Allegiant Air's prudent ways help it soar

Personally, I'd rather be away from home three days a week and be able to afford to provide a very comfortable living situation for my family. There is no reason they need to be paying their pilots that much.

If you replace Allegiant with any regional airline, this thread would go to ten pages, minimum.

...as well as paying their pilots below standard but that's OK as long as people can fly DSM-LAS-DSM for $212

Hey, AJ where were your principles when you went on the free tour? :laff: :buck: :p

l_8afb988d6204ab9aba0e00cf2b03a563.jpg

Personally, I'd rather be away from home three days a week and be able to afford to provide a very comfortable living situation for my family. There is no reason they need to be paying their pilots that much.

If you replace Allegiant with any regional airline, this thread would go to ten pages, minimum.

To each his own, I guess. Personally, I'd rather make a little less money and be able to enjoy time at home with my kid rather than him being able to get a cool toy and just talk to him about it on the phone.

Obviously, I'd much prefer Southwest or jetBlue (both have MCO bases), but Allegiant is at least better than where I am now.

Yeah but they do almost exclusively out and backs. Lots of time at home in your own bed = worth something. It is not all about the Benjamins. I'd go to work there in a heartbeat. Impressive company, good for them.

Yeah you're right. It's not about the money when the difference is between $150,000 or $180,000. But when you're talking about making $40,000 or $90,000 it's a HUGE difference.

To each his own, I guess. Personally, I'd rather make a little less money and be able to enjoy time at home with my kid rather than him being able to get a cool toy and just talk to him about it on the phone.

I agree. When I'm looking for a job, I'd much prefer something that has good amount of time at home as opposed to the nicest cockpit or highest pay. I guess beggers can't be choosers though, I'll just have to see what's out there.

I certainly appreciate your dedication to your family. My father chose the same path as a long haul truck driver. In the end, though, it left him distant from his family with horrible mental health and physical issues. If given the choice, I would have rather seen him make less money, have us sacrifice a bit more, and not have to see him coming apart at 50 years of age.

Obviously, I'd much prefer Southwest or jetBlue (both have MCO bases), but Allegiant is at least better than where I am now.

Kellwolf I'm with you. Once JB or Allegiant begin hiring again, I'm all over it. Come join the Darkside.;)

Their mins are 3000 TT aren't they? Sent in my resume a while back. Didn't get an answer. Guess they don't know that I'll try again. :D

As a general rule, I find the best barometer of how great or terrible a place is to fly is how the people who fly there feel about it. I know two guys at Allegiant, both of whom are very happy. Doesn't mean it's right for everyone, but I would take a box of salt with the impressions of those who don't do it. That includes me, btw.

I understand your point of view. But do not underestimate the power of a good management team - a smart one. SWA didn't come out of the chute with industry leading pay - in fact, until 9-11 I think they still lagged (although the stock options were very worthwhile for the early guys - probably an equalizer). Be the best, then be first - that is my motto. These guys are getting their business practices, growth, etc down pat and being disciplined with growth. Financially, they are making it work - I would imagine pilot increases will follow, simply because it is cheaper than labor strife - SWA learned this and Allegiant is full of SWA alums.

As a general rule, I find the best barometer of how great or terrible a place is to fly is how the people who fly there feel about it. I know two guys at Allegiant, both of whom are very happy. Doesn't mean it's right for everyone, but I would take a box of salt with the impressions of those who don't do it. That includes me, btw.

Boris, when I hear you getting a little twinkled about 121 flying, I get a little afraid.

We're not talking a "little" less money though. We're talking thousands of dollars difference in potential earnings. Yes, there is benefit to being home every night. I cannot disagree with that. But you also need to consider things like funding you retirement, paying for your childrens college, and so forth. Are these things you are capable of doing at $59 an hour? Yes. But it would be much easier to do so at $98 an hour.

Personally, I would take a $27,000 a year pay cut by going to Allegiant. On their FO pay scale, I would never make up the difference. I just see this argument as no different from someone who went to work at Colgan so they could be based at home in Albany, NY.

Regarding their comparisons to SWA, I think the biggest thing the two airlines have in common is a niche market. SWA is now growing out of that niche, while Allegiant is doing well in theirs.

Personally, I would take a $27,000 a year pay cut by going to Allegiant. On their FO pay scale, I would never make up the difference. I just see this argument as no different from someone who went to work at Colgan so they could be based at home in Albany, NY.

I'd replace what I'm making now in year 3 on the FO pay scale. Kids, this is another difference in flying for a good regional (XJT) and flying for a less than good regional (9E). Matt's making a lot more than me AFTER concessions. IMO, I'll probably stick around here until I get 1000-1300 TPIC (which will be Dec at the rate I'm flying now), and then go somewhere else. If that's Allegiant, fine. That way, if the opportunity at SWA or elsewhere opens up, great. I've got the hours in to apply. At least I wouldn't be hitched to an air carrier that has to grovel to one customer and play cut throat against other airlines doing the same to stay in business.

FYI, Continental pays $10/hr LESS for first year FO than Allegient. Only difference in the two is I'd be back up to what I'm making now at year two at CAL vs year three at Allegient. Fact is, MOST places you go to from regional CA, you're gonna be taking a pay cut for a while.

No kiddin matt. I just dont get it.

Big difference. I don't know many regionals that have you home every night (unless you've been there 10+ years) and start FOs at $41/hr.

I'm not saying Allegient is top on my list, but if it's between staying at Pinnacle and going to Allegient....it's a no brainer for me.

You're not required to "get it". If you like being on the road all the time and making "bank", more power to you. I'd like to be at home a lot so I can drink a lot of beer and make my loved ones wish I were on the road a lot. To each their own, vive la differance etc etc.

The problem comes when guys who like being on the road and making a lot of money start claiming that guys who would rather be around the house being a horses ass and earning less are "assassinating the profession" or whatever.

You do your thing, I'll do mine. Presumably, we'll both be happy.

IMO, I'll probably stick around here until I get 1000-1300 TPIC (which will be Dec at the rate I'm flying now), and then go somewhere else. If that's Allegiant, fine. That way, if the opportunity at SWA or elsewhere opens up, great. I've got the hours in to apply. At least I wouldn't be hitched to an air carrier that has to grovel to one customer and play cut throat against other airlines doing the same to stay in business.

That's a good thought, but exactly who's hiring right now? And why would they want to hire you over a person that is furloughed from, well, pick a place, with around 10k and a few thousand widebody?

Not trying to pick on you, but the 1k turbopic and out is a dead animal for now, IMHO.

Back