Allegiant Air's prudent ways help it soar

...as well as paying their pilots below standard but that's OK as long as people can fly DSM-LAS-DSM for $212

Dang, thats expensive.

I've done BGR-SFB round trip for 104 after taxes and all that :nana2:

Beats the heck out of the nonrev roulette.

My wife and I flew them from St. Pete to Greensboro for $180 ... for both of us ... with taxes and all. Service was very good, but it is kind of the Greyhound of the sky. I'd probably pay more if they'd offer a "no white trash" section on the plane :D

My wife and I flew them from St. Pete to Greensboro for $180 ... for both of us ... with taxes and all. Service was very good, but it is kind of the Greyhound of the sky. I'd probably pay more if they'd offer a "no white trash" section on the plane :D

I was just in Springfield, MO (Branson) when they were deplaning their Vegas flight...classy folks on the Sin City-Branson route for sure.

I'm thinking of taking them XNA-LAX in the fall to take the little one to Disneyland. $220 roundtrip, nonstop.

...as well as paying their pilots below standard but that's OK as long as people can fly DSM-LAS-DSM for $212

Yeah but they do almost exclusively out and backs. Lots of time at home in your own bed = worth something. It is not all about the Benjamins. I'd go to work there in a heartbeat. Impressive company, good for them.

PCL (Now ATN) once stated that you could double pilot pay at the Tran, and presumably a lot of other airlines, and you would not significantly increase the CASM. It was an incredibly small number. Since I am of the belief that ATN wouldn't lie to me, I accept his numbers. But, if I accept his numbers, then it would also mean that the pilot pay being "depressed" at Allegiant is not the key to their success - since according to ATN (and I would presume ALPA - probably where he got the data) - that pilot pay as a percentage of CASM is not a huge driver. So, it would appear that Allegiant offers pilots enough money to do out and backs, and that the pilot pay issue is a function of a company not having to pay more than they have to for a given job...which is what you do when you own a company. Also - perhaps the pilots recieved an award of stock similiar to what the SWA guys got when they were new and not an industry leading contract? If that is the case, the prudent management of Allegiant is certainly helping that aspect of their compensation package.

PCL (Now ATN) once stated that you could double pilot pay at the Tran, and presumably a lot of other airlines, and you would not significantly increase the CASM. It was an incredibly small number. Since I am of the belief that ATN wouldn't lie to me, I accept his numbers. But, if I accept his numbers, then it would also mean that the pilot pay being "depressed" at Allegiant is not the key to their success - since according to ATN (and I would presume ALPA - probably where he got the data) - that pilot pay as a percentage of CASM is not a huge driver. So, it would appear that Allegiant offers pilots enough money to do out and backs, and that the pilot pay issue is a function of a company not having to pay more than they have to for a given job...which is what you do when you own a company. Also - perhaps the pilots recieved an award of stock similiar to what the SWA guys got when they were new and not an industry leading contract? If that is the case, the prudent management of Allegiant is certainly helping that aspect of their compensation package.

I dunno the airlines act like they are saving a TON of money by shifting flying to the regionals rather than mainline.

I've heard their name, but not really much else about them. Interesting article though.

I would think that the MD 80 strategy would work so long, right? I mean eventually the fuel prices will more than catch up to them.

Latest I've heard form an Allegiant pilot is possible interviews/hiring around September. They are still getting some more airplanes. All of their flying is out-and-backs. Home every night. Upgrades are still running around 2 years, but I'm guessing that will increase.

Another rumor I heard from a reliable source at Allegiant is the exploration of larger jets to Hawaii. That's based on future profits which seem to be working in their favor. Watch out Hawaii. Imagine a plane full of Dog The Bounty Hunter look alikes. ;)

Why are still running the MD's? Wouldn't it be more fuel efficient to have a Airbus or Boeing? Since Alaska got rid of theirs and American is next.

Why are still running the MD's? Wouldn't it be more fuel efficient to have a Airbus or Boeing? Since Alaska got rid of theirs and American is next.

I would imagine they are more cost effective in regards to other things other than fuel such as base price. ;)

They're cheap to buy, and they don't fly that much. There are entire days of the week Allegiant doesn't fly routes because they can't fill the Greyhound. These guys know what they're doing, and they do it very well.

They're cheap to buy, and they don't fly that much. There are entire days of the week Allegiant doesn't fly routes because they can't fill the Greyhound. These guys know what they're doing, and they do it very well.

:yeahthat: I believe they dont fly on Tuesdays.

Back