Ameriflight Duty Day

AMF's typical schedule is an early AM show, fly to an outstation, layover for 4-10 hrs (varies greatly between runs around the system), then fly back to the base town in the PM. This is the typical "feeder" schedule that most of AMF's bank and UPS runs subscribe to.

The most common AMF run services UPS and the "feeder" schedule services their big jets. In the AM, UPS's jet will fly into the big base city with cargo for AMFers. AMF's will load up and take this cargo out to smaller outstation cities and then stay there until the evening. In the PM, after all the UPS pickups have occurred in the small cities, the drivers will bring the cargo out to the airport, load you up, and you will fly the cargo back to the big city that evening. Once you get there, they will take your cargo, load up the big jet, and it'll fly into SDF to be sorted and the whole process starts all over again the next day. The biggest variable in the schedule is when the jets you are providing service for are scheduled to arrive / depart the base cities. This will determine your show times, layover times, etc.

Some runs with extremely long layovers will require you to get rest in the outstation city during the day and you are technically "on-duty" overnight. Some runs also provide Saturday service to some outstations that require the airplane to stay in the outstation over the weekend. Most of these runs are what AMFers call "outstations" where the pilot actually lives in the outstation town instead of the base city.

As to the rest issue, I have NEVER had a problem with rest rules at AMF whatsoever. When assigned a trip with a 91 leg that will exceed your duty/flight time limitations, if it is going OUT to PICKUP cargo, that is considered duty and cannot exceed FAR limitations. If the 91 leg is to return to the pilot's home ("tail end" 91 leg), then that is legal ONLY if (1) you are ok with it and (2) with the permission of the Chief Pilot / VP Flight Ops. This does happen from time to time and some schedules do have a built in 91 leg home however, THE COMPANY CANNOT ASSIGN YOU THIS LEG...it is only IF YOU WANT TO OR NOT and if can only be a 91 leg back to the pilot's home (domicile) The company cannot force you to do it. This is explicitly outlined in the company's procedures. Some schedules that have this type of leg over and over will show it as part of the scheduled run but they CANNOT ASSIGN YOU TO DO IT if you are over your duty requirements.

Again, as a former AMF pilot, I have never had any intentional company-related problems with rest/duty rules. If you know the rules and say something if you see a problem, you will never have a problem. Sometimes a scheduling error will occur or a dispatcher might not know the rules you are governed by to the T but in the end, you are the responsible party anyways so know the rules, and you'll be just fine.

The FAA has probably already hired Chloe O'Brian from 24 to cross reference IP addresses with pilot addresses to track down the offenders...
But will she visit the offenders?

2010-01-22_Mary_Lynn_Rajskub.jpg

mmannfol
So who in management is this one?
You can be upset or you can clean up the house.
Clean it up or pilot retention will only get worse.

??? not sure I understand your posting

If you're talking to me in your post ("@") but referring to me in the 3rd person ("Who...is this one"), then no, I am not / was never in management at Ameriflight. I am no longer at Ameriflight. I was simply explaining my experiences at AMF while I was there.

To that end, I flew mainly UPS stuff but I also flew a lot of charter flights as well. Doing those flights is where you are most likely to run into duty issues and the like so I have had quite a bit of exposure to them. Doing charter work for AMF is a whole different world compared to the normal schedule. Flying the normal schedule can become very VERY mundane and repetitive so flying charter flights when able is a great way to break up the repetition that wears on you after a while.

??? not sure I understand your posting

If you're talking to me in your post ("@") but referring to me in the 3rd person ("Who...is this one"), then no, I am not / was never in management at Ameriflight. I am no longer at Ameriflight. I was simply explaining my experiences at AMF while I was there.

To that end, I flew mainly UPS stuff but I also flew a lot of charter flights as well. Doing those flights is where you are most likely to run into duty issues and the like so I have had quite a bit of exposure to them. Doing charter work for AMF is a whole different world compared to the normal schedule. Flying the normal schedule can become very VERY mundane and repetitive so flying charter flights when able is a great way to break up the repetition that wears on you after a while.

Unfortunately when you are constantly low on working planes charters don't happen.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

2 questions re: AMF. Firstly, are pilots responsible for loading and off-loading the freight? I know FedEx feeders are required NOT to touch the freight. But I have seen some freight pilots having to load/unload. (ridiculous in my mind - we're paid to FLY, not be freight slingers, but anyway...)
Secondly.. what are some of the jobs AMFers have moved on to, typically? Airlines? Or does the lack of crew-environment disqualify you? other 135 stuff, corporate, etc?

Back