American Eagle @ Flight Safety?

You guys have GOT to stop comparing these "accelerated" programs to military training. There is no comparison other than low total flight hours.

Military pilots are in training for approx two years before joining a squadron (not 6 months). When they join the first squadron, I'm pretty sure they don't walk in the door saying they are as experienced as their "experienced" squadron mates.

50 hours in a RJ sim reciting prefab SOPs does NOT make you experienced. It makes you a Parrot that can recite SOPs from rote. After reading some of the quotes from RJ pilots on another board, it is apparent many of them still have no clue what they are doing after 1000 hrs of jet time. Very scary.

[ QUOTE ]
I may be wrong in what I stated since I have barely any flight experience but I still think it comes down to how you are trained.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be wrong but I think it comes down to flight experience. When you get some you'll understand what I mean. Not knocking quality training which is important for sure but there is no replacement for experience...for having been there.

A candidate from the ASA program has probably never shot an approach outside of the state of FL. Probably has a grand total of 5 hrs. of actual IFR in their logbook...and you're telling me that they will be an assett on the flight deck in a crew environment because of training?

As for your comment regarding going to college, I disagree. You go to college to increase your earning potential and make yourself a more qualified candidate and a more well rounded person. My point was why spend the extra money when you don't have to. You can get PAID to gain EXPERIENCE while instructing or something like it. Sounds like laziness and entitlement to me.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I may be wrong in what I stated since I have barely any flight experience but I still think it comes down to how you are trained.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be wrong but I think it comes down to flight experience. When you get some you'll understand what I mean. Not knocking quality training which is important for sure but there is no replacement for experience...for having been there.

A candidate from the ASA program has probably never shot an approach outside of the state of FL. Probably has a grand total of 5 hrs. of actual IFR in their logbook...and you're telling me that they will be an assett on the flight deck in a crew environment because of training?

As for your comment regarding going to college, I disagree. You go to college to increase your earning potential and make yourself a more qualified candidate and a more well rounded person. My point was why spend the extra money when you don't have to. You can get PAID to gain EXPERIENCE while instructing or something like it. Sounds like laziness and entitlement to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said I barely have any flight experience, not that I didn't have any. My experience was from long ago (I soloed in 1995) and now I am considering going back and starting all over again.

Regarding how somebody is trained, apparently, ASA agrees with me. lol
grin.gif

"Laziness and entitlement". Ok, so somebody is supposed to feel bad about saving up enough money to do what they want, just because somebody else can't? Sorry, I don't think so. I am married and my wife has a very good job and is nothing but supportive. I guess I am lazy and "entitled"? Sorry, try again. Is everybody who can afford FSA considered lazy and entitled by you? I hope not, that would be pretty sad if you think that way.

You should be happy. The more guys that go into that program the less guys there are taking flight instructor jobs that you want. When I get to that point, I'd be ecstatic too have either opportunity. I could care less how somebody else accomplishes their goals. If it works for them and makes them happy then I say great! I'll take whatever path is open to me when the time arrives. I would consider myself lucky to get either opportunity, some people never get the chance to experience flying at all. IMO, flying is a win-win, no matter how you go about doing it.
smile.gif

Cav, the college comment was sarcasm. I wasn't aware I had to put the "sarcasm" emoticon after the sentence to convey it. My apologies. However, while college does increase your earning potential, you still often making very little out of the gates. Same with flying. That was the connection I was trying to make.

Hope this clarifies things.
smile.gif

P.S. I tried to add a "sarcasm" emoticon to the end of my reply before this one in the "Laziness and entitlement" section, but I was unable to edit my post (out of edit time or something along those lines). I hope you don't take any offense as none was intended.

"I could care less how somebody else accomplishes their goals. If it works for them and makes them happy then I say great!"

So....paying for a job, like the way Gulfstream does it, is okay with you?

If a guy want's to spend 50K to have a shot at ASA with 300 hours, then that's his business. Personally, I don't think he has the experience to be in the right seat of an RJ, but that's just me talking, not ASA recruiting (thank Gawd I won't ever have to fly with them).

Other than my Mesa buddy that I recommended and later got hired at UPS, airline recruiters have never asked my opinion. ASA seems to be happy with hiring CFI's, FSI grads, and even CAPT grads. I hear they are hiring at 600/100 these days, anyhow, so it's sort of a moot point, as a guy could easily get his CFI ratings for a lot less money and spend half a year instructing to meet the higher mins. If your point is that CAPT and ASA put out a better product than a guy who has some CFI time, then why is ASA still hiring from the CFI ranks? Personally, I think ASA is so desperate for pilots they are looking for warm bodies at this point.

[ QUOTE ]
"I could care less how somebody else accomplishes their goals. If it works for them and makes them happy then I say great!"

So....paying for a job, like the way Gulfstream does it, is okay with you?

If a guy want's to spend 50K to have a shot at ASA with 300 hours, then that's his business. Personally, I don't think he has the experience to be in the right seat of an RJ, but that's just me talking, not ASA recruiting (thank Gawd I won't ever have to fly with them).

Other than my Mesa buddy that I recommended and later got hired at UPS, airline recruiters have never asked my opinion. ASA seems to be happy with hiring CFI's, FSI grads, and even CAPT grads. I hear they are hiring at 600/100 these days, anyhow, so it's sort of a moot point, as a guy could easily get his CFI ratings for a lot less money and spend half a year instructing to meet the higher mins. If your point is that CAPT and ASA put out a better product than a guy who has some CFI time, then why is ASA still hiring from the CFI ranks? Personally, I think ASA is so desperate for pilots they are looking for warm bodies at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly is Gulfstream? Is that one of those Pay for jobs (or training) that everybody talks about (I have heard of TAB from reading here..that is very unfortunate for their students
frown.gif
)? I don't think that is ok, but at the same time, that is somebody elses decision to follow that path, not mine. If somebody else chooses to go that route instead of other methods that is up to them. I have always been a firm believer that you reap what you sow.

I never said that they put out a better product. I said they are trained to do exactly what the job entails. They have to meet the same standards as everyone else. It isn't as if they tell people, "well, since you are from FSA you don't have to pass the CRJ checkride". Don't they have to meet the same standards as everybody else? That is how I read it. I don't really see any special treatment besides not requiring as many hours. Ultimately, that can only be a detriment to ones chances with regards to meeting the airlines "standards". Obviously, less hours = less expereince, therefore being a CFI, IMO, can be nothing but beneficial.

If a low time pilot such as this can in no way really be as qualified as a higher time CFI then why are people upset here? Is it because these guys are taking jobs that the CFIs had to work longer for or is it because people are worried about safety? Or a combination of both? I understand both sides of the argument (but it is more difficult since I am not a CFI or a person in the ASA program).

What I don't understand is if they both have to undergo the same training and meet the same standards then how can one really be upset at all? If a low time guy from FSA can compete with a high time CFI in the same environment, maybe the standards themselves are what should be in question (testing, interviews, etc..)?

The arguement mentioned earlier in this thread (I think it was this thread, lol) about "only having experience flying around Florida" doesn't really hold any water since most CFIs fly around the same areas native to their airports as well. Taking into account Florida's wack weather, it would seem to me that flying around there would yield more variety in training then being a CFI in Phoenix, Texas, etc......and if so, are the CFIs from these areas less qualified then CFIs from areas which have a more diverse weather and traffic systems?

Your thoughts?

P.S. Sorry if I am writing to much. I find everything about flying fascinating and I am always interested in good discussions and hearing people's opinions (I am still learning about this stuff...of course, in flying, one is always learning something new. I guess you could say that the training never really ends).
smile.gif

I'll agree with you on the warm bodies comment. We are STARVING for pilots over here. Some lines are being built with over 90 hours, people are being extended and drafted left and right, and we only have about 20% of the reserves that we need! With deadhead time, cancellation, reschedules, etc....I'm getting paid about 115 hours this month!!!

Our training department is losing pilots to Airtran, Southwest etc.. so we can't even get the new recruits through training quick enough either. There is currently over a month wait for IOE!!!!!HELP.....

ASA should improve their retention rate with a better contract with their pilot group rather than lowering the experience level required of their new hires and making "deals" with some academies to hire 300 hour pilots into the right seat of a jet.

Just my not-so-humble opinion....

"What exactly is Gulfstream? Is that one of those Pay for jobs (or training) that everybody talks about"

Yes

"I have always been a firm believer that you reap what you sow."

That is no reason to support a system that lowers the career expectations for new hire regional pilots. Would you carry that logic to a scab and say "fine, go ahead and be a scab, you'll reap what you sow". I say it's better to educate the person on the probable outcome of their actions, based on past experience, in an attempt to get them to see things your way. It's much more proactive.

"What I don't understand is if they both have to undergo the same training and meet the same standards then how can one really be upset at all?"

Good question. I think airline training is somewhat artifical as it's not real world. The academies that produce 300 hour jet F/O's can do that by concentrating on jet sims and systems ground school that make it possible for them to get through initial airline training. However, they will lack the real world experience to be the asset to the cockpit that a higher time pilot will have. The "system" allows this to happen. There is no substitute for experience, in my view.

Regarding these street-to right seat programs, I think I understand where people are coming from. There are guys out there putting in time as CFI's, gaining experience, and doing the grunt work. In their case I can totally see why they might be upset. It is like working for a company for 10 years and then watching the CEO hire his yahoo nephew who just graduated from college. You may both have the same degree, but there is a difference in "street smarts". I, personally, would rather begin my career as a CFI. I think the experience is invaluable in itself. A CRJ sim can only test you on the technical aspects of flying and "what it takes" to get the job, not nessacarily "what it takes" to have a successful airline carreer. I'm sure being an airline pilot entails a TON of "WHOA...you'll never see that in the simulator" experiences. Hence the reasoning behind being a CFI. You just flat out bear witness to more.

If programs like what has been initated at ASA and FSA are truely and inherently problematic, bad things will happen. If they work and are effective, no matter how adversly they affect the pilot community, they will continue. Unfortunatley, unless it affects the bottom line, I doubt it matters much to many of these companies how people feel, no matter how right the people are. Add to that the fact that more and more of the younger generation seek the "quick fix" rather then working their way to the proverbial top and you end up with a bunch of happy fat-cats who sit back on their fourth point of contact collecting the money of the unknowing (and unwilling to know).

I hope this clarifies where I stand a little bit more. Sometimes it is tough to coney one's true feelings on a particular subject topic over the internet. It gets even tougher when you try doing it at 1am+ without much sleep to begin with. lol

[ QUOTE ]
Cav, the college comment was sarcasm. I wasn't aware I had to put the "sarcasm" emoticon after the sentence to convey it. My apologies. However, while college does increase your earning potential, you still often making very little out of the gates. Same with flying. That was the connection I was trying to make.

Hope this clarifies things.
smile.gif

P.S. I tried to add a "sarcasm" emoticon to the end of my reply before this one in the "Laziness and entitlement" section, but I was unable to edit my post (out of edit time or something along those lines). I hope you don't take any offense as none was intended.

[/ QUOTE ]

None taken...Good luck!

Thx, Cav.
smile.gif

Hopefully I'll be where many of you are one day.

Thank God for this forum. It should be REQUIRED reading for prospective students, current students, and those just starting out in the industry.

I dunno why the CFI would get mad, I'd just be thinking, well I'm going to get the same job as you, I just GOT paid to get there and you paid to get there.

Back