is CVG and SDF bases and they are 7-10pm to 8-11 am. This is because they run into UPS and DHL's major hubs.

Especially for the glow flight runs. Show at 8PM, be up all night and then fly up to the Northeast the next morning. If the weather is bad and have to divert, you are easily pushing the 16 hour limit. Then comes the lovely idea from dispatch that since this leg is 91, you can exceed the 16 hour limit even though you are dead tired. If that's the case, get a hotel.

Especially for the glow flight runs. Show at 8PM, be up all night and then fly up to the Northeast the next morning. If the weather is bad and have to divert, you are easily pushing the 16 hour limit. Then comes the lovely idea from dispatch that since this leg is 91, you can exceed the 16 hour limit even though you are dead tired. If that's the case, get a hotel.
I assure you its not just the glow flights that routinely push and exceed the duty limits.
I have flown 16 hours hobbs pt 91, 7+ 135 pax, but never have I been more tired than scheduled 135 freight.

Lots of chest thumping gets fatiguing?
It's the weight of the sheer awesomeness. It gets fatiguing to carry around.

Or when I got asked to falsify my duty time and not get my deserved 10 hours of rest. :aghast:
I was never asked that. In fact I had an airplane break at an intermediate stop on the way back one night. Airplane came to get me and the cargo. Probably made for like a 20 hour day. They just said, go get 11 hours and show up for reserve when you're able, and we both knew showing up for reserve that late in the day consisted of showing my face, BS with the flight coordinator a bit and going home again so they could justify paying me for the day.
It's certainly not all bad, and I've had the ACPs I worked for help me out with things, same with the pilots.

Or when I got asked to falsify my duty time and not get my deserved 10 hours of rest. :aghast:

Wow. I would have called the chief pilot AND Gary Richards if they tried to pull that crap with me. AMF offered nothing that could even remotely offset that kind of abuse. On the other hand, I know enough macho freight dogs that would take that and then brag to everyone about how hardcore their life is.

Reactions: jrh
Wow. I would have called the chief pilot AND Gary Richards if they tried to pull that crap with me. AMF offered nothing that could even remotely offset that kind of abuse. On the other hand, I know enough macho freight dogs that would take that and then brag to everyone about how hardcore their life is.
They do exist. Personally I always put every time down truthfully. I really don't understand why someone would put them self in a dangerous position just to save the company some money. It just isn't worth the risk.

Back