American To pay 15,000 signing bonus to new hires

Started at PDT today. Hearing Nov and Dec will only have 1 class each but 24 are confirmed for both. A friend and I interviewed a week apart and I started today while the next available for him was December and other guys in his group was Jan.

Started at PDT today. Hearing Nov and Dec will only have 1 class each but 24 are confirmed for both. A friend and I interviewed a week apart and I started today while the next available for him was December and other guys in his group was Jan.
Were you hired into the ERJ or Dash?

We find out tomorrow. Sounds like my class will be ERJ.
Congrats on starting class and good luck! I'll be right behind you in the Nov 7th class, they confirmed that it will be a large class for the E145 with no class late November.

Were you promised an airframe at any point or just open to what's available?
Recruiters said to expect the Dash, first day in training they said the jet, then the second day we got Dash manuals.

I was fine with either airframe

Regarding Piedmont
As of current bid they are reducing the dash. Lots getting forced to 145 due to reduction. This is in result due to bases of SBY & MDT closing at the end of January. ROA base will be closing too but will be last to go at the end of 2017. Dashes retire at 2 per month starting this Jan 1st . Every month reduction in positions for dash will be reduced severely. Forcing everyone ultimately to 145 and PHL base.

Regarding Piedmont
As of current bid they are reducing the dash. Lots getting forced to 145 due to reduction. This is in result due to bases of SBY & MDT closing at the end of January. ROA base will be closing too but will be last to go at the end of 2017. Dashes retire at 2 per month starting this Jan 1st . Every month reduction in positions for dash will be reduced severely. Forcing everyone ultimately to 145 and PHL base.

Is the Dash being sent to the boneyard or is anyone interested in them?

Regarding Piedmont
Wow. Are they planning on opening another hub base?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Wow. Are they planning on opening another hub base?

No announcements that I've heard, however rumor on the street (taken with a grain of salt) is yes. There've been whisperings of DCA from a couple people I've talked to, but that's probably just guesswork at this point (it might make more sense for PSA to open DCA instead, so we'll see what happens).

My take on it all is that they're focusing on PHL at the moment and solidifying more 145s and 145 transitions/hires before making any announcements.

So what am I missing? My77y says the recruiter told him to expect the Dash and his class did receive the Dash. Yet Planefun says they are closing two of the Dash bases in Jan and the other the end of 2017. Why train new hires on an airframe that will result in them back in training 6 months or less later?

So what am I missing? My77y says the recruiter told him to expect the Dash and his class did receive the Dash. Yet Planefun says they are closing two of the Dash bases in Jan and the other the end of 2017. Why train new hires on an airframe that will result in them back in training 6 months or less later?
The plan is to retire all the 100s over time and keep the 300s. Our instructor told us they plan on keeping the 300 around until 2020. Sounds like ROA will be the Dash base and PHL the jet base.

MDT SBY close end of January.
Leaves PHL & ROA as dash base ONLY until end of 2017. Written in stone announcement made to Company already.
There is 34 dashes they start retiring 2 per month upcoming Jan 1st .

If you do math will take little over year to get rid of them all. With that said the company needs to still train people into the Dash. Since someone still has to fly them. All the current guys going to the jet. Not everyone can go to jet --someone still needs to fly dash. The jet has had a huge influx of people bouncing to it . Especially since of the previous bases that closed EWN&CHO and the ones soon to close.

Company last week announced 1k $ additional per month for pilots to stay on dash 8 flying. Plus 145 pay scale to remain on dash.

The bases are closing planes going away but someone still has to fly the last flights.

Last edited:
If someone with prior 121 time gets hired, are they going to immediately go to the left seat of the dash (as recruiters are claiming)?

If so, what happens when all of the Dash's leave? Will they then go back to being an FO on the 145?

What's the pay while in training?

PSA just announced DCA crew domicile opening March 2017. We've been told that DCA and PHL will be the new focus for 2017 to make up for Air Wisconsin's draw down in flying and that ORD will be opened in 2018 (that's a long way away in regional world so take that however you want).

Back