American Airlines to Hire 1500 pilots over the next 5 years.

JustinS

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-americanair-pilots-20130930,0,2973402.story
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-americanair-pilots-20130930,0,2973402.story

(Reuters) - American Airlines plans to hire 1,500 new pilots over the next five years and has offered to recall all pilots who are currently furloughed, it said in a U.S. regulatory filing on Monday.

The AMR Corp unit, which has been operating under Chapter 11 protection since late 2011 and is looking to emerge from bankruptcy by merging with US Airways Group Inc, said it would start recruiting later in the fall.

"We are building a strong, competitive and profitable new American which will create more opportunity for our people," AMR Chief Executive Officer Tom Horton said in a message to staff that was included in the filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Horton added that the carrier was still open to talks to settle the U.S. Justice Department lawsuit seeking to block the merger with US Airways. A federal judge will hear the case without a jury in November and decide whether the deal can go forward.

(Reporting by Karen Jacobs in Atlanta; Editing by Lisa Von Ahn)

New news... When was the last time American actually ever hired any pilots?

Is there a flow-thru agreement from Eagle or is that not in effect anymore? Or never was?

Do those flow through agreements ever actually come to fruition. I always thought they fell apart after some time for various reasons.

A few hundred eagle guys have had the opportunity to flow in the last 2-3 years, I haven't payed attention to how many accepted. 50% up to 25/mo of these new hires will be eagle guys.

I think there is. I was riding up on them and the CA was #10 away. He had been with Eagle 21 years.

I used to talk with an Eagle CA at the bar at the good ole commuter hotel in ORD who had been there nearly that long. Hes staying put at Eagle. The dude makes a healthy 6 figures with most of his months off. His goal in life was to fly airplanes for a living, make 6 figures and have a decent QOL.

Is there a flow-thru agreement from Eagle or is that not in effect anymore? Or never was?

'Letter 3', the original flow agreement, is winding down as pilots awarded numbers on the AA list flow these next few months.

The '824'- pilots awarded make-whole remedies flow after them. These are transferable slots awarded in seniority order. They can be bypassed and tick down the list to the next pilot who wants it.

The 'Protected Pilot' status pilots go next. That's everybody hired up to October of 2011. This was a product of an arbitration settlement in 2011. Guaranteed flow in seniority order, no interview, no medical pre-exam.

Via various agreements, IIRC, at least 33% of any AA class with new hires must be Eagle flowthroughs, at a minimum, with that percentage going to 50% any time any Eagle pilot is furloughed.

Then there are the street hires... For those who go that route.

Back