American To pay 15,000 signing bonus to new hires

There's a two year contract attached to it, prorated in the second year. So yes, if you fail out they'll be looking for their money. Easy answer to that conundrum is don't buy that new car until you pass IOE.

Or just study. That helps too.

Huh? Can you point out where you've seen this? The only pro rated bonus I've seen is the $20k retention bonus paid out over the second and third years. From my understanding the $15k is paid at the beginning of training and there is no contract.

Isn't upgrade 6 - 8 years over at Envoy? Methinks they will need much more than a $15000 sign-on bonus to attract people over there.
Yeah but they sell the 5 year flow better than any airline. Fact check? Nope. I know many CFIs bragging about $$$ and a right seat GUARANTEED at American in 5 years...

I've heard that the bonus payout is day one of ground... Doesn't make much sense in the case of someone failing out at any stage of the training process. Maybe you are required to pay it back if you can't pass training?? Or maybe that rumor was false, not sure but either way it is great to see airlines finally willing to raise pay. Hopefully by next year 58K won't be industry leading, but the industry standard since all three WO's increased their wages.

58K for a first year regional FO.

Guess most have forgotten that is 20K more than a first year FO was making at a legacy carrier just over 18 months ago. :bang:

I love how AAG management will negotiate pay outside of Section 6 negotiations for the Wholly Owned carriers, yet they stand firm with the AA pilot group and tell us what we have is what we get...:rolleyes:

Guess most have forgotten that is 20K more than a first year FO was making at a legacy carrier just over 18 months ago. :bang:

I love how AAG management will negotiate pay outside of Section 6 negotiations for the Wholly Owned carriers, yet they stand firm with the AA pilot group and tell us what we have is what we get...:rolleyes:

Oh I didn't forget, I know first year pay even at majors were lacking a few years ago. US Air started in the mid 30's IIRC. Not saying it wasn't a reality and not trying to sound entitled, but the truth is the pay rates should not ever be that low in this profession...Especially at a "major" carrier. Just like Frontier pay rates right now, 36 for first year in an Airbus. Yet they require many hours and PIC time to be qualified, therefore forcing guys to take colossal paycuts in order to further their careers. If you are single sure, or if you come from money or have a spouse that can provide it is feasible. The truth is most in that stage of their career have families and simply cannot afford to make 30k for that first year.

I think the reason they are getting away with it is because no pay rates were changed. Just which "year" you start at.

Our FOs, with their bonuses make more than our Captains years 1-3. Its sad.

Sounds like PSA is going to announce DCA in the coming weeks. Remaining 30+ 700s to resume transfer Q1 2017 plus additional 900s after that if the company can keep attracting new hires. Over 400 "serious" applicants since the announcement of the pay increases and bonuses. 30 new hires for October and 40 for November. A couple of large upgrade classes coming up in the near future and currently upgrading 8 /month. Numerous regionals flying American's feed right now and that number will be reduced by several in the next couple years in favor of the WOs.

Oh I didn't forget, I know first year pay even at majors were lacking a few years ago. US Air started in the mid 30's IIRC. Not saying it wasn't a reality and not trying to sound entitled, but the truth is the pay rates should not ever be that low in this profession...Especially at a "major" carrier. Just like Frontier pay rates right now, 36 for first year in an Airbus. Yet they require many hours and PIC time to be qualified, therefore forcing guys to take colossal paycuts in order to further their careers. If you are single sure, or if you come from money or have a spouse that can provide it is feasible. The truth is most in that stage of their career have families and simply cannot afford to make 30k for that first year.

It wouldn't be so bad if you only had to bite if off once, but by the time you make it to frontier level it could be your 3rd or even 4th time on 1st year pay. In other words half or more of the years of experience you accrue will very likely be at 1st yr pay rates or instructing wages. It's a tough pill to swallow, and if you don't have deep pockets, you must be willing to defer gratification for a handful of years.

It wouldn't be so bad if you only had to bite if off once, but by the time you make it to frontier level it could be your 3rd or even 4th time on 1st year pay. In other words half or more of the years of experience you accrue will very likely be at 1st yr pay rates or instructing wages. It's a tough pill to swallow, and if you don't have deep pockets, you must be willing to defer gratification for a handful of years.

There is something inherently wrong when most first year regional FOs are making more than first year FOs at some LCCs. Spirit and Frontier really need to improve their pay.

There is something inherently wrong when most first year regional FOs are making more than first year FOs at some LCCs. Spirit and Frontier really need to improve their pay.

Crazy how that happened right? One is better off at the regionals $wise than at NK and F9. How on Earth are they even still pulling people nowadays....

Crazy how that happened right? One is better off at the regionals $wise than at NK and F9. How on Earth are they even still pulling people nowadays....

You do make a good point and I myself am not looking forward to taking a pay cut going from a E145 FO to a Bus FO for the first year but it will get better for NK and F9. As crazy as it sounds, a friend of mine made more his first year as a PC-12 FO at Surf air than a first year would at NK or F9........... I know it is taking awhile but the pay will come for the LCC guys.

The pay will likely stay as low as it can for as long as it can. These places are businesses, not charities. As long as they can fill classes with qualified applicants, the pay will likely remain low. That being said, the next couple years are going to get interesting. I wonder if regional pay will eventually come close to what one would expect to make years 1-3 at an LCC? If AAG and Delta decide it's still cheaper to pay its pilots another 50% more and keep offering defined career progression I think the LCCs would have a difficult time attracting new pilots.

Cuz there is life beyond first year pay. It's crap and we're working to bring it up but most at these places are looking further down the road than year 1, and/or playing the "where would I rather be when the music stops" game.

The pay will likely stay as low as it can for as long as it can. These places are businesses, not charities. As long as they can fill classes with qualified applicants, the pay will likely remain low. That being said, the next couple years are going to get interesting. I wonder if regional pay will eventually come close to what one would expect to make years 1-3 at an LCC? If AAG and Delta decide it's still cheaper to pay its pilots another 50% more and keep offering defined career progression I think the LCCs would have a difficult time attracting new pilots.
You're wise beyond your years.. Do you have a crystal ball? :)

Confirmed through a recruiter that Piedmont classes are filled through the new year and similar situation at Envoy in terms of new hires. I wonder how many of these are lateral moves versus applicants coming from outside of 121.

Confirmed through a recruiter that Piedmont classes are filled through the new year and similar situation at Envoy in terms of new hires. I wonder how many of these are lateral moves versus applicants coming from outside of 121.

Per a PDT recruiter, they are going to be running classes of 10-12 every 2 weeks (with a double class in early November and no late November class for the holidays).

PSA had 26 start today, and the next several classes are all about the same or more. Interviewing about 50 a week, and classes every 2 weeks.

They must be getting a lot of quality applicants, apparently they are getting slightly more picky. Recent job posting listed two checkride failures or less as a minimum requirement.

Back